Weather at Machu Picchu in late March

4774Papa

We are planning to visit Machu Picchu late March, on our way to join a cruise in Chile. Internet says that the rainy season ends at the end of February. Also, it says most tourists go there May-August.

Has anyone been there in late March? Any problems?

Also, I have found several tours available. One is very inexpensive, $600 pp and only involves three nights. Is a three star hotel OK there?

I have been there in March...the weather was nice...warm but over cast.

Never discount the possibility of a little rain in the tropics, even at 8900 ft above sea level.

The price you mention is fine unless you want a lot of bells and whistles. We went last year in December for about the same money. (it was rainy off and on)

Be sure your trip includes a day tour of Cuzco (on a little bus/van). Cuzco is at 11,000 ft...instant headache for me...coca tea helps. My wife took diamox for the altitude and now swears by it.

Does the price you mention include airfare from Lima? Sometimes that is missing, but is not a big expense.

Note: The Lima airport is in a miserable part of the city...so if you need to spend the night before you fly to Cuzco be aware that there is a rather expensive (but nice) hotel at the airport, but other hotels in better neighborhoods are a 30 minute ride into Lima (with light traffic...rush hour allow an hour.)

I should add that visitors in our summer is rather bogus...that is winter time in the Andes. Seeing snow is not out of the question.

Also, the govt. limits the number of visitors...actually giving tickets. I think the daily allowance is in the neighborhood of 2500. Your tickets should be included in any tour package you buy. With that in mind, our last visit in December was very heavy with visitors. MP has become so popular that I doubt there is any season that it isn't well populated.

There is a kiosk near the MP exit where you can have your passport stamped if you like.

Edited by thinfool

• 4 weeks later...

I'd love some info also about travel to Cuzco and Machu Picchu. Can anyone recommend a reliable...good quality tour group that I might check out? We, also will leave from Chile, but would consider going a week or so early to see these sights. Thanks for any recommendations!!

Margaret and Mike,

Here is the tour company that we are using. They get good ratings.

https://www.peruagency.com/agencias/#!

Asunto:Fwd: Send Enquiry - Peru AgencyFecha:Thu, 8 Feb 2018 16:40:22 -0500De:Rosa Pacheco - Peru Agency
Responder a:
Para:Fanny Alvarado

ROSA PACHECO | TRAVEL ADVISOR

12 años creando experiencias únicas - 12 Years creating unique experiencesTel: 511-7119966 anx: 102 //5184-262699 anx: 102 | Whatsapp: +51-943852958

Email:

• 2 weeks later...
I'd love some info also about travel to Cuzco and Machu Picchu. Can anyone recommend a reliable...good quality tour group that I might check out? We, also will leave from Chile, but would consider going a week or so early to see these sights. Thanks for any recommendations!!
We're considering a tour also - though considerably different. But you may want to check out Galapagos tour with Peru extension that includes Machu Picchu. The tour group gets 4.5 of 5 stars.