Mexico pharmacies -buying Sonata or Ambien in Mexico

pumaj

We are going on a mexican riviera cruise and are looking to buy either Sonata (zapelon) or Ambien (zolpidem) at one of the Mexico pharmacies. In Canada Sonata is called 'Starnoc' and has been discontinued due tothe expense of making the drug. Does anyone know where to find this in either Cabo, Mazatlan, or Puerto Vallarta? Would I need a prescription?

Also, where is th best shop in either city to buy siver jewelry?

Thanks!!

I don't remember seeing Sonata but Ambien is everywhere. You don't need an RX to purchase it there. There are "La Farmacia" basically on every block in Mex. Just go in and tell them what you want. I am not sure about silver, I didn't buy any.

Be careful what you buy at those little Farmacia's. Many times the drugs are counterfeit. I would buy them at the Walmart pharmacy in Puerto Vallarta. It's walking distance from the ship.

he FDA has published warnings about counterfeit prescription products entering the U.S. drug supply. Last year, thousands of bottles of counterfeit Lipitor were embargoed at San Francisco International Airport as they entered the country. When investigated, the tablets contained nothing more than yellow road paint and talc.

advertisement

Just recently it was discovered that products being marketed as Ambien, Xanax, Lexapro and Ativan contained none of the labeled ingredients, and were found to contain haloperidol, a strong anti-psychotic medication. It is estimated that in China, as much as 50 percent of the medications are fake.

Read this.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/08/10/world/main635220.shtml

• 1 year later...

I know this is a year old thread but maybe someone knows the answer

I am going to be in IxTapa soon and wanted to know if Tylonal 3 is sold over the count or do you need a script for it. Does it have another name in Mexico?

• 2 years later...
Be careful what you buy at those little Farmacia's. Many times the drugs are counterfeit. I would buy them at the Walmart pharmacy in Puerto Vallarta. It's walking distance from the ship.

he FDA has published warnings about counterfeit prescription products entering the U.S. drug supply. Last year, thousands of bottles of counterfeit Lipitor were embargoed at San Francisco International Airport as they entered the country. When investigated, the tablets contained nothing more than yellow road paint and talc.

advertisement

Just recently it was discovered that products being marketed as Ambien, Xanax, Lexapro and Ativan contained none of the labeled ingredients, and were found to contain haloperidol, a strong anti-psychotic medication. It is estimated that in China, as much as 50 percent of the medications are fake.

Read this.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/08/10/world/main635220.shtml

Agree with you. But not in China - in India. I think in such little "Mexico pharmacies" 70% of all drugs are generic and from India...

Mexico recently tightened-up their pharmacy regulations so its difficult to know how each pharmacy will interpret the rules. But, it is illegal in Mexico for a pharmacy to sell any narcotic (this would include Tylenol 3) or antibiotics (this is a new rule) without a physician's prescription. We have also been told that this prescription must be from a physican licensed in Mexico...although we have never personally tested this rule. As to drugs like Ambien I guess the only way to know is to try. One also needs to be real careful about counterfeit drugs in Mexico. The best protection seems to be buying from very reputable pharmacies but we have heard that is not even a guarantee.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

To answer the specific question, I live in Mexico and my Mexican physician says that Ambien or Sonata is a controlled prescription. It is not available over the counter.

In an effort to curb self medicating which led to building immunity to antibiotics, most antibiotics are no longer available over the counter. However, it only applies to new shipments... so for the next few months, you may find something from an old shipment that is available to you. 10/2010.

There are some farmacias in Mexico that specialize in generics or "knock-offs." There you may find something that is not from the original manufacturer. These farmacias may be called "Similares" perhaps meaning that they sell similar products. This may not matter much if an antibiotic, water pill, etc., but not advisable for hypertension meds, etc.

But if you go to a major farmacia, you will find sealed products from the manufacturer, which may be a Mexican or Spanish subsidary. But it it has the exact name or logo, it should be legit and safe to use. The Mexican government is cracking down. The confusion is if you willingly go to one that specializes in the knock-offs or generic brands, which for a casual cruise customer, I wouldn't recommend.

There are some legit smaller farmacias, and since I live in Mexico I patronize them for the best prices. However, just getting off a cruise ship in a strange town... you are advised to patronize the major, chain farmacias... and the advice to go to someplace like Walmart is good advice if you don't know the chains or brands. Costco is also in many Mexican cities and your US card works.

• 7 years later...

For sleeping pills like AMBIEN, OR Sublinox,

If you go into a mexican pharmacy and get a generic white bottle of HEMITARTRATE ZOPIDEM 10MG with a light purple "C" on the label (superimposed in shadow) it's FAKE. they are muscle relaxers (at best, but who knows)

Has a NDC on top of the label which is supposed to be the drug number NDC 0093-0033-01 FAKE.

Back of the Bottle has a UPC code of 0093-0033-01, which is the same as the drug number...get where i'm

going with this? FAKE.

Also Says MFD for; Generic Lab inc.

Corona, CA 92880 USA

Mfd by: Purdue Pharmaceuticals L.P.

Wilson, NC 27893

The pills are white with a + scored on them and coated. Mexican pharmacy want between $60-80 USD for them.

Go to WALMART and get them, you have a much better chance of them being real.

Chances are once they realize that cruise ship customers are wise to their fakes, they will change the label, but this is what it is in 2018.

1278479546_Fakeambien.thumb.jpg.54b238ccf104a001a6f5a9278a5e2ec8.jpg

171180804_Fakeambien2.thumb.jpg.ad2195e302354e1140e268e67c668c58.jpg

We live in Puerto Vallarta (10 weeks a year) and many local pharmacies will sell you Ambien....either brand name or a generic. You will not save money (over stateside pricing) but you can certainly get it without a prescription. One pharmacy that I know has it in stock is a little place in our Romantic Zone/Old Town on Olas Altas....that is right across the street from Los Arcos (Hotel). This particular small pharmacy is actually owned by a physician and their staff understand English and what they sell. You would likely find it at most other pharmacies, but if you have a problem and plan to come into town (Puerto Vallarta) the place I mentioned will meet your needs and is trusted by many expats living in the area..

Hank

• 7 months later...
On 3/15/2018 at 9:01 AM, macklinholloway said:

For sleeping pills like AMBIEN, OR Sublinox,

Go to WALMART and get them, you have a much better chance of them being real.

Chances are once they realize that cruise ship customers are wise to their fakes, they will change the label, but this is what it is in 2018.

Can you get Ambien without a script at the Walmart? Seems like it would be harder to get there. I need ambiem, flexeril, inhalers, and xanax/ativan... I was in PV & Cabo last Feb and I didn't have a problem getting anything including Norco. Nothing was fake but I certainly didn't like taking the chance and prefer not to do that again. 

Can you get xanax at the Walmart? It's for my father who has a lot of anxiety in his old age who won't be with me but I wouldn't mind seeing a Dr.  and saying I need it IF I had to. PLease let me know about getting xanax and ambien at Walmart. Thank  you

On 3/15/2018 at 9:01 AM, macklinholloway said: