Help...how often is Philadelphia Airport shut?

chemmo

Thanks, great advice, we have noted down a couple of possible hotel options. We are booked business so perhaps AA will look after us if we are stranded!

Chemmo, we’re in the DC metro area, north of DC, and we’ve had rain, sleet and snow since this morning. We’re predicted to have 6-12 inches of heavy snow before 8 pm Wednesday. It’s not unusual for the northeast corridor to have widespread power outages in this sort of weather. Cellular service disruptions are also possible. I recommend you charge your essential phones, tablets and laptops whenever possible, just in case. Also, if you’ve a couple of small pocket torches, take them along. I’m truly hoping AA will reroute you. I know this is a very special cruise for you, and I’m keeping fingers crossed that you make it with time to spare!

Chemmo. I just drove out of Philadelphia to a northern suburb (I live about 45 minutes from the airport) and it is changing over to snow in my neighborhood but the roads were just wet. Everything is icy under the snow. The news I watch said that we are going to get 8-14 inches of snow with the worst being in the afternoon and evening tomorrow. They also just showed a shot of the airport and said there are already delays. All public and Catholic schools in the city of Philadelphia have already closed for tomorrow so I am expecting it to be a rough one. You can pick up a live stream of our Philadelphia news here: https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com

Can you possibly call the U.S. number for A.A. and see if they can help you out with a flight change?

Forgot to mention that I found the airport Twitter feed the most up to date when I was in a similar situation. The American Airlines Twitter feed lists some information about the possibility of flight changes without penalty, and there’s a link to see if you may change your flight online. Here are the links:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp

https://mobile.twitter.com/PHLAirport?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Best of luck to you!

Flight across the pond now cancelled. Queuing to speak to someone on AA...

Oh dear! I hope they can get you onto another flight to at least get you in the states. From there, there are many possible routes to get you to Florida! Best wishes! And kudos for being so proactive with extra days for cushion!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were scheduled to fly out of Philly on Jan 4, the day of a blizzard. American had our flight on time. We "finally" got to the airport and had a bite to eat and a drink. Went to the gate and waited. Flight on time, Flight on time...flight delayed...flight cancelled. American conveniently rescheduled us for a flight on Sat...the ship left on Fri. We told them NO...they had a flight out of Washington National Airport at 5pm and 7pm. We decided it was better to take the 7pm. We had to leave our luggage in Philly! We got to DC, checked in...flight on time. We had dinner and had a drink! Went to the gate. Boarded the plane and took off! Arrived in Miami. Turned our phones back on and had a message from American..our luggage was in Miami. Okay...they did have any seats available but our luggage managed to get on the first flight out of Philly that day! Got to our hotel in Miami and had a drink! Yes...Bar Hopping to the extreme!

We were very thankful that we arrived in Miami in time to board the ship....that our luggage arrived in time so that we would not be nudist on the cruise!...

Yes..it was a stressful way to begin the cruise...but we had a great time!

Flight across the pond now cancelled. Queuing to speak to someone on AA...

Sincere good/best wishes for you to make it Westward and get over here! AA just has to take care of you, and we are looking forward to your post about the flight that actually brings you over on our side.

Scanditaly

We fly out from the U.K. tomorrow to Orlando via Philadelphia and had a warning from AA about expected bad weather that could interfere with flights...If any of you live there just how bad is the weather expected to be? AA are giving out very little information.

How often does Philly airport close owing to bad weather?

I would be very grateful for any information...

We are having a major snow storm and when this happens most of the airlines cancel flights 12- 24 hours before because the airlines don't want there planes and crews stuck in a city during a major snow storm. The whole north east coast (Washington, Philadelphia, All the New York Airports, and Boston) will be affected by this massive storm. I have learned that in the winter to fly out a couple of days early and watch the weather. If the airlines know they are most likely going to declare a snow emergency and cancel flights they will let you change to an earlier flight with no extra charge because it is a massive mess to move everybody who missed their flights because of a major storm..

and we are sick of winter here, this is the forth Northeaster in March and yesterday was the first day of Spring.

That's one of the main reasons we moved from NJ to Myrtle Beach. :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing, GerScot. On their original itinerary, they would have had to have left LHR by around 0930 to reach Philly in the early afternoon. Hopefully, they were put on a similar flight that connects in MIA or Charlotte. Fingers crossed!

Greetings from Fort Lauderdale, Florida....1am US time, 5 am UK time....

In all fairness AA and BA juggled us through via LHR, Dallas and on to MIA. The fact at the moment 2 out of 3 of our suitcases are missing still cannot take the smile off our faces that we are here!

Too tired to post more...

Sincere gratetude for all the great advice and wonderfully supportive messages....they really have supported us through a difficult day!

Couldn’t update sooner we have been running (literally) through terminals...