Vancouver to Miami

Tweedy

I’m currently researching flights from Vancouver to Miami for next April. Several options have popped up with connection cities including Toronto, Montreal, DFW, PHX and LAX.

My thought was to avoid the Cdn airports simply for the fact that I could go through customs in Vancouver and not have to worry about collecting luggage between flights. Having said that, I was thinking of going through DFW but would an 1 hr 13 min be enough connection time? There is also a 3 hr 38 min layover in DFW. PHX is 2 hours and there are several options for LAX.

Any opinions from experienced flyers? I’ll be flying on points so airline choice isn’t a factor.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DFW is very efficient for its size, and you can get between any two gates in the airport within about 15-20 minutes with average mobility. I have made many 50-70 minute connections at DFW and wouldn't hesitate doing it again. I would urge you to try to sit as far forward in the YVR-DFW flight as possible to help your chances. I personally don't see the need for a 3h38 layover in DFW. Also, DFW and MIA are both AA hubs, so there are several flights each day to increase your chances of getting a seat on one of them should you miss the first flight.

2 hours in PHX is fine too. PHX and MIA, are both AA hubs too, but there are fewer PHX-MIA flights than there are DFW-MIA flights. I would still choose DFW over PHX.

LAX - no real need to transit through there if you can get PHX or DFW instead.

Finally, have you looked at Alaska YVR-SEA-MIA?

Finally, have you looked at Alaska YVR-SEA-MIA?

Alaska would be to FLL, they no longer fly to MIA. The OP is using points, if not I would tell the OP to look at FLL prices too. '

It seems clear you are using points on American with the choices you gave. I don't think you will go wrong with any of them. I think a stop in DFW would likely be the lease amount of time in the air with two 3-hour or so flights. DFW is an easy airport to navigate and 70-mins is enough. As the other poster said, tons of flights on AA between MIA and DFW as well if you had a missed connection. Same with LAX-MIA, plenty of flights. But it seems like LAX would be a bit more flying time.

LAX is a simple airport to connect at also with American Airlines.

I have never flown to PHX, but again I never have had a difficult connection experience in the U.S. usually the terminals are fairy easily to get around.

Unless you are flying business/first and type of aircraft is important I think DFW is your best bet.

Alaska would be to FLL, they no longer fly to MIA. The OP is using points, if not I would tell the OP to look at FLL prices too.

Thanks, I wasn't aware they stopped MIA...assumed they were doing both MIA and FLL.

OP, definitely look at FLL too (whether on AA, Alaska, or anyone) as it practically doubles your flights and may result in more preferable times and fares. If it does, the small price of getting from Ft Lauderdale to Miami is probably worth it.

Thanks for the input. I’m not limited to the airline as the points I’m using is through a CC so you aren’t tied to just one airline. We will be booking first class/business so sitting forward in the cabin of the plane won’t be a problem. I thought the 3 1/2 hours in DFW is a long time and from what I can tell, we wouldn’t have to change terminals in DFW either which would be great. It’s been about 15 years since I’ve flown through DFW and had never had a problem with connections.

I thought about taking the quick shuttle and heading down to Seattle and haven’t ruled that out just yet since I’m just at the beginning of my research. I know FLL is an option too but we are booked into a hotel around the Blue Lagoon in MIA and since it is a long day of flying, want to keep it as simple as possible.

Again, thanks!!

Although weather will be less of a factor in April, both Montreal and Toronto can be affected by Spring Snow storms which is also something to factor in.

I would research using ITA Matrix which can give you some great ideas of routing options.

As far as flying in to FLL, don't rule it out. I've flown into FLL for a cruise leaving from Miami and have flown into MIA for a cruise leaving out of Ft Lauderdale. If the routing and price are right, the different (IMHO) between those two airports is minimal.

And if flying into one airport and leaving from the cruiseport associated with the other, consider a rental car for your ground transport. Costs would be not much more, plus it would give you the flexibility to have wheels prior to your cruise.

from what I can tell, we wouldn’t have to change terminals in DFW either

AA uses all five terminals at DFW (used to just be four of the five, but they have expanded very slightly in to Terminal E). Your flight could be departing to or leaving any of them, but odds are it will be some combination of A, C, and D. There is a decent chance you'll need to change terminals, but it's really not a big deal - there is a quick train with two stops in each terminal, and you don't need to leave security to take it.

I’m currently researching flights from Vancouver to Miami for next April. Several options have popped up with connection cities including Toronto, Montreal, DFW, PHX and LAX.

My thought was to avoid the Cdn airports simply for the fact that I could go through customs in Vancouver and not have to worry about collecting luggage between flights....

You bags are automatically transferred in Toronto. You do go through US customs in Toronto but it is a dedicated area to connecting passengers and the customs officer scans your boarding pass and the photos of your bags are displayed to him/her.

Alaska through Seattle is another option.

You bags are automatically transferred in Toronto. You do go through US customs in Toronto but it is a dedicated area to connecting passengers and the customs officer scans your boarding pass and the photos of your bags are displayed to him/her.

Alaska through Seattle is another option.

Unless this process is new in the last couple of years, this has never been our experience. We have always had to collect our bags. The connection times are far too short for the process. I’ve missed connections before in TO and not a fun way to start a vacation.

Unless this process is new in the last couple of years, this has never been our experience. We have always had to collect our bags. The connection times are far too short for the process. I’ve missed connections before in TO and not a fun way to start a vacation.

Are you on Air Canada or WestJet?

If it is Air Canada to Air Canada or United then my experience over the past two years has been automatic bag transfers work quite well.

If you are in Terminal 3 on WestJet it is more painful as you have to go through security again.

• 2 weeks later...

If airline doesn't matter, you should also see options on Delta. They fly nonstop between YVR-ATL-MIA, and the Atlanta airport, while huge, is easy to transit. All concourses are connected airside by the plane train, which runs frequently and quickly, and signage throughout the airport is pretty clear.

That’s for everyone’s input. Good to know that finally auto bag transfer is happening in TO. As for Delta, I can’t help but remember a comedians joke on a recent cruise where he explained the initials of Delta Airlines... don’t expect luggage to arrive.

Still looking at prices and options since we are still 9 months out.

As for Delta, I can’t help but remember a comedians joke on a recent cruise where he explained the initials of Delta Airlines... don’t expect luggage to arrive.

That joke is as old as the hills, as is the other version, "doesn't ever leave the airport." I hope you don't really choose airlines based on stale comedy routines. ;)