Sydney Questions

mhb1757

we will be taking the Indian Pacific train from Perth to Sydney, then will have 5 nights before our cruise begins. Looking for someplace to stay for those nights that won’t break the bank. Considering Airbnb or similar, but hotel would be fine too. We would be perfectly happy in an outlying area if there was access to public transportation but don’t know which areas would be best. Any suggestions for locations and/or hotels welcome (or areas to avoid).

The most convenient areas to stay for sightseeing in Sydney are: Circular Quay/The Rocks, CBD (downtown) or Darling Harbour.

I’ve stayed at the Intercontinental, the Sydney Harbour B&B and the Ibis Darling Harbour. They were all different rates, but all good choices.

Depends on what’s mst important to you

Location or price

Location comes down to what you want to do AND perhaps where you dock.

But I love the Rocks area, but it trends expensive.

For price the Ibis, World Square is handy to shops, cheap eats and at a good price. But no views, a bit far from the OPT.

with 5 nights in Sydney, I would go for an apartment for the space, kitchen and laundry facilities.

yes, it would be nice to stay near Circular Quay but that's $$$.

CCritic Board rules means that we cannot promote other sites so we're limited in what we can suggest...

look at apartments in Surry Hills, Ultimo, Darlinghurst - come back with some locations and we can comment on them

There are a lot of "Serviced Apartments" in Sydney. We used Meriton. They have a number of locations at various prices. Big company and good web site. We stayed at the Kent street location. The apartment was very nice and we were able to cook our own breakfasts and a light dinner after a big lunch. Convenient location for restaurants, shopping and transportation.

Good luck, Robbie

Hi. We booked 5 night stay in syd before our cruise at the Best western stellar in a 3 bedroom apartment .great price and near hyde park. Museum station is very close by (400m) which will take you to circular quay. We enjoyed our stay there.:)

Thanks for the replies. I think I’ll spend some time looking at serviced apartments and will probably be back asking for help with locations.

Meriton or quest I’ve found good in other locations, and for five days probably a good choice.

• 1 month later...

Our family of 4 stayed at the Meriton Apts on Pitt Street. There was a market around the corner to your right at the opposite end off George. With the 4 of us it was cheaper then 2 nights at a hotel. with 2 rooms. We bought our food and brought it back to the apartment

We were on a wonderful 22 day cruise from Seattle to Sydney. I wrote out the details and advice on my website. Look around under "Travel to Australia and Europe"

We were very pleased with our hotel in Potts Point. So much cheaper than the usual recommendations near the harbor. Details in the review.

https://donnagawell.com/europe/australia/sydney-australia/

We were on a wonderful 22 day cruise from Seattle to Sydney. I wrote out the details and advice on my website. Look around under "Travel to Australia and Europe"

We were very pleased with our hotel in Potts Point. So much cheaper than the usual recommendations near the harbor. Details in the review.

https://donnagawell.com/europe/australia/sydney-australia/

you picked well

As a Sydneysider, I agree that Potts Point is the best place to stay if you are visiting Sydney. It’s close to most of the main attractions and has a lot of good restaurants and interesting architecture.

you picked well

As a Sydneysider, I agree that Potts Point is the best place to stay if you are visiting Sydney. It’s close to most of the main attractions and has a lot of good restaurants and interesting architecture.

Very glad to read this as we are staying there

I also love Potts Point, which feels like Sydney. I recently stayed five nights at De Vere Hotel, Macleay Street, Potts Point. Great location, close to harbourfront walks and excellent restaurants from inexpensive to expensive. You can walk to the city via a beautiful walk through the Botanical Gardens.