Litchfield Park From Darwin or Something Else

We'll be on the Sea Princess and considering the ship excursion to the Park. (I've tried to get a group together for a private tour on my Roll Call but no takers yet).

I'm really wondering if it is worth doing 2 hrs on a bus, there and then back. The idea of seeing some of the countrysides and the falls in the park is appealing. But we'll be there in October and I understand it could be very hot and very buggy. Don't need that.

So if we don't do that, does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative activity for the day? (No animal parks as we will have already done that.)

Thanks!

We'll be on the Sea Princess and considering the ship excursion to the Park. (I've tried to get a group together for a private tour on my Roll Call but no takers yet).

I'm really wondering if it is worth doing 2 hrs on a bus, there and then back. The idea of seeing some of the countrysides and the falls in the park is appealing. But we'll be there in October and I understand it could be very hot and very buggy. Don't need that.

So if we don't do that, does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative activity for the day? (No animal parks as we will have already done that.)

Thanks!

You can walk from the Cruise Terminal in Darwin to the City Travel Bureau and arrange an independant City Sights tour. We did ours in a double decker bus which took up approx half a day. Darwin has some very interesting wartime museums and military history and lots of memorabilia relating to the cyclone which destroyed the city many years ago. Any time left can be used to enjoy the pubs and cafes adjacent to the Cruise Terminal. Litchfield Park is an all day excursion which can be very hot and tiring but the last stop is usually a swim at the waterfall.

You can walk from the Cruise Terminal in Darwin to the City Travel Bureau and arrange an independant City Sights tour. We did ours in a double decker bus which took up approx half a day. Darwin has some very interesting wartime museums and military history and lots of memorabilia relating to the cyclone which destroyed the city many years ago. Any time left can be used to enjoy the pubs and cafes adjacent to the Cruise Terminal. Litchfield Park is an all day excursion which can be very hot and tiring but the last stop is usually a swim at the waterfall.

Assuming no salties have been sighted! I’ve swum at Wangi Falls and they - and Litchfield generally - I find a spectacular place, but when my parents visited a couple of years later they weren’t permitted anywhere near any of the pools as a number of large crocs had been sighted in the weeks before they were there.

Agree about a tour of Darwin being worthwhile if OP decides to pass on Litchfield.

There are plenty of good museums in Darwin. I highly recommend the (free) Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory and expect to spend at least 2-3 hours there. They also have a good cafe. My son went to the Darwin Aviation Museum and loved seeing all the aircraft. The Fannie Bay Gaol is interesting (and free), but is only open a couple days per week.

https://www.magnt.net.au/

https://www.darwinaviationmuseum.com.au/

There are plenty of good museums in Darwin. I highly recommend the (free) Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory and expect to spend at least 2-3 hours there. They also have a good cafe. My son went to the Darwin Aviation Museum and loved seeing all the aircraft. The Fannie Bay Gaol is interesting (and free), but is only open a couple days per week.

https://www.magnt.net.au/

https://www.darwinaviationmuseum.com.au/

Thank you for the ideas and the links!

We recently went to an aviation museum in Arizona and loved it so that makes a very possible option.

You could also book a date in the Cage of Death at Crocosaurus Cove located in the Central Business District.

Guaranteed to get the blood going and unlikely there will be another malfunction with the glass tube,(which is to protect you) cracking as happened a couple of years ago!

You might enjoy visiting the Royal Flying Doctor Service Darwin Tourist Facility. https://www.rfdsdarwin.com.au As well as show casing the RFDS in the Territory there's a display on the WW11 Bombing of Darwin. The view from Parliament House is amazing and the floor of the nearby Supreme Court building is something extra special.

You could also book a date in the Cage of Death at Crocosaurus Cove located in the Central Business District.

Guaranteed to get the blood going and unlikely there will be another malfunction with the glass tube,(which is to protect you) cracking as happened a couple of years ago!

Uh ... think this sounds like something I would like to skip lol

Uh ... think this sounds like something I would like to skip lol

Be brave Diane, and besides, they would have good indemnity insurance to cover your medical costs and repatriation back to the good old USA should it be necessary.

Just a thought Diane. You're often looking for a beach day. Mindil Beach is best in the evening when the markets are on but there are a string of beaches along the coast and an artificial wave pool to tempt you. I'm not sure when you'll be in Darwin but there's a stinger season so you should check about that. It'd be easy to do a half day tour of Darwin followed by a lazy afternoon at the beach.

An alternative would be lazing under the trees in the wonderful foreshore parkland or late lunch at one of the great seafood restaurants at the wharf or the marina or anywhere near the water in Darwin for that matter. In the Top End nothing beats pan fried fresh plump barramundi, chips and salad.

Just a thought Diane. You're often looking for a beach day. Mindil Beach is best in the evening when the markets are on but there are a string of beaches along the coast and an artificial wave pool to tempt you. I'm not sure when you'll be in Darwin but there's a stinger season so you should check about that. It'd be easy to do a half day tour of Darwin followed by a lazy afternoon at the beach.

An alternative would be lazing under the trees in the wonderful foreshore parkland or late lunch at one of the great seafood restaurants at the wharf or the marina or anywhere near the water in Darwin for that matter. In the Top End nothing beats pan fried fresh plump barramundi, chips and salad.

I just checked and stinger season is Oct 1 to May 31. We'll be there in October :( Then again, could always just walk along the water :)

And thanks for the recommendation on the barramundi. We always like to try something that is special to an area we are visiting.