Rain Pants or Not?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:10 AM.
180 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by quietcricket
This is my situation too (except we're taking four kids in a week.) All of the "might be nice" stuff really adds up both in price but more importantly in packing space!
Have a wonderful and amazing time! I'll be looking for your trip report and/or updates, especially if you have kid friendly tips/ideas.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming Soon - Med Cruise in 2020 - cruise line TBD

Past sailings:
RCCL Radiance of the Seas - Northbound Alaska (Inside Passage) - August 2018

Celebrity Equinox - 10 day Southern Caribbean - March 2015
Carnival Dream - Western Caribbean - March 2011
Big Red Boat - 1993 - maybe
California
1,733 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Just got back and I brought my rain proof pants. Although it rained hard in Ketchikan (surprise!), I could have gotten by like many in door steps and going in shops. I think their best use is as a wind barrier. If you plan any active excursion out on the water you might want to consider having them. Even if your whale watching boat has an interior, when they spot the whales, everyone heads outside for photos. And then the whale goes down for a few minutes while you stand outside and freeze. We did the most marvelous tour out of Prince Rupert to see the grizzly bears in the Khutzeymateen Valley (only available in late May to mid July). But it did get cold while we watched them on shore.

I say bring them. They pack to nothing. If you don’t and change your mind, we bought fairly inexpensive ones in Ketchikan our first trip. They don’t look fashionable but did the job.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
TN
95 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
Here is a tip if you have this store in your area - I just bought rain pants (actually fishing pants) at Academy Sports. They were on sale for about $20. Look like Columbia, but the brand is Magellan. I love them! Very lightweight, and they will be easy to pack. They had black, gray, and khaki. It will be nice to have them in case there is a downpour kind of day. Feeling damp all day annoys me so I think I will be glad I bought them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

MS Eurodam, 7-14-18
Liberty of the Seas, 12-17-12
Radiance of the Seas, 11-22-10
Charlotte, NC
3,268 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
The Frogg Toggs I had mentioned and purchased are nice because they fit over pants. Just be aware of what type of rain pants you are buying.....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

9/2012 - Carnival Victory
5/2012 - Carnival Elation
6/2011 - Carnival Fascination
Maui (Kihei)
456 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
We only had Sports Authority here and they are bankrupt. Going to Dick's before the cruise. They sell the Frogg Toggs. Hubby said nah, but I'm getting some! Will leave the tags on, so I can return if not used. Magellan's products are good too.
1,028 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
You can order Magellan from Academy’s website. Free shipping for orders over $ 25 and Free returns, if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2018 - Jewel of the Seas - Barbados / Dominica / Grenada / St Maarten / St Thomas
2018 - HAL Rotterdam - Key West / Roatan / Santo Tomas de Castillo / Costa Maya
2017 - Radiance of the Seas - Alaskan Cruise - Vancouver to Seward - Ketchikan / Sitka / Haines / Juneau / Skagway / Hubbard Glacier
2016 - Carnival Splendor - Roatan / Belize / Costa Maya / Cozumel / Grand Cayman
2016 - Carnival Valor - Nassau / Amber Cove / Grand Turk
2015 - Explorer of the Seas - Cocoa Cay / Cozumel
2014 - Jewel of the Seas - Southern Caribbean
2013 - Voyager of the Seas - Western Caribbean
2010 - Carnival Breeze - Eastern Caribbean
2008 - Norwegian - Exotic Western Caribbean
2007 - Princess - Alaskan Cruise
1995 - SeaBreeze - Eastern Caribbean
1992 - Mardi Gras - Bahamas
1991 - Fesitvale - Bahamas
1991 - MS Caribe 1 - Eastern Caribbean
1988 - Starship Oceanic - Bahamas
Seattle
3,367 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Originally posted by Dancing Shoes
Most concerned with the Tracy Arm excursion. Will want to be outside sometimes. Also, Ketchikan for walking around and to catch my float plane tour.
No, you don't need rain pants, particularly for what you've mentioned. I lived in Alaska for 38 years and did multiple Alaska cruises, used them twice and never on a cruise.
925 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
We had lightweight Frogg Togg 2 piece rainsuits. About $20 each. Never needed any of it but glad it was on the shelf just in case. Was not going to stay indoors if we had rain in Glacier Bay. The Gods smiled on us with good weather during the week.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Golden Princess 5/18
Windstar Star Pride 1/18
Carnival Sunshine 4/17
Carnival Freedom 10/16
Carnival Valor 3/14
Star Clipper 12/12
Carnival Splendor 3/11
Carnival Freedom 11/09
Carnival Miracle 11/08
Carnival Destiny 3/07

Windjammer Polynesia 3/06
Raleigh, N.C.
13,645 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
Waterproof shoes are more important. We hiked in intermittent rain in Skagway on one cruise. The best things I had were my waterproof shoes and a good quality rain poncho. It was warm enough to wear shorts, and the poncho kept them dry.
Orlando, FL
655 Posts
Joined May 2017
Been in Alaska since last Tuesday making our way down from Fairbanks to Seward before we cruise on Friday. We bought $20 Frogg Toggs from Walmart & wore them on our helicopter/glacier hike yesterday. Definitely worth it. It wasn’t raining but we had to kneel on the ice, went into an ice cave where we brushed against the walls, etc. We also would have worn them the day before on our heli/glacier dog sled excursion but it was cancelled due to extreme wind. We re-booked a similar excursion for the cruise & will wear them then. Lastly, we’ll either wear or bring them on our 9-hour Kenai Fjord tour tomorrow.

So all that said, I highly recommend them if you’re doing anything on a glacier & wouldn’t mind having them for other activities although I’m sure you could survive without them if you really don’t wanna spend the money.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Long review of recent Alaska 10 day DIY land & Radiance SB - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show....php?t=2656059
Completed Cruises
June 2018 - Radiance - Alaska Southbound + 10 day DIY pre-tour
July 2017 - Oasis - Eastern Caribbean
June 2017 - Oasis - Western Caribbean
August 2015 - Freedom - Western Caribbean
June 2014 - Enchantment - Bahamas (Achieved Diamond after marrying into Emerald)
June 2012 - Allure - Eastern Caribbean
March 2008 - Mariner - Eastern Caribbean
July 2007 - Mariner - Eastern Caribbean
June 2002 - Voyager - Western Caribbean (Honeymoon, 1st ever cruise)