Gala Night on Veendam to Bermuda

dznymom

We'll be on the Veendam to Bermuda on June 9. I booked the Pinnacle Grill for Thursday, the day we leave Bermuda. It just occurred to me that Gala Night will likely be that evening. It's been awhile since we sailed HAL, so I can't remember if the Gala Night menu in the MDR is worth changing our Pinnacle reservation to another night? We don't want to miss something special, but the only nights we have available for PG are the first night or that Thursday.

Also, if I remember correctly, we wouldn't need to dress for Gala Night and could just do resort casual if we do PG on Thursday. Is that correct?

Thanks! We are looking forward to another relaxing HAL cruise :)

(weird - I just went to my booking to double check things, and it says we are leaving Monday, June 9, 2018. Very confusing since the 9th is Saturday .... I hope!)

Edited by dznymom

I have not found that there is really anything special about the menu on Gala Night. Maybe it's the night they serve lobster. You can get much better in the PG. I would hands down go with PG. Dress code is basically whatever you want, except for jeans and T shirts, although some people do and are not turned away. Many, many threads regarding the dress code......enough to keep you reading for hours!

Edited by Lady Arwen
spelling

Gala nights on Veendam, in / to Bermuda, were hardly anything to whopp about. :) IMO Food was fine, but it was fine every night in MDR, . I have all the lobster I want at home (Boston) and though I ordered it on gala night , when it was served i gavve the whole plate to my friend. i never touched a fork to it. Had no wish to taste any of it.

Thanks, I will leave the reservation for Thursday. I am from New England, and have never been impressed with cruise ship lobster. I saw King Crab legs on the PG menu, and I am hoping they are yummy!

We always follow the dress code, but just wanted to be sure that it only applies to the MDR. We do nice resort casual every night except the gala nights. I'm happy to pack just one dress & one pair of dressy shoes, so I have more room for snorkel gear and beach paraphernalia. It's time to start the pre-packing ritual :)

On HAL, I have never seen or heard of gala nighgt on first or last night of g ghe cruise The next to last night is almost always gala.

It can vary sometimes due to departure time from ports but never last night.

Just disembarked. First Gala on our cruise had the rack of lamb, jumbo shrimp cocktail and escargot. Second one had ssurf and turf. Nothing special.

We did Pinnacle Friday night (our 50th anniversary) and wish we’d done it on the last Gala night!

Next cruise, we’re going to do Pinnacle much more frequently.

AGala night: a handful of tuxes and suits. Some sport jackets. Mostly smart casual dress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just disembarked. First Gala on our cruise had the rack of lamb, jumbo shrimp cocktail and escargot. Second one had ssurf and turf. Nothing special.

We did Pinnacle Friday night (our 50th anniversary) and wish we’d done it on the last Gala night!

AGala night: a handful of tuxes and suits. Some sport jackets. Mostly smart casual dress.

Happy Anniversary

Hope your c ruise was great.

You just disembarked which ship? :confused:

Veendam?

Happy : go read Pinnacle was good.

If you were on Veendam....

It was the worst Pinnacle t I ever experiecned when we were on Veendam las summer. Awful Pinnacle manager. Maybe he moved along and is working elsewhere?

Edited by sail7seas

Thanks, I will leave the reservation for Thursday. I am from New England, and have never been impressed with cruise ship lobster. I saw King Crab legs on the PG menu, and I am hoping they are yummy!

We always follow the dress code, but just wanted to be sure that it only applies to the MDR. We do nice resort casual every night except the gala nights. I'm happy to pack just one dress & one pair of dressy shoes, so I have more room for snorkel gear and beach paraphernalia. It's time to start the pre-packing ritual :)

The dress code on Gala Night applies to all fine dining restaurants - the MDR and the Pinnacle Grill included. You can find more at this link: Know Before You Go

Happy Anniversary

Hope your c ruise was great.

You just disembarked which ship? :confused:

Veendam?

Happy : go read Pinnacle was good.

If you were on Veendam....

It was the worst Pinnacle t I ever experiecned when we were on Veendam las summer. Awful Pinnacle manager. Maybe he moved along and is working elsewhere?

It was excellent. Service was superb.

Thanks so much! We will definitely do Pinnacle on Thursday. It sounds like I made a perfect choice! If it wasn't a Bermuda itinerary, we would likely do specialties more than once, but we will likely have dinner in Bermuda at least one night, and may be too lazy to go to a dining room after a full day on the beach another night.

Happy 50th Anniversary!

The dress code on Gala Night applies to all fine dining restaurants - the MDR and the Pinnacle Grill included. You can find more at this link: Know Before You Go

Thanks! I'll step it up on both Gala Nights then. We cruise different lines, and sometimes I can't keep track of the small differences, and this is definitely one of those things. Guess I'm going shopping for something sparkly tomorrow since I lost a bunch of weight and haven't replaced much of my fancy stuff yet :cool:

Thanks! I'll step it up on both Gala Nights then. We cruise different lines, and sometimes I can't keep track of the small differences, and this is definitely one of those things. Guess I'm going shopping for something sparkly tomorrow since I lost a bunch of weight and haven't replaced much of my fancy stuff yet :cool:

Congratulations! It's always fun to have a reason to get something new. Just found a new silk top that folds up into nothing which is good for packing when we have to schlep suitcases in Europe.