Travel Insurance

I posted this in another section but it probably belongs here:

If anyone has the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card - they will cover you up to $10,000 per person - with a $20,000 limit. This is a great card for anyone that travels. While the card goes for $450 - as soon as you book any type of travel they will credit your account for $300. Points are built up fast and as stated above - great travel insurance coverage.

If anyone has the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card - they will cover you up to $10,000 per person - with a $20,000 limit. This is a great card for anyone that travels. While the card goes for $450 - as soon as you book any type of travel they will credit your account for $300. Points are built up fast and as stated above - great travel insurance coverage.

People relying upon charge card travel insurance that is "automatically included" should READ ALL THE FINE PRINT very carefully.

In many cases (not sure if there are any exceptions), the charge card coverage does NOT include any claims due to pre-existing medical conditions.

This is critical for many of us (including us very specifically), and there have been occasional reports of someone who thought this wasn't a problem finding out too late that it was.

There can be other exceptions, and this is of course the case with any travel insurance policy.

What matters is to find the *right* policy for each person/family/group specific needs.

GC

No medical.

We too have a similar credit card, ours does NOT include medical, something to be aware of. We travel frequently outside of the US so we’ve purchased an annual medical travel insurance policy. Remember, many insurance policies do not cover medical outside of the US, especially Medicare.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There were some good points posted which had me do some research. I am a retired U.S. Government employee (actually was a Foreign Service Officer with the Department of State) - I have an excellent health insurance policy that is administered by the Office of Personnel Management) - we are covered 100% if one of us gets ill or if we should have an emergency - while outside the country. Also, Chase credit card also has 24 hour accident insurance as well. So, yes, you do need a source for medical - but between my health insurance, Chase Credit Card and another limited policy through my travel agent - I feel we are well covered.

There were some good points posted which had me do some research. I am a retired U.S. Government employee (actually was a Foreign Service Officer with the Department of State) - I have an excellent health insurance policy that is administered by the Office of Personnel Management) - we are covered 100% if one of us gets ill or if we should have an emergency - while outside the country. Also, Chase credit card also has 24 hour accident insurance as well. So, yes, you do need a source for medical - but between my health insurance, Chase Credit Card and another limited policy through my travel agent - I feel we are well covered.

Make sure that there still isn't a 'gotcha' about reimbursement for travel that needs to be cancelled or interrupted for *medical* reasons; and that if that IS covered, that pre-existing medical conditions aren't excluded, or get a policy that does include them, etc.

"Medical" doesn't always refer only to payment for medical care.

GC

I'm convinced we will be OK with the insurance - but I have a question which I didn't see in the previous postings: If hypothetically our trip is costing $30,000 (I am just using round numbers for simplicity) - and our coverage with Chase includes a maximum of $20,000 in protection - we will also have a policy through our travel agent - with Allianz for $10,000. If something happens with our luggage and the payout is $5,000. Would Chase cover it at 2/3 the cost and Allianz at 1/3 the cost? To make this even more complicated - my personal health insurance through the USG will cover us for any medical emergency at 100% - would I still be able to collect from Chase and Allianz?

Palermo, if you are under Medicare as primary, are you sure you can recover everything from your supplement as Medicare doesn't cover medical outside the US. What about "evacuation" from hospital/port overseas? Who covers this for you?

Just asking as we are in similar circumstances to you and we've always taken private insurance when leaving the US. Maybe we've wasted our money all these years.....but I've used Travel Insured for most travel and had a couple of claims, which were settled without problems.

To make this even more complicated - my personal health insurance through the USG will cover us for any medical emergency at 100% - would I still be able to collect from Chase and Allianz?

I think you will find that insurance companies talk to each other, a lot! Mostly to keep the customer from making a profit from their coverage.

Insurance will usually make you 'whole', or close to it, but will not give you excess funds. Making a concious effort to obtain any excess payments can be construed as insurance fraud.

Palermo, if you are under Medicare as primary, are you sure you can recover everything from your supplement as Medicare doesn't cover medical outside the US. What about "evacuation" from hospital/port overseas? Who covers this for you?

Just asking as we are in similar circumstances to you and we've always taken private insurance when leaving the US. Maybe we've wasted our money all these years.....but I've used Travel Insured for most travel and had a couple of claims, which were settled without problems.

My retired USG benefits are not tied to Medicare - it works in conjunction with Medicare but is not considered a supplemental policy. I admit that we are taking a chance with evacuation but I thought I saw another poster stating that Chase Sapphire Reserve does take care of that. Either way, getting medivaced is something we would take a chance on.

I think you will find that insurance companies talk to each other, a lot! Mostly to keep the customer from making a profit from their coverage.

Insurance will usually make you 'whole', or close to it, but will not give you excess funds. Making a concious effort to obtain any excess payments can be construed as insurance fraud.

I probably worded my response wrong. Not trying to make a profit on any of this - just wondering how the responsibility would be split.

I actually have another question that perhaps someone could answer. In my earlier post I asked how the insurance companies would split up the claim if one had two or three policies. What happens if you only have one source - like the $20,000 protection that Chase Sapphire Reserve gives you. Forget medical for the moment, what happens if your trip totals $25,000 and you lose luggage or luggage is delayed or there is another non-medical claim - if I only have $20,000 protection do I only get paid 80% or is there a running total and I only get paid up to $20,000? Trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks

I actually have another question that perhaps someone could answer. In my earlier post I asked how the insurance companies would split up the claim if one had two or three policies. What happens if you only have one source - like the $20,000 protection that Chase Sapphire Reserve gives you. Forget medical for the moment, what happens if your trip totals $25,000 and you lose luggage or luggage is delayed or there is another non-medical claim - if I only have $20,000 protection do I only get paid 80% or is there a running total and I only get paid up to $20,000? Trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks

Please go to the Chase benefits page and read up. There is separate coverage for lost/delayed luggage. Coverage limits are described.

Please go to the Chase benefits page and read up. There is separate coverage for lost/delayed luggage. Coverage limits are described.

Thanks - that is what I did. Also, called Chase and they confirmed my understanding of the various benefits - even getting limited medical coverage was something I hadn't expected.