Veendam Boston to Bermuda 7 Day

umpisoccer

Just got off the Veendam Saturday and had a great time in Bermuda although it didn't start out that way. My husband and I tried to pack lightly so we use small suitcases to bring onboard ourselves. After standing in line for a while we were told that we were going to have to check our luggage even though we knew a from prior experience that they would go through the machine. So we checked our luggage. After boarding we went to our cabin and my husband's suitcase was there. mine however was not. There was a note saying that something was up with my suitcase and to please come down or give them a call. All I could think of was oh great remembering how I had taken a big Listerine bottle poured it into two smaller 4 oz bottles and put them in my suitcase wow I thought they probably think that it's whiskey. Imagine the horror I felt when I called and they told me that my suitcase had fallen into the water but they had retrieved it. When I pack I usually roll my clothes and then put them into baggies t-shirts in one dresses in another I find this helps with wrinkles . The supervisor at the guest relations desk took me to my suitcase where I unzipped it to find everything was really drenched but the worst was when I saw my journal and that was also wet. I just about started to cry so we went through my clothes and I told her what I wanted washed and dried what I wanted just washed and hung to dry and then what needed to be dry cleaned. We then went to the dining room where we had a nice lunch and met some very nice people. Back in our cabin a couple of hours later the items that I requested to be washed and dried were already back in my room along with a new journal. I called the front desk to inquire about my old Journal and was told that the supervisor was taking care of it herself. She also wanted to know if I was interested in any of the spa packages to which I said no but that I would be open to receiving a beverage card. She said sure and gave me $100 beverage card. The rest of my clothes and shoes came later that evening. More to follow

the bar scene in Hamilton is "in season" i.e. not May or Sept. Best not to be on the street side anytime. Nice scenery and peace and Quiet on other side. Decisions about Dockyard/Downtown depends on what you expect from a cruise. Many people just stay put at Dockyard for the bars, beach and partying. Downtown with a two day bus pass (and ferry) will be great for those who want to travel around the island--St. George, Lighthouse, etc. I think cruises to downtown stay longer than those to Dockyard.

We just disembarked yesterday and we’re in a Vista suite facing Front Street and thoroughly enjoyed it. We go to bed fairly early and weren’t bothered by noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got off the Veendam Saturday and had a great time in Bermuda although it didn't start out that way. My husband and I tried to pack lightly so we use small suitcases to bring onboard ourselves. After standing in line for a while we were told that we were going to have to check our luggage even though we knew a from prior experience that they would go through the machine. So we checked our luggage. After boarding we went to our cabin and my husband's suitcase was there. mine however was not. There was a note saying that something was up with my suitcase and to please come down or give them a call. All I could think of was oh great remembering how I had taken a big Listerine bottle poured it into two smaller 4 oz bottles and put them in my suitcase wow I thought they probably think that it's whiskey. Imagine the horror I felt when I called and they told me that my suitcase had fallen into the water but they had retrieved it. When I pack I usually roll my clothes and then put them into baggies t-shirts in one dresses in another I find this helps with wrinkles . The supervisor at the guest relations desk took me to my suitcase where I unzipped it to find everything was really drenched but the worst was when I saw my journal and that was also wet. I just about started to cry so we went through my clothes and I told her what I wanted washed and dried what I wanted just washed and hung to dry and then what needed to be dry cleaned. We then went to the dining room where we had a nice lunch and met some very nice people. Back in our cabin a couple of hours later the items that I requested to be washed and dried were already back in my room along with a new journal. I called the front desk to inquire about my old Journal and was told that the supervisor was taking care of it herself. She also wanted to know if I was interested in any of the spa packages to which I said no but that I would be open to receiving a beverage card. She said sure and gave me $100 beverage card. The rest of my clothes and shoes came later that evening. More to follow

My suitcase was wet as was some of my clothing.Also a book I had in my suitcase was ruined. I called Guest Services and the young woman brushed it off, saying it must have been the rain. Funny that my husband’s luggage was “dry as a bone”. [emoji6] I suspect mine ended up having a quick dip in the harbor, too!

Very long story, and I don't want to say too many disparaging things about a cruise ship on a public forum. My mother used to say that if you have nothing good to say, say nothing. I think that is good advice.

Perception is personal and others on the ship might have a totally different opinion than me.

Let's leave it at: my previous voyages on HAL were great. This one not so much. And even if my back problem was not present (which happened the day before the cruise), my DH and I both agree, this ship was less than stellar.

The destination: Great. Bermuda is lovely. Boston pre and post nights. Very nice. No complaints.

Read a bunch of opinions before you make up your mind. And then average it all out..........

I most bluntly and very oddly for me, let it be known on his forum, I was very, very disappoined with Veendam last July . I have a ton of days on HAL and have sailed all HAL ships but for K dam and Prinsendam and mos tof them many multiple times. Veendam, last u July was the most disappointing HAL cruise I ev er experienced.

We just disembarked yesterday and we’re in a Vista suite facing Front Street and thoroughly enjoyed it. We go to bed fairly early and weren’t bothered by noise.

Did you mention somewhere that she was sold?

I most bluntly and very oddly for me, let it be known on his forum, I was very, very disappoined with Veendam last July . I have a ton of days on HAL and have sailed all HAL ships but for K dam and Prinsendam and mos tof them many multiple times. Veendam, last u July was the most disappointing HAL cruise I ev er experienced.

You and I now have something else in common....!

Yes this Veendam trip was a huge disapointment to say the least.

Turned us off to cruising at least for the forseeable future. Many reasons for this....this HAL ship and it's issues.....and my back issues and my DH's back issues. We will continue to travel, but probably not be isolated on a cruise ship with limited medical help. Shorter domestic US land journeys may fill the bill with access to medical assistance.

It was the perfect storm on this trip....unsatisfied with ship (many things) and medical issues.

Just unfortunate all around.

I am very sorry I soldiered on and went instead of cancelling the trip the day before like I should have.

I sailed Dawn to Bermuda, 2016 and Veendam to Bermuda 2017 both 7 days from Bostotn. I enjoyed bo th cruises. there were some things I liked better on each. I don't know you so have no idea what you like and how you like it. :) Sorry I cannot know what matters to you on a ship.

I'm confused? Enjoyable or disappointing.

Smooth seas going over. Rough coming back. Bermuda is gorgeous. Hamilton very nice.

Did not care for the Veendam....JMO

Rough seas going over, not so bad coming home. Love Bermuda and docking in Hamilton- our 6th time in Bermuda, 3rd on the Veendam. First for DH and I...our honeymoon was 50 years ago May 25th! I did a cruise to Bermuda during College Week in 1962 on the Ocean Monarch. Veendam is OK. Just OK... but, it’s the only way that I know of to cruise from Boston and dock in Hamilton.

Rough seas going over, not so bad coming home. Love Bermuda and docking in Hamilton- our 6th time in Bermuda, 3rd on the Veendam. First for DH and I...our honeymoon was 50 years ago May 25th! I did a cruise to Bermuda during College Week in 1962 on the Ocean Monarch. Veendam is OK. Just OK... but, it’s the only way that I know of to cruise from Boston and dock in Hamilton.

Bermuda is gorgeous I agree and docking in Hamilton was great.

My pre-cruise time in Boston (despite back issues) was wonderful...I always enjoy Boston and loved seeing my friends there.

The Veendam (not it's crew--they were great and tried very hard despite what seemed like obvious staff cutbacks---not enough staff IMO) was the big disappointment.

One good thing: staff serving the food in Lido....no self service. Good idea.

Edited by Irish Eyes Are Sailing

Bermuda is gorgeous I agree and docking in Hamilton was great.

My pre-cruise time in Boston (despite back issues) was wonderful...I always enjoy Boston and loved seeing my friends there.

The Veendam (not it's crew--they were great and tried very hard despite what seemed like obvious staff cutbacks---not enough staff IMO) was the big disappointment.

One good thing: staff serving tge food in Lido....no self service. Good idea.

I agree...the crew was great. The ship is just very tired. 3 aft elevators not working on Friday??? Waited a half hour then went to the forward elevators.

They should have kept Ryndam and dumped Veendam. [emoji20]

I'm confused? Enjoyable or disappointing.

Thank you! I read and re-read both posts and could not make heads or tails out of it.

How do you enjoy a cruise and like somethings better on it then another line’s cruise and then decide you were very very disappointed in it? Just asking.

Thank you! I read and re-read both posts and could not make heads or tails out of it.

How do you enjoy a cruise and like somethings better on it then another line’s cruise and then decide you were very very disappointed in it? Just asking.

It’s a head scratcher...[emoji854]

If I had the space in my schedule I would book Veendam to Hamilton in a heartbeat. I didn't mind the age of the ship and her various issues e.g. our toilet was broken (not just not working) when we embarked but it was fixed in short order. The hand soap wasn't in place The safe malfunctioned but that too was put right when the guest services representative could come up to reset it.

I've lost track of the number of ships I have sailed on but it is substantial. I have travelled in both inside cabins as well as the most expensive suites and the cabin stewards always introduce themselves within an hour or two of boarding...except this time. By Sunday morning we wondered if we would ever see our cabin steward and his assistant or, just communicate by notes. I understand they may have been over worked or under trained but this did stand out. They also seemed to disregard the "Please Service Room" tab or, they never learned our schedules. We are early risers and went to breakfast early and the room had never been made up upon our return. I also had an issue with guest services and our Mariner society. It was very poorly handled and barely to my satisfaction at that.

Perhaps I have more sensitive hearing but the bar near the aft end of the ship on Front Street was very loud. Our Vista Suite was forward. Our door was closed but the drapes were open a few inches. Closing them one night did make things quieter. The almost constant din of car horns and motor bike engines (which were very evident when we were on our balcony) was not as relaxing as I would have liked.

Even with the negatives being docked on Front Street for four days is a unique and wonderful experience which can't be done on any other ship that I know of.

kacurl,

Was your original journal returned in acceptable condition? I have got to say that your experience was shocking. I had heard stories of the longshoreman in NY "accidentally" dropping a suitcase in to the East River in retaliation for not receiving a tip but thought it was confabulation. The idea of suitcases falling out of the cages is sobering.

I know Veendam can do better. I sailed her enough through the years to know that. She fell very short last summer. IMO I go as far back sailing her as her Inaugural summer in he Caibbean.......... In those years, new HAL ships did a summmer in the Caribbean and we loved those cruises. We always went b-to-b and they were terrific.

We met and made so many friends we loved and sailed with for years.

Yes my journal is ok. She did a good job and I can still read all the pages. We really had a good time and were lucky with the weather. This was our 5th time to Bermuda . 3rd on the Veendam. Staying in Hamilton is why we sail on her. The destination is the reason we take this cruise.

kacurl,

I'm happy to hear that your journal was returned in fairly good condition. Good to know that Guest Services took care of an issue for which they were not to blame.

Years ago DH and I boarded a Cunard ship for a transatlantic. We planned to bicycle for several weeks and return on the same ship. At the last minute we let our packed bicycle panniers go with the rest of our suitcases. We hadn't planned on it and had left a tube of sunscreen in one of the pockets.

We passed a uniformed staff member holding one of our panniers in her white gloved hands at arm's length with a look of extreme distaste. Not only had the sunscreen exploded but the panniers had been ripped. The Purser arranged for it to be laundered and sent it to the ship's tailor. The first task was well done, the second part left a bit to be desired.

Yes, the Veendam to Front Street is one of those trips I could do many more times.

Yes my journal is ok. She did a good job and I can still read all the pages. We really had a good time and were lucky with the weather. This was our 5th time to Bermuda . 3rd on the Veendam. Staying in Hamilton is why we sail on her. The destination is the reason we take this cruise.

Exactly!! Same here!