best time to go?

sloper12

I am in the planning stage for an Alaska cruise. Wondering if there is a "better" time of year to go? Does a certain time of year allow for better wildlife viewing? I'm so new into the Alaska planning that I know nothing :o

We have been to Alaska 5 times and going again next week for #6...personally we like going in September....prices are lower and it seems less congested.....We have seen wildlife on all our trips so far in May, August and September....this will be our first time going in late June....Whatever schedule fits yours is the best time to go...alaska is an amazing place so just go and enjoy it.

eclue

When I planned my trip I looked to see what excursions I wanted to do. I then worked my itinerary around that. For instance, if you want to see bears, you go at a certain time. If you want to go up Tracy Arm, summer is better, less chance of ice.

Start there and decide on a ship. I really like this guide book called: Frommer's Alaska Cruises & Ports Of Call. My edition is 2010 and there may be one newer. HAL has added a ship, maybe others too. You'll still get a lot of info.

I am going R/T out of Vancouver. Decide if you want one way or R/T. R/T would be less money, as you don't have to fly as far. Good luck and happy planning. You can always check out Trip Advisor. I get info there too about eating in ports and things to do.

I am in the planning stage for an Alaska cruise. Wondering if there is a "better" time of year to go? Does a certain time of year allow for better wildlife viewing? I'm so new into the Alaska planning that I know nothing :o

Most of my 14 visits to Alaska have been in May as it is the vacation month with the least average rainfall and sunset is nearly 10:00 PM. Prices are also lower with kids still in school. Lots of frisky baby eagles and whales, deer can be seen.

September sunsets are many hours sooner so you lose a lot of "wildlife" and "scenery" opportunities.

I've visited Alaska in every time frame, each certainly has excellent opportunities. Knowing what your priority is for your trip is essential. So, figure out what tours you are considering. those can be time sensitive as example.

I agree with other posts that suggest starting with what you want to see / do. Find the time of year that is best, then find itineraries that spend the most time in the ports with those activities. This is more important than the specific ship or cruise line.

My personal preference is May. Generally better weather, less crowded, there is still lots of snow on the mountains and as a bonus, rates are usually cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are doing our 2nd cruise to Alaska this September. Our first one was in May (several years ago) and the weather was way too warm for me. We had to buy short sleeve t-shirts on the ship as everything we packed was way too hot to wear. As others have said, weather in Alaska is very variable. Best to pack clothing that can be layered. We are looking forward to a cooler cruise this time. No matter when you decide to go, you will have a great time. Enjoy!!

We are doing our 2nd cruise to Alaska this September. Our first one was in May (several years ago) and the weather was way too warm for me. We had to buy short sleeve t-shirts on the ship as everything we packed was way too hot to wear. As others have said, weather in Alaska is very variable. Best to pack clothing that can be layered. We are looking forward to a cooler cruise this time. No matter when you decide to go, you will have a great time. Enjoy!!

I think your May trip weather might be the exception as far as the heat. Our May trip was cool and sunny. We just returned from an early June trip and the highs were about 52 F and cloudy with the wind chill making it cooler. People were definitely bundled up. When the sun came out (rarely) it felt much warmer but definitely not shorts weather. I think layers is the trick and last minute packing adjustments with weather predictions.

Here are the monthly averages:

https://championtraveler.com/dates/best-time-to-visit-southeast-alaska-ak-us/

Sent from my iPad using Forums