Ordered Ashore From Golden Princess

VK3DQ

Hello Folks

I was on the Christmas cruise on board Golden Princess, I was taken ill three days into the cruise and was put off the ship in Tauraga and dropped at the local hospital and just left with no support from Princess at all

To cut a long story short whilst I am insured I had to cover all my costs to get back to Australia on my own and whilst feeling very unwell and in some difficulty .. my insurance company (insure and Go) were totally unhelpful

My wife and 92 y/o MIL are still on board and I have not been able to contact them or get a message to them to tell them I am safely home

The telephone number for the ship does not work , and Despite a call to a Princess emergency help line have no word at all

If there is anyone on the forums that has a working e-mail for Golden Princess or anyone who is on board can they please pass a message to my Wife Jean Fisher Stateroom D623 and let her know I am safely home I would be very grateful

Regards

John

John

That's terrible news - I hope you are feeling better now

I'm sure CC members will be able to point you in the right direction to reach the ship or someone at Princess who can connect you to your wife

Have you tried this number which is listed as the phone number for Golden Princess in their FAQ: To dial from Australia - 0011 870 331 034 410 - another site has it listed as 0011 870 331 034 411 - I suggest you try one of those numbers

Not sure why the staff on the ship have not arranged for your wife to be able to ring you or friends or family to check on your health?

Later on when things settle down I'd be interesting in hearing of your experience with Insure & Go - disappointing they weren't helpful when you had your medical issues that needed attending to in NZ - hopefully they accept your claim and you are reimbursed for your costs

Best wishes and I hope you are able to contact her soon

Edited by Bodogbodog

John

That's terrible news - I hope you are feeling better now

I'm sure CC members will be able to point you in the right direction to reach the ship or someone at Princess who can connect you to your wife

Not sure why the staff on the ship have not arranged for your wife to be able to ring you or friends or family to check on your health?

Later on when things settle down I'd be interesting in hearing of your experience with Insure & Go - disappointing they weren't helpful when you had your medical issues that needed attending to in NZ - hopefully they accept your claim and you are reimbursed for your costs

Best wishes and I hope you are able to contact her soon

Insure and go when I contacted them by telephone (a rather doggy mobile) could not seem to understand that I was ill and did not have the facility to receive or send e-mail , just kept insisting that I fill in a form and send it to them, I was not well at all with the thought at the time that I had passed a kidney stone , basically they would take no action to help me , I was in a motel after leaving the hospital with no facilities , if it were not for the very kind people at the motel I may not have been able to cope at all

I am now in the process of submitting a claim which has to go by registered mail despite sending them scans of the various documents , also the ships medical bill is charged to your credit card and not billed to the insurance company so this means you have to put up your cash in the first instance

This the first time I have used insure and go and it will be the last ,,,

oh and their cruise policy does NOT cover any medical expenses in New Zealand

Hopefully they will cover the $1,000 bill that I have with the ships medical centre

Regards

john

Edited by VK3DQ

John

I updated my original post with a couple of phone numbers I found for Golden Princess - give those a go

Work through the claim - you'll get there eventually. I had a claim with another company last year and the supporting paperwork they required was extensive but they paid eventually

Good luck

Edited by Bodogbodog

John

I updated my original post with a couple of phone numbers I found for Golden Princess - give those a go

Work through the claim - you'll get there eventually. I had a claim with another company last year and the supporting paperwork they required was extensive but they paid eventually

Good luck

Thanks for the thought but the correct number 0011 870 331 034 410 just does not connect .. have checked with inmarsat its correct

Regards

john

I am now in the process of submitting a claim which has to go by registered mail despite sending them scans of the various documents , also the ships medical bill is charged to your credit card and not billed to the insurance company so this means you have to put up your cash in the first instance

This the first time I have used insure and go and it will be the last ,,,

oh and their cruise policy does NOT cover any medical expenses in New Zealand

My advice to anyone is print out your policy and read it - so you are aware of what is and isn't covered and what they require you to do in the case of an incident

Interesting on the supposed cover which is at odds with their Policy statement (for the Cruise specific cover) - I could understand if it had occurred in an Australian port but no reason that your treatment in NZ would not be covered according to the policy. The only other issue I could think of that could complicate things was if it was an undeclared pre-existing issue

If you select the Domestic Cruise, Pacific and Domestic or the Asia and Domestic travel destination

we will cover Medical and Evacuation expenses. With Medical expenses we mean expenses incurred on board relating to medical illness or injury assistance. We will also cover the repatriation or evacuation expenses if the medical practitioner has stated in writing that you are unfit to continue your trip due to medical illness or injury.

This benefit does not apply to any medical treatment provided on Australian inland or whilst the ship is tied up

in an Australian port. All other benefits included in your policy provide cover whilst your ship is docked in an

Australian port for a maximum of 48 hours. There is no cover for Section L (Rental Vehicle Excess Waiver) whilst your ship is in an Australian port.

The only thing I can think of is if their is reciprocal medical treatment for Australians in NZ - which there is - details are here - so this clause would apply:

We will not cover you for loss or an event or liability to the extent that it is covered by any other

insurance policy, medical or health scheme or Act of Parliament or any benefit which we are legally prohibited to pay by law. We will however pay the difference between what is payable under that other insurance policy, medical or health scheme or the relevant Act of Parliament and what you would have been entitled to recover under this policy to the extent permitted by law.

However for the cover you need to read section B1 on page 19 of their Cruise policy

- particularly this

What you are covered for

We will pay up to the amount shown in the Table of benefits for the necessary and reasonable costs incurred outside of Australia as a result of you becoming ill, being injured or dying during your trip. This includes:

1. Emergency medical, surgical and hospital treatment and ambulance costs.

2. The cost of your return to Australia earlier than planned if this is medically necessary and InsureandGo approve this.

Edited by Bodogbodog
Update with Reciprocal Health Agreement details for NZ

Interesting on the supposed cover which is at odds with their Policy statement (for the Cruise specific cover) - I could understand if it had occurred in an Australian port but no reason that your treatment in NZ would not be covered according to the policy

If you select the Domestic Cruise, Pacific and

Domestic or the Asia and Domestic travel destination

we will cover Medical and Evacuation expenses. With

Medical expenses we mean expenses incurred on board relating to medical illness or injury assistance. We will

also cover the repatriation or evacuation expenses if the

medical practitioner has stated in writing that you are

unfit to continue your trip due to medical illness or injury.

This benefit does not apply to any medical treatment

provided on Australian inland or whilst the ship is tied up

in an Australian port. All other benefits included in your

policy provide cover whilst your ship is docked in an

Australian port for a maximum of 48 hours. There is no

cover for Section L (Rental Vehicle Excess Waiver)

whilst your ship is in an Australian port.

They quote the fact that New Zealand has a reciprocal health scheme for Australians so New Zealand counts as part of Australia :D

They were very quick to send me that little gem .. however fortune has it that I was treated for no cost in both Auckland and Tauranga at the public hospital my main expense is on the ship .. plus an overnight in a motel a five hour bus ride to Auckland airport (a story in itself will be an amusing tale) and a $299 Qantas fare back home .. I recon I am up for about $550 plus the $1000 on the ship its not a huge claim but I think I will have to fight for it, its NOT a pre-existing medial issue its a totally new thing .. not what we first though something totally new .... but I dont hold much faith in insurance companies

regards

John

There is a big difference between onboard costs and NZ costs. Yes they were quick to point out that you are not covered in NZ, but as you now know you are not out of pocket any medical costs provided on land in NZ, I think they were probably just trying to explain that to you( probably badly).

I was taken off a plane in London and claimed through insure and go. I could not fault the service I was provided. My hotel accommodation and transport costs were covered without any issue, like you my medical costs were reciprocal and therefore not covered. Maybe you just got an unhappy person on the end of the phone. Hopefully it will go smoothly. I'm sure there will be no issue covering your onboard costs as they are very different to in hospital costs.

Good luck with everything and more than anything I hope you get in contact with your wife quickly.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I would have thought Princess would provide details of their port agent in NZ? That is fairly standard. If you have that, you should be able to call them, and find out a contact number for the ship, or pass a message on.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I would have thought Princess would provide details of their port agent in NZ? That is fairly standard. If you have that, you should be able to call them, and find out a contact number for the ship, or pass a message on.

Hi

Try as I can I have been unable to get hold of the agent for todays port (Wellington) ... I was hoping that someone from Princess might have sent me an e-mail --- picked up a phone .. no such luck on a Public Holiday .. even the Australian Embassy in Wellington is CLOSED today :mad:

Would have been an easy task for them to have contacted my wife who must be somewhat upset at the moment.

Regards

John

John,

The phone number for CentrePort Wellington is:

+64 4 495 3800

Golden is there for another 3 hours.

They may be able to help in getting a message to your wife.

PS: I just saw your post about trying to contact the port agent, so I don't know whether this number will be of use or not.

Edited by Opua Kiwi

Really sorry to hear of your unfortunate illness and I hope everything is getting back to some normality for you now.

I have used InsureandGo a couple of times but have not had to make a claim. I am sure there are many others in the same situation. It would be very helpful to us all if you posted here the outcome of your dealings with InsureandGo. I find that travel insurance generally and particularly for cruising is one of the most difficult things one has to cope with and understand. On most occasions you never really find out how good or bad they are until you have to actually make a claim.:)

John,

so sorry to hear about what has happened and hope you are feeling better. If you can't get hold of the port agent for Wellington today you may have better luck trying to get ahead of the Golden and trying the Akaroa port agent? The weather conditions are looking good so they should not miss it from what I can see.

ISS - McKay Ltd - Akaroa/Lyttelton

tel +64 3 328 7734

I hope you manage to get in touch with your wife soon.

Regards,

CJ

Hi

Try as I can I have been unable to get hold of the agent for todays port (Wellington) ... I was hoping that someone from Princess might have sent me an e-mail --- picked up a phone .. no such luck on a Public Holiday .. even the Australian Embassy in Wellington is CLOSED today :mad:

Would have been an easy task for them to have contacted my wife who must be somewhat upset at the moment.

Regards

John

John

I have just been down to the port and the crew at the gangway have undertaken to advise your wife that you are now home safe and sound.

Hope that helps

Regards

Mike

John

I have just been down to the port and the crew at the gangway have undertaken to advise your wife that you are now home safe and sound.

Hope that helps

Regards

Mike

Mike,

you are a gentleman! Thank you. Nice to see a fellow traveler helping another out.

regards,

CJ

John

Hope that helps

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike

many many thanks!!

my Wife just rang me .. said why did you not ring :D

Told her I had been trying

Best Regards

John

Hi John - sorry to hear about your health and issues with insurance company. They never make it easy!! You should also be able to claim reimbursement of the missed cruise days, so ask your wife to obtain a letter from the ship outlining that you left the cruise early and how many days you missed. If you had any excursions booked that could not be cancelled you should also be able to claim that also.

Good luck with the insurance company. Keep contacting them till you get everything owed to you. Lots of things are hidden in the fine print that favour the insurer. We made a claim through TID in early November and I am still struggling to get what is owed to us.:mad:

Hi Mike

many many thanks!!

my Wife just rang me .. said why did you not ring :D

Told her I had been trying

Best Regards

John

Glad to have helped and even more so that you and your wife have finally made contact. Don't think I can help with the insurance company though

Hi Folks

Thank you you for your support today I do appreciate it .

My wife was somewhat upset and was worrying because I had not made contact... I am very upset with Princess Cruises for their lack of support in this issue

I fully understand that they had to off load me from the ship , and I made the choice that my wife and mother in law should stay on board . as this would involve less stress for them

What I dont understand was the TOTAL lack of support and assistance offered to me .

I was not well, I should not have been placed in the position that I had to borrow a laptop to organize my accommodation and flight home, I was in a strange place and not quite sure of what to do.

You dont exactly make the best decisions when your rather high from pain killers.

I want to thank the management of the Academy Motor inn in Tauraga for their kindly assistance without which I would have been in a great deal of trouble

This is NOT about money I had funds to pay , it was an issue of needing help.

I think Princess Cruises could at the very least given me a telephone number in New Zealand for some to help me get home

They have been totally remiss , they just dumped me at the hospital and said I was on my own.

I am booked on Golden Princess on the March 8th sailing I shall tomorrow cancel that booking despite the 25% fee to do so. I cannot take the risk again especially with my loved ones

I have had a bit of a shock about this .... I dont quite know about cruising any more

New Zealanders you are Fantastic people !! Everyone I had contact with was most helpful .. even the nurses who punctured me more times than I can count

I'll write a complete report of this sorry adventure , in the hope it will make things better for others in the future.

The Saga of the bus to Auckland should give you all a smile

Best regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ

Hi,

Mike what a wonderful thing to do, a very kind gesture to go and do something practical about John's situation.

John I am glad you are home safe and sound. Good luck with the travel insurance claim. I had to claim on a trip not cruise that had to be cancelled due to a cancer diagnosis and treatment. The company southern cross just wore me down it took many months i am thinking 6 to 8 months to get the claim sorted and it was only through the perseverence of my GP.

I am 100% sure they were just hoping I would give up as it is all too hard.

Interesting regarding the phone number - I always leave the phone number of the ship with those at home and never thought i would not be contactable when cruising.

Hi Folks

A Lesson Learned

I thought by taking out travel insurance that I would be removing a level of stress if i were taken sick whilst on the ship..

However, the fees for treatment on board are added directly to your on board account and have to be paid up front . so from now on one would be well advised to have a contingency fund of say $1000 per person to cover such items.

My bill from the medical center is in the region of $1250 , at the start of the cruise I placed $2500 into our debit card account for spends as you can see I made a fair old dent in that, I think the lesson learned is that whist you cannot afford to go without travel insurance , that travel insurance is not going to help you in the first instance. You will have to fill in the forms and send it off by registered mail.

For our family of three I dont think I will cruise again without having a hedge of at least $5000 to draw on in case of problems.

Anyway I'll have to go to the bank tomorrow or my poor wife will have to work her passage :eek:

Regards

John

John

I have just been down to the port and the crew at the gangway have undertaken to advise your wife that you are now home safe and sound

Mike - what a great thing to do for John

You are a wonderful Wellingtonian and CC member

Edited by Bodogbodog

For our family of three I dont think I will cruise again without having a hedge of at least $5000 to draw on in case of problems

The other option is to have a credit card that can be used to make the payment - then you're not likely to have to part with the cash to pay it for a month or more. Much easier than taking that much cash with you when on holiday

BTW that medical bill isn't too bad - we had to get a GP to make a house call to our Hotel when in San Diego and he supplied a course of pretty regular anti biopics to clear the infection while we were on the cruise - the bill for that 1 visit was A$1200 - fortunately we had travel insurance that reimbursed us for those costs (except the loss on exchange rate between the credit card and when they paid us out)

Edited by Bodogbodog

John

Hope that helps

Regards

Mike

This made me nearly cry, what a wonderful gesture that clearly made a huge difference to John and his wife. The power of cruise critic, there really are a good bunch of people here:)