Oceania/Nautica: 1st Timers!! Tips, Secrets?

TLCOhio

A question about average time to get onboard a tender on a R ship, please.

My first Oceania trip is coming up.

We have a private tour with quite a tight start time.

We are very familiar with the port, and know it's only about 10 minutes actual tender run time, and there are 2 docks ashore the tenders can use simultaneously.

On average, with no weather factors, and your experience on R ships, how long would you guess until independents with no priority are on a tender after the ship has received clearance from the local authorities ?

PS: My guess is that ship excursions may be moderately popular at this port.

Thanks.

Oceania does usually give priority to their own tours and the use of tenders. Tender tickets are used for those leaving the ship without an O tour. They are distributed in the lounge on Deck 5 forward.

My suggestion is talk with the destination services manager and explain the situation. Our last port on Regatta (Komodo), the private tour we were on was the first off the ship so it is not set in stone. Make sure all parties are there in the lounge at the proper time -- since they will not give you the tender tickets until everyone in your party is present. Normally we have found they will intersperse private tours people with the O tours. The key is to be there early to get your tickets.

You asked the question about internet performance on the R ships.

Ship Regatta. Capacity near fully with around 587 guests plus full crew. Server has been constantly the same for comparison (being Miami ATT)

Typical Speeds: 12/20 -11AM Embarkation day (few passenger on line) -- 6.8mbs up and 4.1 down (ping 727ms and packet jitter a low 85ms )

WOW!! Appreciate this great technical data and detailed follow-up from Paul. Very impressive!! It is somewhat over my brain level, but I get the general direction and technical differences. For me, I do much writing and prep off-line before signing on to upload, post, etc. Wonderful that there is so much helpful sharing on this thread.

Now mainly focused on final prep for our month-long, first adventure in Southeast Asia. Depart in two weeks for that Hong Kong, Vietnam, etc., trip. Keep it coming!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 192,879 views for this posting.

Not to put a damper on this but we've found over "teenager" numbers of cruises that each one is different. We were in Amalfi on Marina in 2011 and our group did NOT get off early. We were actually half an hour late meeting our guide. (This problem might NOT have arisen on an "R" ship. Maybe.)

Most of the time it isn't a problem but be prepared for the possibility. In terms of that Amalfi debacle -- well, it really wasn't all that bad! I had asked Destinations when we should be there for a 9am arrival on shore, and we abided by their advice -- we were all actually a bit early. BUT we had to wait ...

So just because some say there is no problem, bear in mind that there could be problems ... and plan accordingly. Talking to officials on board is not a bad way to go.

In general, we haven't had problems either. But we did that one time.

Nowadays (I don't know if this policy was in effect in 2011) if you have a gold card you can just go to the ramp. Of course, if you are a private group and one couple has a gold card and the others don't ... :( But if you all do, there wouldn't be a problem at all.

Good luck! The odds are you will do fine. I'm just suggesting that you should not ASSUME so.

Mura

N

Nowadays (I don't know if this policy was in effect in 2011) if you have a gold card you can just go to the ramp. Of course, if you are a private group and one couple has a gold card and the others don't ... :( But if you all do, there wouldn't be a problem at all.

Not in a PH -- still have to get a tender ticket.

From the London/UK Daily Mail travel section this morning, they have this headline: Oceania Cruises comes top of the ranking with these highlights: Oceania sails to destinations across the globe but on smaller ships carrying no more than 1,250 cruise-goers. The company scored five stars out of five across many of the categories, including the crucial passenger-to-space rating.

We are getting ready for our first sailing with Oceania. Nice to read these details. Their test grouping did not include some higher-end, more costly cruise lines such as Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn, Regent, etc. This story also noted: "many of the passenger praised the quality of the food available on board as well as the facilities such as the spa, fitness centres and sauna. The only downside is the entertainment, for which the study only awarded three stars, but overall it says the experience justifies the high price tag."

Added reactions and thoughts from experienced Oceania customers? Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-5246927/The-best-worst-cruise-lines-2018-named.html

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Here is the chart from the Daily Mail that summarizes the details/comparison from this research.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-01-09%20at%208.02.40%20AM_zpsiapajkqu.png

• 2 weeks later...

We have found that the first few tenders may go before the first tour leaves, so it can be good to get there early. Also it did seem that each tender included at least some independent travelers, so our wait was never more than 15-20 minutes on Regatta in Alaska. But it is like asking whether you will make your flight connection. You never really know. We were several hours late arriving at one port. We had a ship tour which was rescheduled and available when we arrived. I think the private tour guides also know to pay attention to any changes in the ship arrival time.

We have found that the first few tenders may go before the first tour leaves, so it can be good to get there early. Also it did seem that each tender included at least some independent travelers, so our wait was never more than 15-20 minutes on Regatta in Alaska. But it is like asking whether you will make your flight connection. You never really know. We were several hours late arriving at one port. We had a ship tour which was rescheduled and available when we arrived. I think the private tour guides also know to pay attention to any changes in the ship arrival time.

The times for all port excursions are published in the Currents. Just plan your tender time in between Or as stated above for before the excursions occur.

While we have never sailed with Oceania, we have a booking made for Nov. 16-Dec. 6, 2018, Athens to Dubai with stops in Rhodes, Cyprus, Israel, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, etc. This offers many exciting stops for our first visit to these parts of the Middle East. Would love to hear more from any experienced and smart travelers about the Nautica, Oceania and/or these locations. Have a few questions related for us and another couple from Central Ohio as first-timers with Oceania.

1. What is the biggest "secret", favorite place, best tips, etc., to maximized and enjoy time on the Nautica? Ours would be a twenty-day cruise with five sea-days. There are several places to enjoy time away from stateroom.. the library sitting room is comfortable with areas with comfy couches and chairs. Martini lounge area during non operational hours is also a quiet place to relax with a good book or your iPad.

Days at sea can be filled with trivia, bingo last day of bingo someone won over 2,000 cash. My husband and I learned how to play bridge. There are instructors , the best who teach beginners and intermediates as well as host the experts for duplicate bridge. The is an outstanding afternoon tea with white glove service. Nightly entertainment is reportedly great however, being early birds we did not take advantage of shows or parties.

2. The basic balcony room on this ship are little smaller than what we have previously done with Silversea, Celebrity, etc. Any tips to maximize on this limited cabin size or best places to find away from the cabin for hanging out, escaping, making your "haven", etc.? We too have travelled on ships with larger rooms however, the rooms are adequate as most of time is outside, deck etc..

3. Did the any-time dining work well in the evenings? Which of the two speciality dining places was your top favorite? Why? Favorite meal treats while with Oceania? Will the main dining room do any "special requests" with advance notice?

Ok.. here is a little secret... you can get lobster, lamb chops and steaks every night. all you can eat in Terrace Restaurant.

The dining room meals are good but some days hit or miss. The specialty restaurants Toscana and the Polo grill are good.

4. For evening entertainment, any special highlights, super loves, best tips, aspects to avoid, etc.?

5. Are ship speakers on the ship for this type of journey generally pretty good, interesting and approachable for chatting, etc.? The ship speakers are very good and are approachable

6. On ship tours with Oceania, how "full" or packed are most of the buses with their tours? 15-20 people? 30-35 on the bus/tour? Or 40 or so? Depends if you are in a mini van or bus. They seem to hold the number to 30-35 on buses.

7. Have heard great things on the staff. Is the staff on the ship fairly experienced or having a higher mix of "newer" people? Are most of the dining and room service staff from Europe or Philippines/India? Or, a wider mix? Most speaking fairly well in English? The staff are excellent and some are more engaging that others. The ship just got a new Chef Gary and he is truly interested in travel opinion regarding food on the spot. The staff speak English, however i noted them speaking other languages as well, Italian, Spanish, and Mandarin.

8. What else should I have asked? Or, most need to know, understand, expect, etc.?

Internet is very expensive.. if you need access to internet buy the package which could run you over 800.00 or get it as an option. The cruise is country casual and you will find a good explanation in your packet to come. Also, if you plan to get a lot of excursion then look at the option of getting a discount for 6 or more per person. You will enjoy.

While Oceania my pay for airfare, they get bulk rate etc. My husband and I traveled from Tampa to Cape Town last month and did not get a chance to choose our seats prior to flight, When we got to airport found out we were sitting in row 65 in the middle with people beside us on a full plane. This is 20 hours flight with a stop in Senegal on South African Air. My husband and I are no spring chickens and that flight would have been deadly for us.. so I had to upgrade beg every 15 minutes or so hoping someone would cancel.. a couple did cancel and we were able to upgrade to business class for the staggering amount of $2500.00 per person.. So yep there goes extras.. So line up your seats best you can...

We are going on the Regatta in March and we took a credit for the flight and flying first class on our own. Almost break even.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

6. On ship tours with Oceania, how "full" or packed are most of the buses with their tours? 15-20 people? 30-35 on the bus/tour? Or 40 or so?

Terry, it depends on the tour company on land. We have had mini busses and large busses. The quality also depended on the land based company. I did not see any difference to tours booked with other cruise lines. One tour guide even mentioned that he usually has HAL passengers.

The only 'upscale' tour we ever took was the flight to Tikal. I describe it in the "Chichen Itza" thread.

There are several places to enjoy time away from stateroom.. the library sitting room is comfortable with areas with comfy couches and chairs. Martini lounge area during non operational hours is also a quiet place to relax with a good book or your iPad. The is an outstanding afternoon tea with white glove service. Nightly entertainment is reportedly great however, being early birds we did not take advantage of shows or parties.

Appreciate these excellent comments and follow-ups from Goingbroke, Floridiana, PaulMCO, etc. YES!! Very, very helpful and interesting. Keep up this great sharing.

We are now doing our first visit to Southeast Asia. Getting ready now to fly from Hong Kong to Bangkok. Then Vietnam and Cambodia, including a seven-day Mekong River cruise, with Angkor Wat, Hanoi, Halong Bay and Hue/Danang to follow. Will do a live/blog starting in a few days on the River Cruising part of Cruise Critic for this trip.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 229,546 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 1 month later...

YES, we are now back from our first river boat and Avalon sailing. It was for the Mekong River!!

Well-pleased with Avalon, the ship, staff, food, tours, etc. On my live/blog, there are dozens of pictures and many details to document these fun adventures and travels. Happy on the live/blog to answer any and all questions, share more info/background, etc.

Now, we shift our focus and attention to mid November, 2018, for our Athens to Dubai, 20-day cruise with Oceania, including our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Middle East, etc. Many options to consider and logistics to research. Keep hearing great things from other travelers about Oceania, the staff, their food, etc.

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Here are just a few visuals samples from what we saw and did with Avalon while sailing along the Mekong River in Vietnam and Cambodia. Many, many more photos and details on the full live/blog.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

CMY_0654%202_zpsu3xzdbr1.jpg

CMY_1642%202_zpsylne46ki.jpg

CMY_1874_zpskuw4drgj.jpg

We saw many temples, palaces, markets and samples of daily life/work, including at this below spectacular Royal structure in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.:

CMY_1271_zpsif0trcea.jpg

CMY_1025%203_zpsn1ha0rtn.jpg

CMY_0470%201_zpsdpnhanc1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This morning was the first day to do bookings on tours with Oceania for our mid-November Athens to Dubai trip. We have the O-Life optionsthat could include the potential for eight tours being "free" and included (if they are $199 pp or less) as a part of this benefit package.

The process was easy and simple. All booked and done. The best part?? When completed at check-out, the total price was ZERO!! If booking separately, it would have been $1352. That was nice.

We have previously been to Patmos and will figure our own "creative" option for there on this trip. Maybe something radical like hanging out on the beach? For the two days each for Israel and Luxor, we would aim to do private, overnight options. Things are starting to come together!!

Questions? How many days ahead do the booking open up for the two speciality dining options on the Nautica? What are the latest pro/con factors and special tips for the Polo Grill versus Toscana? Lots of very good options to consider.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 198,930 views for this posting.

When can I make reservations in the specialty restaurant?

Specialty restaurant reservations may be made in advance in the Booked Cruises section of My Account on our website, or by phone, according to the schedule below, and may be changed up until 7 days prior to sailing. Reservations must be paid in full prior to making reservations. Reservations may also be made onboard. Guests with priority embarkation privileges (Concierge and above) will have Priority Reservations from 11:00am until 1:00pm in Polo Grill. Guests in other staterooms can make their specialty restaurant reservations from 1:00pm - 5pm.

Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite and Oceania Suite

Advance reservations may be made on the date final payment is due and has been received, which varies between 90 and 150 days, depending on length of sailing.

Penthouse Suite

Reservations may be made 75 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full.

Concierge Level Veranda

Reservations may be made 60 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full.

All Other Categories

Reservations may be made 45 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full.

Enjoy Nautica Terry!

How many days ahead do the booking open up for the two speciality dining options on the Nautica?

The length of time before the cruise when the Restaurant Reservation system opens is dependent on ones cabin Category:

MakingSpecialty Restaurant Reservations:

In order to Reserve Online, the Booking must be paid in full.

-The Online Dining Reservation System closes out at 7 days prior to each sailing's embarkation date.

For All Vessels:

-Owner's, Vista and Oceania Suites may makereservations at 90 days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Penthouse Suites may make reservations at 75days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Concierge Level Veranda Staterooms may makereservations at 60 days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Staterooms maymake reservations at 45 days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Number of Reservations, Regatta, Insignia,Nautica, Sirena:

Owner's Suite, Vista Suite, Penthouse Suite andConcierge Level Veranda

0-7 Sailing Days: 1 reservations at eachrestaurant

8-17 Sailing Days: 2 reservations at eachrestaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 3 reservations at eachrestaurant

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom

0-7 Sailing Days: 1 reservations at each restaurant

8-17 Sailing Days: 1 reservations at eachrestaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 2 reservations at eachrestaurant

Number of Reservations, Marina and Riviera:

Owner's Suites, Vista Suites, Oceania Suites

0-7 Sailing Days: 1 reservation at eachrestaurant

8-17 Sailing Days: 2 reservations at eachrestaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 3 reservations at eachrestaurant

Penthouse Suites

0-7 Sailing Days: 1 reservation at eachrestaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 2 reservations at eachrestaurant

Concierge Level Veranda, Veranda, Ocean Viewand Inside Stateroom

0-7 Sailing Days: 1 reservations at eachrestaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 1 reservations at eachrestaurant

All reservations have a maximum of 8 guests pertable.

Can I tag onto Terry's dining question rather than starting a new thread...Le Reserve..does that open up at the same time as the dining? in my case 45 days, or is it treated differently?

Tx

La Reserve is treated differently because you pay at the time of Reservation, and Oceania is happy to take your money as soon as the nights for the differing menus are announced.

Keep an eye on your cruise planner for when that is, could be as early as 6 months out.

La Reserve is treated differently because you pay at the time of Reservation, and Oceania is happy to take your money as soon as the nights for the differing menus are announced.

Keep an eye on your cruise planner for when that is, could be as early as 6 months out.

Thank you. It's my husband's birthday while on the cruise so I'll keep my eyes peeled for something that night. I had a feeling they would want the money as soon as possible ;)

Can I tag onto Terry's dining question rather than starting a new thread...Le Reserve..does that open up at the same time as the dining? in my case 45 days, or is it treated differently? Tx

Appreciate this great info and super follow-up from JimandStan. Very helpful!! Am I understanding correctly that La Reserve is only open for dinner on board the Marina & Riviera ships? Not on Nautica? More background?

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 55,509 views for these postings.

Appreciate this great info and super follow-up from JimandStan. Very helpful!! Am I understanding correctly that La Reserve is only open for dinner on board the Marina & Riviera ships? Not on Nautica? More background?

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 55,509 views for these postings.

I believe you are correct, it's only on Marina & Riviera

Thank all of you for your comments on the R ships of Oceania. We have only sailed on the Marina to date, but are booked later this year on the Insignia and will celebrate my wife's birthday at sea.

Lots of good information will make our cruise much more enjoyable!