Independence of the Seas will be a nightmare 2018

I love the way RCI pretended they were improving the ship for 2018 when in fact it is just a big cover up tpo make more money.

Having been on this ship for 5 of the last 6 years I have already booked and paid for this years cruise, however I would not have done this had I been fully aware of the new deck plans.

The adults pay for these cruises yet all so called improvements are aimed at the youths and younger. This ship was struggling with getting seats in public venues in the evening and getting somewhere to lounge in the sun during the day, yet the most important upgrade that RCI has failed to mention in any of its media and advertising campaign is the fact that we are losing public spaces fir the addition of almost 100 new cabins

1. On decks 6, 7 and 8 all public spaces , library etc havegone due to the addition of new cabins, $$$$$

2 We are losing the Labyrinth nightclub for the addition of more cabins in the lower section of the club, and a new pay Japanese restaurant on the top level opposite the Schooner Bar $$$$$$ again.

3. We are losing 30% of the running track and sunbathing area and the spa and gym are being reduced in size for the addition of more cabins.even more $$$$$$$$

There are other floors around the ice rink where public space has gone and more rooms added.

The on-air Karaoke bar area has disappeared and is substituted on the next floor up with a sports and arcade bar , arcade being the operative word $$$$$$$$

There was always a fight to get a seat after dinner at night in the bars, and always a fight to find a sunbed, I think this year will be chaos as Royal Carribean to not give a toss about the paying passenger.

And what have we gained, a waterslide , a laser tag game and a trampoline park, all for the kids again.

Wish I could cancel my cruise without losing money but hey its RCI we are talking about here $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I am very angry and feel very deceived by them

I totally agree! We booked her as well before the changes have been published and can not cancel now due to European booking conditions. For people without children who cruise for the itineraries on a nice ship Royal is no longer a suitable cruise line. All ships get more cabins and loose public space.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There might be less chaos if you weren't fighting for seats and loungers so much. :)

But seriously, I agree it's disappointing their priorities seem to be packing more people onboard and reducing public space. I wonder if they have to add more life boats at some point? Assume when originally built the # of cabins/beds and lifeboats were all coordinated to meet requirements.

Just to add a different perspective...

I always considered that Indy was a family orientated ship so the addition of the slides etc. is in keeping with that. We're booked for July because of the changes. Indy is easily the most family focused ship sailing out ot the UK and my children are very excited (as am I) about the trampolines, water slides, sweet shop etc. I am though a little concerned about it being busier than last time I was on her but I'm not much of a sunbather so I'm hoping not to be too affected. It looks to me that they're positioning Indy to be the UK's family ship (at least for the summers).

I do feel for those who may have booked before the changes were announced. I agree, when I sail without children I won't be choosing Indy.

I read what is changing and personally it won’t affect me. On the other hand I was super upset when they removed the night club but most of the time it was empty and boring. It’s ridiculous to have a library, it was always empty most of the time and who reads a hard copy book these days. The reduction in the gym area is also unnoticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

. It’s ridiculous to have a library, it was always empty most of the time and who reads a hard copy book these days. The reduction in the gym area is also unnoticeable.

I've seen people in the library quite often, doing work or reading. We used it as a meeting place and I have actually borrowed books (and left books) there. I still read regular books. I'm old.

I've seen people in the library quite often, doing work or reading. We used it as a meeting place and I have actually borrowed books (and left books) there. I still read regular books. I'm old.

You know how it is Marci.... if it doesn't affect me then I don't care.....

I agree with your concerns, but do hope you have a wonderful cruise and enjoy the ports. Like you, in the future I will do more research on my future cruises. IOS was also one of our favorite ships...love the Freedom class, so this news is disappointing. Royal Car is trying to do everything they can to attract families.

I love the way RCI pretended they were improving the ship for 2018 when in fact it is just a big cover up tpo make more money.

Having been on this ship for 5 of the last 6 years I have already booked and paid for this years cruise, however I would not have done this had I been fully aware of the new deck plans.

The adults pay for these cruises yet all so called improvements are aimed at the youths and younger. This ship was struggling with getting seats in public venues in the evening and getting somewhere to lounge in the sun during the day, yet the most important upgrade that RCI has failed to mention in any of its media and advertising campaign is the fact that we are losing public spaces fir the addition of almost 100 new cabins

1. On decks 6, 7 and 8 all public spaces , library etc havegone due to the addition of new cabins, $$$$$

2 We are losing the Labyrinth nightclub for the addition of more cabins in the lower section of the club, and a new pay Japanese restaurant on the top level opposite the Schooner Bar $$$$$$ again.

3. We are losing 30% of the running track and sunbathing area and the spa and gym are being reduced in size for the addition of more cabins.even more $$$$$$$$

There are other floors around the ice rink where public space has gone and more rooms added.

The on-air Karaoke bar area has disappeared and is substituted on the next floor up with a sports and arcade bar , arcade being the operative word $$$$$$$$

There was always a fight to get a seat after dinner at night in the bars, and always a fight to find a sunbed, I think this year will be chaos as Royal Carribean to not give a toss about the paying passenger.

And what have we gained, a waterslide , a laser tag game and a trampoline park, all for the kids again.

Wish I could cancel my cruise without losing money but hey its RCI we are talking about here $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I am very angry and feel very deceived by them

Sometimes what one sees as being negative, others see as positive. For example, I don't use the gym, or running track, but rather do the opposite, and eat, and drink. So reduction of that space, I would not notice, since I never even been in the gym, and always considered it wasted space. I also sit on deck, but don't worship the sun. I know, in the Caribbean, the sun decks are important, and do agree, less space could be an issue, but on the other hand, having adult kids, now having grandkids, I don't mind added more kid activities. I might add that lazer tag, I do, and have fun! Maybe try it out yourself. Sports and arcade bar, sounds reasonable, because people like sports, and why not play a few video games also? I like Izumi, so adding it is good. Different people like different things, and when they make changes, it is of course for more money, but does not always mean it's bad for everyone.

We've cruised from Southampton the last 3 years but after seeing the changes and how busy the ship was we've decided to try a smaller ship this year. No choice on when we cruise due to working term time only, but as we don't cruise with children any more the itinerary seems more important to us. So Vision is our choice this summer.

Freedom gained only about 50 cabins but not 100 and they kept more public space. It gets worse with every dry dock.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That doesn't sound accurate. They got all the ones on deck 3, all the ones on deck 12, and several more that escape me.

Sometimes what one sees as being negative, others see as positive. For example, I don't use the gym, or running track, but rather do the opposite, and eat, and drink. So reduction of that space, I would not notice, since I never even been in the gym, and always considered it wasted space. I also sit on deck, but don't worship the sun. I know, in the Caribbean, the sun decks are important, and do agree, less space could be an issue, but on the other hand, having adult kids, now having grandkids, I don't mind added more kid activities. I might add that lazer tag, I do, and have fun! Maybe try it out yourself. Sports and arcade bar, sounds reasonable, because people like sports, and why not play a few video games also? I like Izumi, so adding it is good. Different people like different things, and when they make changes, it is of course for more money, but does not always mean it's bad for everyone.

If you have never been in there, how could you call it wasted space? I am in the gym every morning and it is usually busy.. how is this a waste?