Transportation options Hong Kong Airport to Kowloon

Bruin Steve

1. Taxi.
  2. Airport Express to Kowloon Station, then the free shuttle bus to the hotel.

A taxi would be direct, probably a little faster overall, and rather more "exciting" (although not to NYC/Die Hard 3 standards), but would cost a little more (perhaps $250-300). The train (I think $210 for two people) would be more comfortable and more serene until you get to Kowloon Station, but then the transfer to the shuttle bus and then the multi-stop journey will soak up some time and could be a little irritating.

Would not recommend the Airport Express when arriving in Hong Kong after a long international haul, then having to lug your suit cases to and from the shuttle bus.

What we did last March was a taxi to hotel when we arrived, plenty of taxis (cost us HK$270 - Hong Kong Island), great way to get first impressions of Hong Kong.

On our departure day (flight 20:00) we took a taxi to Airport Express - Kowloon Station checked in our luggage (never saw it again until we landed in Munich) and the spent the day more sight seeing (on the inside of shopping malls).

On arrival into HKIA, there are free luggage cart to use everywhere inside the terminal, except when going into luggage hall, carts are available again to take it thru border/immigration control & then customs (most travelers/visitors have nothing to declare) - just continue & head for the Airport Express.

One-way adult fare to Kowloon Station is $105 HKD p/p, $100 purchased online in advance (QR code can be used as eTicket) - there are group discount, 2 or more travelers qualified (surprise !!) - higher discount for 3's and 4's. Just $150 HKD for 2 - there are free porter services on the AE platform - it's a quick 25 minutes ride, surely will be much faster than the hectic HK morning commuter traffic on the busy & often congested highways & local streets getting to the hotel.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/tickets/promotions_4persons.html

Once at the KL AE Station, free porter services are available to help transfer luggage - look for & take the K3 shuttle route (total of 5 routes on KL side) to Stop #6 to the IC Grand Stanford ... bell hops will be available at the hotel to help transfer luggage into lobby for check-in, oversized bags or not. It's fairly easy & painless, IMO.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/complom_free_bus.html

Taxi is convenient but you will need to have local HK currencies, fares with morning traffic to KL hotels will likely run over $300 to $350 HKD, plus a toll amount to be added & collected - and likely take 45+ minutes once you reach the front of the taxi stand's queue.

AE trains are fast, quiet & efficient, free WiFi-enabled to catch up on email & messages, etc. en route or sit back & relax for the short ride to town, portions on elevated train tracks ... consider the free shuttle ride as part of a quick sightseeing side tour on busy streets thru West Kowloon, thru the heart of Tsim Sha Tsui to the hotel on East Kowloon side.

First timer, just a friendly reminder to look on the "wrong" or oppposite side first, before crossing the streets - on green walk signs only & at crosswalk, jaywalkers are subject to fines if observed by police constables ... HK drive on the left side and when walking on crowded streets, keep left & allow the "runners" in a hurry to pass on the right, i.e. Nathan Road.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, yes - Cityflyer's extensive route of airport bus for the island & Kowloon side ... it's a rock-bargain, especially at $33 HKD p/p one-way (very close to what we paid in 2010 from HKIA direct to our hotel, stop #5 or 6 on the A21 route, took about 35 minutes & was a very scenic ride above ground)

http://www.nwstbus.com.hk/routes/airport-bus/hotel/index.aspx?intLangID=1

Although, I must confess, after 16 hours in the air, we're jetlagged and took a short nap/dozed off en route - 50 steps from our hotel's front door after getting off the double-decker, air-conditioned (icy cold) bus with our bags. We managed to stashed our 25" rollerboard downstairs, near the luggage rack (it was already full) & held onto our smaller cabin backpack - CCTV monitor upstairs allowed everyone to keep their eyes on their suitcases below. Automated bilingual announcement & digital display onboard the bus about upcoming stops - super traveler's friendly.

Just a reminder to get & use local HK currencies or buy an Octopus (fare) card to use before leaving the airport arrival hotel, where HK's MTR (transit) has ticket/vending kiosk & staffed bilingual counter with agents on duty.

Lighted packed travelers find this to be a frugal way to travel into town - and, a free introductory sightseeing way to see the suburban town & once countryside. Probably not a good option for those traveling with tons of luggage & not good with lifting their 50 lbs/22 kg bags. Perfect for 22" rollerboards & backpacks - we took a taxi, however, when we flew out to HCMC/Saigon, VN as it was a longer walk to the return bus stop to the airport, too hot & humid for us - and, that was late September.

Bruin Steve...we asked this same question and followed mking8288 extremely detailed advice. We purchased the Octopus card before leaving the airport just as mking8288 said. Note: If you have any money left in your Octopus Card, you can easily get a refund.)

It was a long flight, but with some adrenaline, we actually left our luggages at the airport "left luggage" and took the bus (S1 to Lantau Island) to the Big Buddha. It was easy, again with the help of mking8288.

After visiting the Big Buddha, we went back to the airport, got our luggages, and took the A21 bus...it actually stopped half a block from our hotel...and we got a nice sightseeing along the way to Nathan Road.

If you love to walk, everything is just about walking distance from the InterContinental...malls, shopping areas, a park, and a gazillion restaurants.

Happy Sailing! (and as always, thank you mking8288) :)

Hi, everyone,

For us, we will be staying at the Royal Plaza hôtel ( Kowloon - Prince Edward road) after our cruise. Our retun flight is at 11 PM.. I don't know what is the best option for us for getting from our hôtel to Hong Kong Airport ?

Many thanks for your advices and your help !

Have a good day,

Muriel

Hi, everyone,

For us, we will be staying at the Royal Plaza hôtel ( Kowloon - Prince Edward road) after our cruise. Our retun flight is at 11 PM.. I don't know what is the best option for us for getting from our hôtel to Hong Kong Airport ?

Have a good day,

Muriel

Your hotel is serviced by the free bus shuttle service to the Kowloon Airport Express station.

You need to have an Airport Express ticket, but most major airlines have check-in counters at the Kowloon and Hong Kong Airport Express stations. Go late afternoon, check-in your luggage and get your boarding passes. You'll have time for dinner before taking the train to the airport. Proceed directly to immigration/security and to your gate.

Be mindful of the minimum times and you should be okay.

https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/transport/to-from-airport/airport-express.page

This gets your luggage out of the way.

Alternative would be taxi (30-45 minutes) or by bus as mentioned above.

Edited by Philob

Royal Plaza is at a convenient location in Mongkok. You have different options to travel to the airport:

1. Looks like your hotel has free shuttle K5 to Kowloon Station (ride 15 mins) where you can check in right there. Then you can ride the Airport Express for 21 mins to the airport without your laggage. Cost is HK $105.

2.You can take a taxi directly from the hotel to the airport. Ride about 40 mins and cost about HK$300. Remember that taxis in HK are typically smaller and cannot carry over 3-4 passengers comfortably nor hold 4 full sized luggage. You can ask the hotel to order the right size taxi for your party.

3. If you have light luggage and are adventurous, you can ride an airport bus from Nathan Rd (ask the hotel for the exact bus number, schedule and stop location). It may be crowded though. It is about HK$35 only and ride about 45 mins or over.

Personally I have taken all 3 options. If I am by myself, I usually take option 1 the Airport Express. When I am travelling with my DH, we use option 2 the taxi. My DH likes option 3 the bus when he is travelling by himself with light luggage.

Hope this info is useful for your planning.

Hi, everyone,

Have a good day,

Muriel

Hello Philob, and 2curious,

Many thanks for these informations ! I see clearly our options now.. I like the Airport express option, for the check-in - but the price with a taxi is not very différent, for two..

Thanks again for your help !