Oceania vs Crystal

Sny

We have done two cruises on Oceania and have another booked. Our travel agent is encouraging us to try Crystal, as they have a sale going on now. Would love to hear from those who have done both. Highs and lows, demographics, ... Thanks

Hi,

Crystal cruises with their quality beverages and gratuities included in the prices offer a very good experience. We have found the dining very good in Oceania, but also Crystal offerings were lovely.

Service were in both very good. Enrichment lectures seem to be better at Crystal.

Many Crystal cruisers would argue with Crystal being luxury and Oceania being premium. We do not care about those concepts. We choose according to the itinerary and price is also important for us. With that in mind we would not hesitate to book either Oceania or Crystal.

From your question I assume that you have found comparable itineraries at comparable prices. If I were you I would take Crystal. I do not think you would be disappointed.

Ivi

You may wish to note that Crystal recently changed the Symphony and (per their website) added 12 more new suites and 28 new penthouses. The passenger count went from 922 (before) to 848 (after). Assuming 2 passenger per cabin, one would calculate a 34 additional reduction in smaller cabins or a total reduction of 40 + 34 or 74 fewer smaller cabins. ( this could be wrong if additional suite and penthouse space came from other than a reduction in smaller cabins.

Simple assumption, appeal to the higher paying, more space desiring, passengers.

It also could be more passengers not wanting to be on 2,500 to 5,00+ passenger cruise ships.

Note that the Crystal ships are much older than the Oceania "O" ships (Riviera and Marina).

Both lines have had corporate ownership changes in the last 5 years and IMO have had new ship additions delayed for that reason.

Disclosure - I am Oceania silver level and have sailed on Crystal once.

Not sure how you can compare a luxury cruise line (Crystal) with one that isn't (Oceania).

Kind of disagree that ownership changes has anything to do with Oceania but it does with Crystal (other lines owned by NCL - Regent and NCL currently have ships being built -- and, Regent has a ship that is only a year and a half old so this obviously is not a reason to blame new ownership for the lack of new Oceania ships).

Crystal suites are tiny compared with Oceania and "regular" Oceania suites are small compared to true luxury cruise lines.

While we have not been on Crystal (intentional - for many reasons), we do know that food on Regent and Silversea is better than Oceania (although this is subjective) except in some of Oceania's specialty restaurants (specifically Jacques).

So, if you want a "luxury lite" of "premium plus" cruise line, I would pick Oceania. However, if you want a true luxury cruise line, pick Regent, Seabourn or Silversea unless suite size does not matter in which case I would also include Crystal.

We have sailed twice on O and did a B2B on Crystal. We usually book a veranda and on average O runs around $350 pp/day while a Crystal balcony runs around $520 pp/day. However, last spring we booked a one week Crystal cruise along the California coast and then hooked it with a 2 week Mexican Riviera cruise on the Serenity for a total of $350 pp/day not counting TA perks.

In our opinion Crystal is in a total different class. Their evening entertainment was great. On sea days they offer over 50 different events to participate in, to include a private magic show sponsored by The Magic Castle.

The food in the MDR was first rate and they keep the wine flowing at dinner time! The food was so good it was like eating in a specialty restaurant every night, but with a different menu.

You can book your excursions in advance and use the OBC your TA gives you to pay for them once you board the cruise.

The production show singers and dancers work for Crystal rather than a contractor and their shows are on a 10-12 week cycle which means if you hook cruise legs b2b you will in most cases see different shows during your entire cruise.

Then to top it off, they play "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong every time they leave a port which leaves you with such a wonderful feeling if you're sitting on your balcony when it's playing. :D

I'm not saying their cruises aren't worth the $520 pp/day for a balcony, but if you want to experience Crystal and you're on somewhat of a budget like we are, try their Mexican Riviera cruise or possibly one in the Caribbean since competition for passengers is higher in those areas.

We also love going on Oceania cruises, but a Crystal cruise is for those times you just want to be wowed and spoil yourself! They also have a very nice promenade deck if you like to walk laps to burn those calories off.

In our opinion Crystal is in a total different class. Their evening entertainment was great. On sea days they offer over 50 different events to participate in, to include a private magic show sponsored by The Magic Castle.

Thanks for a good overview Ken the cruiser. I have been following the posts on the Crystal board for some time (and their (well stated) concerns with previous management and ownership) as they are on my list when something catches my eye (and time ( and budget)).

One thing Crystal promotes are their speakers and many of those I would find interesting.

But the above comment of yours stood out as I do enjoy a good bit of magic (the kid in me. DW not so much interest). What do you mean by a private show? Were only certain guests invited to attend?

We have sailed twice on O and did a B2B on Crystal. We usually book a veranda and on average O runs around $350 pp/day while a Crystal balcony runs around $520 pp/day. However, last spring we booked a one week Crystal cruise along the California coast and then hooked it with a 2 week Mexican Riviera cruise on the Serenity for a total of $350 pp/day not counting TA perks.

The food in the MDR was first rate and they keep the wine flowing at dinner time! The food was so good it was like eating in a specialty restaurant every night, but with a different menu.

You can book your excursions in advance and use the OBC your TA gives you to pay for them once you board the cruise.

The production show singers and dancers work for Crystal rather than a contractor and their shows are on a 10-12 week cycle which means if you hook cruise legs b2b you will in most cases see different shows during your entire cruise.

Then to top it off, they play "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong every time they leave a port which leaves you with such a wonderful feeling if you're sitting on your balcony when it's playing. :D

I'm not saying their cruises aren't worth the $520 pp/day for a balcony, but if you want to experience Crystal and you're on somewhat of a budget like we are, try their Mexican Riviera cruise or possibly one in the Caribbean since competition for passengers is higher in those areas.

We also love going on Oceania cruises, but a Crystal cruise is for those times you just want to be wowed and spoil yourself! They also have a very nice promenade deck if you like to walk laps to burn those calories off.

You are absolutely right. I could not have said it better.

But the above comment of yours stood out as I do enjoy a good bit of magic (the kid in me. DW not so much interest). What do you mean by a private show? Were only certain guests invited to attend?

On our 2 cruises there is a magician from the Magic Castle Hollywood and from our understanding there is a magician from the Magic Castle on most of their cruises. The show was conducted twice during the day in one of the lounges with an audience capacity of about 20, but it isn't advertised in the daily schedule. It's only advertised as "close up magic" on the first day and you have to go to the library to get your tickets. We missed it on the first leg of our b2b, but when we saw the promotion on the first day of the second leg, we immediately headed to the library to get the tickets on the day and time that fit our schedule.

If you get to the lounge early and get one of the 12 or so seats, you're with 6-10 feet of the magician. If you get there just before it starts, you can still see, but you will be on the bar stools behind the folks in the good seats. But, it was definitely a show not to miss if you haven't seen it.

BTW the speakers were great as well. They were another highlight of the cruise I forgot to mention.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

As others have suggested, give Crystal a try to see if it is your cup of tea.

In my experience, Crystal has the best enrichment program on the sea, while Oceania has little to offer. Crystal's evening entertainment is superior, and can at times be inspiring, as when the band members jam in the bar late at night.

On the other hand, the basic balcony suites on Crystal are tiny. Crystal ships look old and dated. Food on Crystal is very good, but dining is old fashioned. Dining in Oceania, IMHO, is the best on the seas, often comparable to great independent restaurants in big cities around the world.

And here I will still my neck out: We found our fellow passengers on Oceania to be friendly and sociable, while those on Crystal to be cold. We felt shunned on Crystal, a unique experience for us on the 27 cruises we have taken on 11 different lines.

In sum, take a chance, try Crystal, shop around. It might work for you. I might return to Crystal, but I think not. On the other hand, I would absolutely return to Oceania with the right itinerary.

I've been on both lines and would happily sail on them again. I particularly enjoyed the lectures on Crystal, which I find is a weakness of Oceania's. However I have to look at the finances and as a non-drinker I can't justify the (often) significant difference in price between the two, especially when the single supplement goes on top.

In my experience, Crystal has the best enrichment program on the sea, while Oceania has little to offer. Crystal's evening entertainment is superior, and can at times be inspiring, as when the band members jam in the bar late at night.

On the other hand, the basic balcony suites on Crystal are tiny. Crystal ships look old and dated. Food on Crystal is very good, but dining is old fashioned. Dining in Oceania, IMHO, is the best on the seas, often comparable to great independent restaurants in big cities around the world.

And here I will still my neck out: We found our fellow passengers on Oceania to be friendly and sociable, while those on Crystal to be cold. We felt shunned on Crystal, a unique experience for us on the 27 cruises we have taken on 11 different lines.

In sum, take a chance, try Crystal, shop around. It might work for you. I might return to Crystal, but I think not. On the other hand, I would absolutely return to Oceania with the right itinerary.

Funny. We are on seabourn now and some fellow cruisers opined that if you are not a crystal veteran you will be isolated on crystal by the regulars. That was their experience. We will have to judge for ourselves. Every cruise is different

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been on both lines and would happily sail on them again. I particularly enjoyed the lectures on Crystal, which I find is a weakness of Oceania's. However I have to look at the finances and as a non-drinker I can't justify the (often) significant difference in price between the two, especially when the single supplement goes on top.

Yes, as a non-drinking and very light drinking couple, there are several lines that are just not worth it to us because of the included alcohol. Glad there are varied choices for all, though.

We really enjoy the country club casual dress of Oceania and wondering if we would have to drag out the suit and tie and more formal gowns to be "proper" on Crystal?

We cruised on Seabourn to Antarctica and loved the cruise but would choose Oceania over Seabourn due to having to "dress up" every evening.

A nice pair of slacks, collared shirt and blazer along with dressy slacks and top are our "preferred evening ware...

We really enjoy the country club casual dress of Oceania and wondering if we would have to drag out the suit and tie and more formal gowns to be "proper" on Crystal?

We cruised on Seabourn to Antarctica and loved the cruise but would choose Oceania over Seabourn due to having to "dress up" every evening.

A nice pair of slacks, collared shirt and blazer along with dressy slacks and top are our "preferred evening ware...

We have Oceania friends who encouraged us to try Seabourn saying it was not "dress up" every night. Are you saying you DID feel the need for something more than CC casual or a jacket on "formal" night?

We have Oceania friends who encouraged us to try Seabourn saying it was not "dress up" every night. Are you saying you DID feel the need for something more than CC casual or a jacket on "formal" night?

I can only comment on our 1 experience on Seabourn. It was a 3 week cruise including a week in Antarctica. Many of the Seabourn "regulars" commented that the day time wear was much more casual than normal - lots of jeans, tennis shoes and sweaters/sweatshirt. After 6pm, most men wore a suit and tie and ladies wore nicer dresses around the bars and in the dining room. The Collonade (their Terrace) dining venue had people wearing more casual clothes.

Here is what Seabourn states:

On its web site, Seabourn says there will be some nights when Casual attire is OK, others when Elegant Casual is called for and others when Black Tie Optional is specified. These are further described by them as follows:

"Casual: Slacks with sweater or shirt for men; sundress, slacks or skirt and top for women

Elegant Casual: Jacket, but no tie, requested for men; dress, skirt or pants outfit for women

Black Tie Optional: Tuxedo or dark suit for men; evening gown or other formal attire for women"

Thus on BTO or formal nights - you would definitely feel out of place in the bar areas and (I believe) not allowed in the MDR if you were not formally dressed. We also found people dressed this way on Elegant Casual nights too.

Hope this helps.....

You do NOT have to dress up on Seabourn every night. Except on formal optional nights which occurs a couple of times per cruise and where on;y a jacket with no tie will suffice you can dress on Seabourn exactly as you do on Oceania.

You do NOT have to dress up on Seabourn every night. Except on formal optional nights which occurs a couple of times per cruise and where on;y a jacket with no tie will suffice you can dress on Seabourn exactly as you do on Oceania.

Thank you wripro. That is helpful. We were not planning on bringing formal wear and anticipated a slight difference from O, but nothing major.

I am not prepared to write a full report and comparison after only 3 full days on Crystal but I agree with your comments in general so far.

We have done two cruises on Oceania and have another booked. Our travel agent is encouraging us to try Crystal, as they have a sale going on now. Would love to hear from those who have done both. Highs and lows, demographics, ... Thanks

We have done perhaps 40 cruises, 6 on Oceania and one on Crystal. Im booked in a 28 day O next August Athens to Miami and cant wait.

Having taken both I would say that Crystal offers more for more. Slightly bigger ship, much better entertainment and open bar. If I can get a price near what O charges I would opt for Crystal in a blink but I am still a loyal customer of O.

Try Crystal just so you can make your own comparison.

Now that is way to logical. Consider that everyone likes or enjoys different things based on their personal taste. that includes your Travel Agent to Uncle Irving or your best friends mother in law.... They ain't you. and you ain't them.

If I or another gives you a recommendation, it is really what I like, It may not be anywhere near what you like so consider others opinions carefully . When I lived in Hawaii, people would ask me what are the must do and see things.

.. My reply was that there were none. Its up to you to choose what things interest you or you like. As An example My favorite thing was to go to the dump on Monday.'s ...

In other words If you were me you'd have a great time.....