SILVER SPIRIT - Renovation and other questions

Magor2015

Hi

We are on the Spirit from September 10th. First time with SS. Previous cruises with Seabourn, Celebrity, RC.

ANY advice would be appreciated but a few specific questions.

1. Have ALL the suites been renovated including the bathrooms? Or just the “new section”?

2. My wife has a chronic back condition and we usually take a Tempur Mattress topper. What are the beds like? Hard, soft? Subjective I know!

3. Any “insider” tips (e.g ordering caviar) that are not widely known or communicated by SS to get make the best of our trip?

4. Does anyone have a photo of recent menus from the various venues?

Many thanks in advance!

1. Suites have been fully renovated, bathrooms have not been but I think they were in good condition.2. Don’t know if you can request a mattress topper. Mattress is not super firm nor is it soft. We like a firm mattress and the bed is ok for us. They have a full pillow menu.

3. We don’t eat caviar; not sure if they offer it. You can pre-order special items at least 24 hours in advance with the dining room maitre’d.

4. Don’t have photos, and the menus change anyway. But we are really pleasantly surprised by the changes on the Spirit—the ship feels much upgraded from the former style.

No 'insider tips' re caviar. They charge you for it and last time I was on SS - admittedly several years ago - they had flyers in the suite advertising which caviar types they sold and prices/weight etc. Definitely no secrets about ordering caviar, they want you to buy it!

No 'insider tips' re caviar. They charge you for it and last time I was on SS - admittedly several years ago - they had flyers in the suite advertising which caviar types they sold and prices/weight etc. Definitely no secrets about ordering caviar, they want you to buy it!

That may be true, but on our Wind cruise in April they ran out. We tried to buy a whole load for a private party and could only ‘sell’ us their last two.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Excellent photos, looking at the menus the ships now all seem to be the same, not necessarily a good thing IMHO.

In fairness Silver Spectre the quality of the food was on the whole superb and their was plenty of variety. We loved Seishin so much we ate there 3 times. Indochine was Superb too. Atlantide we only had lunch once but it was very good. We never got to try Silver Note as it didn’t open till the end of the cruise and we’d been on the waitlist for 2 months for the Friday and the Saturday but not to be. The arts cafe did a nice afternoon tea which we only tried once towards the end of the cruise as it opened late too. La Terrazza was a bit disorganised but decent enough. It was nice to eat out on deck. Hot Rocks was an experience too.

la Dame was disappointing, avoid the lobster tail in pea soup as a main course at all costs! And

Spacanopoli was very poor, the ‘pizza’ was inedible. But on the whole I think once they’ve settled in there will be plenty of choice of decent quality venues.

In fairness Silver Spectre the quality of the food was on the whole superb and their was plenty of variety. We loved Seishin so much we ate there 3 times. Indochine was Superb too. Atlantide we only had lunch once but it was very good. We never got to try Silver Note as it didn’t open till the end of the cruise and we’d been on the waitlist for 2 months for the Friday and the Saturday but not to be. The arts cafe did a nice afternoon tea which we only tried once towards the end of the cruise as it opened late too. La Terrazza was a bit disorganised but decent enough. It was nice to eat out on deck. Hot Rocks was an experience too.

la Dame was disappointing, avoid the lobster tail in pea soup as a main course at all costs! And

Spacanopoli was very poor, the ‘pizza’ was inedible. But on the whole I think once they’ve settled in there will be plenty of choice of decent quality venues.

I’m not unhappy about the quality generally, but the choice reduction is not good. Before Le Champagne became La Dame the menus would change, and there was an extra course (but for $40 instead of the current $60 charge). However, the real issue is the Musification of the Spirit and the change from an MDR with a daily changing menu and significant choice to relatively static menus in Atlantide and Indochine. The current setup has less choice, and this is particularly relevant on longer cruises.

I’m not unhappy about the quality generally, but the choice reduction is not good. Before Le Champagne became La Dame the menus would change, and there was an extra course (but for $40 instead of the current $60 charge). However, the real issue is the Musification of the Spirit and the change from an MDR with a daily changing menu and significant choice to relatively static menus in Atlantide and Indochine. The current setup has less choice, and this is particularly relevant on longer cruises.

I can’t comments as a regular SS cruiser as this was our first time with them. I can imagine if you’re a regular then it might get a bit samey if they don’t change the menu’s regularly. But certainly food wise as a first timer we found the choice and quality of food on the whole superb.

Ive got lots of pics of the new menu's and food from our recent Spirit cruise that I'd be happy to share. Is there a way of dropping them directly into a reply here?

Tapatalk is what I use, though another alternative would be to post a share link to something like a box account.

I shall see first hand the menus tomorrow in Greenwich..... will create a walk through video to post also.

Love your videos, Les. Can you please focus in on power outlets? I'm hoping beyond hope that the aforementioned problems have been resolved. They sound dreadful. Will look forward to your reports & wonderful videos. Safe travels.

i think that some bathrooms no longer have tubs, just a walk in rain shower.

they are listed on the updated deck plans.

That will be surprising, having both tub and shower has been a Silversea feature other than the old Cloud/Wind, and the expedition ships!

We have our first cruise booked on the Spirit after many on the Shadow and Whisper....this being said, I am wondering if special order meals are available on the Spirit and also, does the menu in La Terrazza rotate every 4 days?

...I am wondering if special order meals are available on the Spirit and also, does the menu in La Terrazza rotate every 4 days?
We didn't try special orders, but others said that they were still available. There were no changes to the La T menu (or in Atlantide and Indochine) in 21 days, but senior officers said that the plan was to rotate menus weekly.