French Polynesia South Pacific

Heartfelttraveler

Bandsman;

A little perspective please. Did you do private tours or do O tours? Did you wander far from port on the islands or stay close to port? Were your tours all day tours, or 9-1 and back for lunch aboard ship most of the time? Did you do snorkel tours or just island land sightseeing?

Trying to put your comments into some perspective. Thanks!

We were on the Jan 16 Lima/Tahiti cruise and had very good weather; the only rain was short-lived while on a day trip with Patrick's tour with lunch on a motu in Moorea.

We also lucked out with our two days on Easter Island - able to get ashore both days!

• 2 weeks later...
We've been back now 8 days since the Feb. 13 cruise, P-P. It was our first cruise with O and we did have a good time. However, in our opinion the ports were a big disappointment. Our expectations were higher but we still made it work especially when one considers the long flights. We felt very fortunate that the weather for us was awesome, even with the high humidity. I would struggle to recommend this cruise in comparison to all the other amazing cruises we've been on. Fortunately, we were with two of our best friends and it all worked out and I'm glad we have had the experience.

Our French Polynesia cruise will also be our first with Oceania and first to Tahiti. What were your disappointments with the ports? We will be 63 and 71 and are pretty active. Plan on lots of snorkeling. Did you take O excursions? Did you have any disappointments with Oceania?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our French Polynesia cruise will also be our first with Oceania and first to Tahiti. What were your disappointments with the ports? We will be 63 and 71 and are pretty active. Plan on lots of snorkeling. Did you take O excursions? Did you have any disappointments with Oceania?

Do the private snorkel tour with Patrick (Maoi Nui) in Bora Bora. Google his reviews and then book ASAP.

BTW, if all you've ever done previously is the Caribbean, you are in for a very pleasant surprise in Polynesia.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've been back now 8 days since the Feb. 13 cruise, P-P. It was our first cruise with O and we did have a good time. However, in our opinion the ports were a big disappointment. Our expectations were higher but we still made it work especially when one considers the long flights. We felt very fortunate that the weather for us was awesome, even with the high humidity. I would struggle to recommend this cruise in comparison to all the other amazing cruises we've been on. Fortunately, we were with two of our best friends and it all worked out and I'm glad we have had the experience.

One needs to do some homework, ALL South Pacific island ports are tiny and with the exception of Bora Bora, pretty un commercial...and rather to VERY primitive. In most cases the passengers out number the residents and the " tours" are a local guy with a van.with the door tied shut with a rope

If you want to see relative unspoiled pacific islands just be aware its not going to be like Honolulu ( LA with pineapples or Maui the southern Californian idea of how Hawaii should be). Its a shock that "unspoiled is also synonym for gnarly"

. The scenery is what you go for.. Any one who has great weather between November and April has to be very,very grateful That's Cyclone (Hurricane) season and there is a lot of wet and the bugs just love it then....

Lived in the region for 11 years...been to all the main island group' and that's my experience. Going to the So Pacific this time of year,( nov. to april) is a bit like going to Las Vegas with the idea of winning big at roulette

We were on Oceania in French Polynesia several years ago in January. It was a 10 day cruise. We saw the sun for 15 minutes. It literally started raining as we were walking up the gangplank, and the sun came out the day we docked at the end of the cruise. Our friends took the same cruise a couple years later at the same time, and they had beautiful, sunny weather. Guess you never know.

Heartfeltraveler - - we simply expected the ports to offer a bit more if one just wants to poke around. Bora Bora was great fun with the catamaran/snorkel tour and Raiatea was a place I wish we could have had more time as we were docked at the pier. At other stops we did our own tours. The ship is beautiful and well appointed, first class. However, at the specialty restaurant, Toscano we had really bizarre evening with the server, tried to serve us salads twice and couldn't remember who was supposed to get what for the entree. Something weird was going on that night and the manager was clueless. The second time we went to Jacques we were seated promptly with menu's but after 20 minutes we had to flag down the maitre'd so we could order. The real highlight for food was the Red Ginger, outstanding and La Reserve was, without question one of the finest restaurants we've ever enjoyed, a close 2nd to Commanders Palace in New Orleans. Just bite the bullet and spend the money on La Reserve, worth every penny. I'm glad we did the trip, sure helps break up the winter blahs. Our next cruise takes us to London and Norway later this year and I'm hoping we can do Europe again next summer (2019) on a river cruise with our close friends,. But the one I'm really hoping we can do in 2020 is New Zealand. You will have a great time on Marina but be ready for humidity ..... sure beats wind chills.

Just disembarked Marina this morning... sitting around at the Tahiti interContinental awaiting our room.....

You definitely need to do some homework regarding the ports of call and what you want to do/see. Regarding Nuku Hiva and Fakarava, there is barely anything available to any cruiser wanting to step off the cruise ship and wing it like you commonly do everywhere else in the world... many disappointed cruisers that made zero plans. I guess they all thought it was smart to land on an island with 4000 inhabitants from a 1000 passenger ship and expect hundreds of taxis and options (wink - hint).

Friends of ours took most O excursions and were highly disappointed with 3 hour tours that were cattle calls. They were highly jealous of our one of a kind experiences with private tours. 3 hr jet ski in Bora Bora was $229 per person through O...$250 for both of us direct from tour

provider on shore right at the pier (we grabbed the last two spots for the next day)

Re Patrick’s tour in Bora Bora, as Hawaiian Dan mentioned 150 million % must do. And yes, book it a year in advance. Also must do’s and in my books better than Patrick was Temarama Tour in Nuku Hiva .... #1 was Atto Lissant snorkel/motu lunch/shark diving in Fakarava... all these guys book months if not a year in advance and we’re all outstanding.

I’m hoping to begin a full review when I get back home (see my signature below for examples of other photo ship and port reviews)

Bottom line.... in my top 5 vacations ever in my life, one of my top 3 cruises (regarding the ship, service, food) ever. This is a must see & cruise destination. Simply outstanding. Have fun planning [emoji1]

(P.s. I believe port side balconies had the superior views for most of the ports)

IMG_2827.thumb.jpg.9573027cf7cdbd9b6b96592bbd05f2fd.jpg

Re Patrick’s tour in Bora Bora, as Hawaiian Dan mentioned 150 million % must do. And yes, book it a year in advance. Also must do’s and in my books better than Patrick was Temarama Tour in Nuku Hiva .... #1 was Atto Lissant snorkel/motu lunch/shark diving in Fakarava... all these guys book months if not a year in advance and we’re all outstanding.

Which of the Temarama tours did you do? Do you mind sharing the pricing - the website does not provide much information. I did send an email and am waiting for a response. Thanks.

Which of the Temarama tours did you do? Do you mind sharing the pricing - the website does not provide much information. I did send an email and am waiting for a response. Thanks.

It was $150US with lunch included or $125US without lunch. I had quite a bit of Euro along for this trip which can be advantageous in various ports so it was 105euro (no lunch) if you prefer.

Btw, the exchange for xpf is currently around 80 cents US.... or 120 Euro at the airport as well as hotels. If you already have Euro, WAY better with euro if you have some to bring with you especially for the exchange at the airport.

All tour providers except one we’re cash only. All tour providers took US$. Established shops around port take US$. Local lunches, buying cash only souvenirs (ie. carvings, etc) were cash only xpf

Exchange booth super say to find at PPT airport once off the plane. Also if staying at interContinental Tahiti pre cruise they will also exchange at front desk.

Forgot to mention re Patrick’s tour.... that day in Bora Bora also the Paul Gauguin was in port with us. We had our day with Patrick’s “daughter” Viatare (she does most of the email responses). We did not see Patrick at all so we missed out on his personal day of fun including his famous fire dance, so our version of our tour was a little disappointing from all the pics and videos I’ve seen in reviews. Nonetheless a 9.5/10 day instead of 10 out of 10, still awesome. Turns out, and I quote, he’s “contracted” to Paul Gaugin when they are in town.... I assume “contracted” actually means “committed” perhaps? Bottom line seems that Gauguin cruisers take first priority.

Thanks Hoopster95. Which Temarama tour did you do & how what was the pricing? The website shows 3 different 4x4 tours, plus some others like horseback riding and a trip to a waterfall.

Hoopster95's picture shows one of the best things about the FP cruise. We left most ports or finished our tours in time for trivia every day then retired to our balcony for drinks and often sail away and sunset. I hope future cruisers in this area have good balcony weather and balconies. But as said above, do your research and book private tours everywhere if possible. This was our first O cruise and the one that made us do two more.

Thanks Hoopster95. Which Temarama tour did you do & how what was the pricing? The website shows 3 different 4x4 tours, plus some others like horseback riding and a trip to a waterfall.

Waterfall I personally feel is not doable for 99% for most all cruisers. Without insulting anyone I’ll be very general with my Next comment.... You Must be extremely fit, experienced hiker, and should be on a day where the ship overnights just in case there’s an issue (ie. Injury, etc). There’s no escape route or emergency backup plan. It’s a 40min boat ride, 2 hour very strenuous hike (through rivers, bush whacking) BOTH WAYS.... so almost 6 hours of transit before seeing anything. It is not accessible from land. Many cruisers talked about this waterfall on our cruise without doing any research whatsoever... I heard Zero people attempting it. The day before our Temarama tour, our 1 hour hike to Anaho Bay 300 meter elevation in torrential downpour/mud riverS was bad enough.

Horseback would also be Limited to just a few sites that are inland. The 4x4 tour is absolutely the best way to go

Which of the three 4x4 tours did you do? I emailed him a few days ago and still no response. Does he usually take a long time to respond?

As far as I know he only has one full day 4x4 tour for cruise passengers.

Yes, he takes time to respond as he only has wifi access close to town and the port, he says his internet access is poor and tries to email back every 2-3 days.

Marquesas is still on satellite, they are getting cable connection this coming January from

Tahiti so things will improve.

We have been to FP three times, all during the rainy season. Twice on the 200 passenger Wind Star sailing ships and once on the 900 passenger Pacific Princess. Rain was never a problem, it rained once a day for a very short time. If you are going for things to do or be entertained, don't bother. If you are going to see one of the most beautiful places on earth, relax, enjoy the slowness of it all, and have cocktail on deck; it is for you ! We have loved it every time. If you scuba or snorkel...do not miss it ! We dove on our first two trips and on the last one did not. We enjoyed them all equally. We have stayed on outer islands in the overwater bungalows and that is not to be missed. This is and remains what Hawaii was 50 years ago. Yes, it can be hot, rainy, and humid. It is the tropics, be prepared to embrace that or don't go. Bucket list? Oh, my, yes ! The only place that rivals its beauty in the Pacific is Palau. I tell people the three most beautiful places I have been on this earth (for different reasons) is Bora Bora, flying through the mountains around Denali and landing on Mount McKinley, and spending time in the small villages of Vietnam. Private excursions are always best in FP (the few that there are). Happy sailing !

I would love to hear about your weather experience on any of the French Polynesia cruises. Oceania does this itinerary January - March which is the down season.

Also, have you done this area on any of the competing cruises lines April - December and was the weather that much better?

We took O's Lima/Papeete 1-16-18 cruise and our weather was gorgeous! We were even blessed with our two days to Rana Nui (Easter Island), although the swells on the first day were quite intimidating. Oh, yes, we had about an hour of rain the day we were on Moorea.

As far as I know he only has one full day 4x4 tour for cruise passengers.

Yes, he takes time to respond as he only has wifi access close to town and the port, he says his internet access is poor and tries to email back every 2-3 days.

Marquesas is still on satellite, they are getting cable connection this coming January from

Tahiti so things will improve.

When you click on 4x4 tours, there is a choice of "discovering tour", "evasion circuit" and "adventure circuit" so it looks like you have a choice of 3 different tours

When you click on 4x4 tours, there is a choice of "discovering tour", "evasion circuit" and "adventure circuit" so it looks like you have a choice of 3 different tours

All of the Adventure Circuit was what we did + a couple of extra stops. We did his tour on the second day we were there so it was a full day. The first day we arrived at 12pm, so by the time cruisers were off the tenders I only assume his tours didn't start until 1-1:30pm so they would have had the 1/2 day Envision Tour?... what a shame.... do not do the 1/2 day! The best parts/most beautiful of the island are the farthest

A friend was on the February 3 cruise--and said the weather was awful--loved the ship, the food, the bed--but they went to be able to sun and snorkel--not possible in the rain. They went a few years ago with Princess in October and had a marvelous time because they were able to be in the water every day in port. They wished Oceania would sail this itinerary during August to October.