Royal Palms with Kids

Ram32

We want to spend the day at the beach and I want to rent a cabana at Royal Palms. I know the pool is adult only, but how kid friendly is the beach? I have two boys 10 and 12 and I don't want to be in a complete party scene. I hear mixed reviews on it but don't see a lot of kids. I'm worried we will get there and they will be out place.

Our cruise ship is there all day and I just want to relax and enjoy the beach.

Thanks!

It's a beach. As long as they're fine with just beach and no other activities, and less space to run around, it's fine...depending on your fellow cruisers. Nighttime is when the locals go there to party. Daytime, it's almost entirely cruise ship visitors, so YMMV depending on who else shows up.

We just returned from a day at Royal Palms. The day time was not a large party scene. There were lots of families and I saw many kids playing in the sand.

Chairs were $12 each and umbrellas $15. $2 each to get in. This is all USD and they do give change back in USD. Or they take credit cards.

There were servers who would bring food and drinks. The food is expensive, the price is in Cayman Islands dollars and they convert at 1.25. But what we order was very good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I saw people with their own snorkel gear. The beach was really sandy so I don’t know how good snorkeling would be.

There was a business on the beach where you could buy activities, they had a boat with a sign that said snorkeling tours. I saw the boat leave and come back. I did not go check out the sign the business had with activities and prices.

Thank you for asking this! I had a very similar question! We were hoping to kind of "wing" our Grand Cayman day as we've already done all the major water sites on a previous cruise. Is Royal Palms the type of place where we can just show up (probably around 11 am) and rent chairs/umbrellas, etc.? Or do we really need to rent a cabana in advance?

You can just show up anytime. People were still arriving when we left around 1pm. There were plenty of chairs and umbrellas and a nice patio/bar area you can sit at.

I did not really pay attention to the cabanas. They were empty when we got there. Not sure if people used them.

You can just show up anytime. People were still arriving when we left around 1pm. There were plenty of chairs and umbrellas and a nice patio/bar area you can sit at.

I did not really pay attention to the cabanas. They were empty when we got there. Not sure if people used them.

This is perfect, thank you so much! It's great to know there is a good beach option on GC that doesn't require a lot of pre-planning.

Just thought I would add that the bathroom and changing area was very nice and clean. And there was an area outside to shower off. If you have kids you will want to shower them, I saw several that were coated in sand after playing. The beach is a very fine sand.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...
It's a beach. As long as they're fine with just beach and no other activities, and less space to run around, it's fine...depending on your fellow cruisers. Nighttime is when the locals go there to party. Daytime, it's almost entirely cruise ship visitors, so YMMV depending on who else shows up.

There's plenty of space to run around in front of Royal Palms. But, the water is quite calm and not too deep. Plus, you might get lucky and see the occasional stingray swimming near the shore.

Royal Palms becomes more of a party scene at night and even then, it's an older crowd. Not your frat boys / sorority girl types.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there with our 7-year old last week. From about 11 to 3. It was completely mellow on the beach the whole time. (Only two ships though.) Just families. We did reserve a cabana and really enjoyed that. The food was delicious, especially the ceviche. And a great range of non-alcoholic drinks for the kids. Only about half the cabanas were in use, so it was possible to get one on the spur of the moment.

They have jet ski, paddleboard, and kayak rental. There were also two guys demonstrating those water jetpacks, which fascinated all the kids. I didn't see anyone take them up on it though.

There's music at the pool but you really can't hear it from the beach.

It's quite close. Not really walking distance, but maybe a five or ten minute taxi ride, depending on traffic.

Great thanks. We dock at 8 and have an excursion from 9:30 - 10:30. We want to do a beach before we leave at 3 and want something close.

• 2 months later...