Buyer beware

maof4

We had a bad experience with Norwegian Cruise Line years ago when we had to miss a planned trip because our son was hospitalized. Their customer service was awful. So I wasn't surprised to see this story about how they left an elderly couple at the dock.

Please read before booking with NCL.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2018/01/27/left-dock-and-looking-for-refund-and-some-compassion-from-cruise-line/mszHE2cq2Po5k9ZY9EnPvL/story.html?p1=Article_Recommended_ReadMore_Pos2

We had a bad experience with Norwegian Cruise Line years ago when we had to miss a planned trip because our son was hospitalized. Their customer service was awful. So I wasn't surprised to see this story about how they left an elderly couple at the dock.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2018/01/27/left-dock-and-looking-for-refund-and-some-compassion-from-cruise-line/mszHE2cq2Po5k9ZY9EnPvL/story.html?p1=Article_Recommended_ReadMore_Pos2

I think that the couple didn't read documentation properly. It clearly says to carry all cruise documents with you. This includes your passport , visa and boarding pass. NCL isn't responsible for their error of not bringing their passport at check in.

This has been beaten to death on the Norwegian board and even though the couple admitted they screwed up, Norwegian refunded their cruise fare and is giving them another cruise.

So, expect all the whiners to come out of the woodwork now.

For the record, most of the people the couple encountered were not Norwegian employees, they work for the port. So, Norwegian is apologizing for the actions of a bunch of people that don’t work for them.

NEVER LEAVE YOUR PASSPORT OR YOUR MEDICATIONS IN CHECKED BAGGAGE. These people had cruised before - they should have known the drill.

I’m sorry to hear about your experience - didn’t you have trip insurance? That should have made refunds easy, although it doesn’t help with the stress of an illness or the missed vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by xriva
  • Like 2

This has been beaten to death on the Norwegian board and even though the couple admitted they screwed up, Norwegian refunded their cruise fare and is giving them another cruise.

For the record, most of the people the couple encountered were not Norwegian employees, they work for the port. So, Norwegian is apologizing for the actions of a bunch of people that don’t work for them.

NEVER LEAVE YOUR PASSPORT OR YOUR MEDICATIONS IN CHECKED BAGGAGE. These people had cruised before - they should have known the drill.

I’m sorry to hear about your experience - didn’t you have trip insurance? That should have made refunds easy, although it doesn’t help with the stress of an illness or the missed vacation.

Check in agents are actually contract employees of NCL. The same for all cruise lines in most ports. A friend of mine. Worked as a contract worker for Princess at Canada P,ace in Vancouver. He wasn’t allowed to work for other lines all season.

• Like 1

You are SO behind the 8 ball. It's been ALL over CC and NCL has rectified 10 fold.

BTW ... WHAT does NCL have to do with you missing a trip due to your son being hospitalized? Trip insurance is for that.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Cruise lines are a business. If you cancel inside the cancellation window you forfeit your fare. At least this is the practice in North America.

If the cruise lines bowed to every sad story about cancellations inside this window they would be flooded with requests and would either have to sail light or blow out those cabins at a substantially lower price.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

We were forced to cancel a 10 day cruse last December because of surgery.  We had not purchased insurance (will never make that mistake again) and lost the initial cost of the cruise. NCL refunded all extras that had been purchased, govt. taxes and port fees.

On 1/29/2018 at 7:01 PM, xriva said:

Serious question:  Can you buy travel insurance that insures you against your screw ups?  Or does it only cover the cruise line changes or cancellations?

On 1/29/2018 at 10:39 PM, CruiseGal999 said:

You are SO behind the 8 ball. It's been ALL over CC and NCL has rectified 10 fold.

BTW ... WHAT does NCL have to do with you missing a trip due to your son being hospitalized? Trip insurance is for that.

They did not buy traveler's insurance so they  lost their cruise fare I suspect. A lot of first time cruisers do not realize this is true no matter which line you choose.  I wish travel agents would explain if you don't get insurance and something comes up, even a death in the family or hospitalization you get no refund unless you buy insurance. Many new cruisers  do not understand this . 

Sometimes it is experienced cruisers too.One poster story  I read years ago was a guy who had a heart attack at age 42 a week before his scheduled cruise. He thought HAL should have given him a refund since he had cruised with them half a dozen times. When others mentioned he should have bought insurance,he said he didn't because he was "healthy." Well apparently not healthy enough. So, moral of the story, new cruisers, even  if you think you are healthy you never know, buy insurance if you feel you can't eat the cost of your cruise if you miss it. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Your screw up is your screw up. READ the fine print. You miss the boat, you miss the boat and that is that. Now up to you to get to the next port or go home. However, you better have your passport with you to do so. I have a travel card that I MUST use to book the cruise and they give me travel insurance that covers just about everything up to $5000 per person on the card. It does not cover your screw ups. It would cover if a family member got sick and you were needed and not able to take the cruise. We cruise 4-6 a year and the card cost $95 a year. Well worth it. All cruises specify and say it over and over again. Ship sails at a certain time and you MUST be back on board at a certain time. There are signs where you get off of the ship and they tell you as you exit. No excuses for not knowing.

• Like 1