Papua New Guinea with Pacific Eden Trip Report

We sailed with P&O to PNG in October and found it hard to get a lot of information ahead of time about what to expect on this itinerary. First of all, it was an absolutely magical place to visit. We felt so fortunate to have been able to visit such an untouched area of the world and the islands visited were extremely welcoming and open to sharing their culture.

I wrote a really long post about our cruise with lots of information on each of the 4 ports we visited (Alotau, Kitava, Kiriwina and the Conflict Islands). I hope this will help others going on a similar cruise. Let me know if it isn't allowed to post a link.

If you have any questions about cruising to PNG, I would be happy to help. I can't say enough good things about what an interesting destination it was.

https://www.5losttogether.com/papua-new-guinea-cruise-tips-ports/

Thank you for a great review. I'm going on a Princess cruise in two weeks that includes Kitava and Kiriwina. Before I read your review I was wondering whether I would bother going ashore at either of these islands. Now I can't wait to get there and I reckon they'll probably be the highlight of my cruise.

Thanks again.

Thank you for your great review. I took a look at your blog and loved all your photos and what you had to say about each port.

How did you find P& O? I wish to go on a cruise next year in July for a week to 9 days, leaving from Sydney for my birthday and P& O is the only cruise line leaving from Australia at that time of year.

Thanks for your review

Maureen

Thank you for your great review. I took a look at your blog and loved all your photos and what you had to say about each port.

How did you find P& O? I wish to go on a cruise next year in July for a week to 9 days, leaving from Sydney for my birthday and P& O is the only cruise line leaving from Australia at that time of year.

Thanks for your review

Maureen

Hi Maureen, I will jump in here with my opinion of P & O. I did this cruise to PNG in September Unbelievable cruise and loved, loved PNG. The locals are wonderful people and love engaging with visitors to their islands. We went on Eden and she is truly a beautiful ship. I love the pantry (formerly buffet) and think this is a great concept to cutting down on norvo as the staff actually serve up your food opposed to self serve. The public areas on Eden have been done very tastefully and wonderful happy staff. Aria is basically same as Eden. Dawn & Jewell are older and great beauties also. Explorer, will be on her in July and think will be just as good as the rest of fleet. I do cruise mainly on Celebrity and like P & O for my little local get aways. Having done 40 cruises I think the only ship I truly didn't like was RCCL- Ovation of the Ships. On here earlier this year and not to my taste. A lot of wasted space and dining left a lot to be desired.

Hope this helps you out and don't get confused and flustered reading the reviews. You will notice a lot of people are quick to review when not 100% to their liking and not so quick to review when the cruise is perfect and above. Anyway just my thoughts and opinions. I do love my cruising and don't travel to be nitty picky with things. If you need any further info happy to help out. Happy sailing. Cheers :D

Hi Maureen,

We cruised years ago with Princess, RCCL, and Celebrity. I had read the poorer reviews of P&O and wasn't sure what to expect. We were really pleasantly surprised. I liked the Australian, modern feel of the ship and we found the food options and decor really great. I also liked that it is a smaller feeling ship. We are not 5 star, luxury travelers, so not overly picky.

I wouldn't hesitate at all in booking P&O. We ate most of our meals at the Waterfront dining room, but also liked the options at the Pantry (can be hard to find a seat at busy times). The entertainment was excellent and the lounge areas are very enjoyable. The staterooms are also larger on the Eden then many ships and the stewards were very attentive.

I am sure you will have a great cruise. Let me know if I can answer any other specific questions.

• 1 year later...

Also you mentioned in your blog that school supplies (books, stationary, pens, pencils, texters, etc).  ; shoe polish and sandpaperFish hooks and clothes,. Sports equipment like balls .

How did you choose to give these to and how did you give them out ? thanks

We didn't notice any mozzies on the islands in the day time.  We were on the ship of course overnight and didn't notice any there either.  

For the school supplies, we gave most of what we brought to the schools.  They will have a little stand set up accepting donations.  We also did give out some things to children we encountered as we walked around.  We didn't bring wood working supplies or fish hooks, but would next time we go.  There are so many people set up selling what they have made, so you could easily give them out as you are looking at their carvings.  

Have a wonderful trip!  

Thanks Dawn for reply, good to hear about the mozzies I got a ripper mozzie bite 3 weeks ago cruzin in Tonga, bit the only spot that had no spray, but so far no effects.

I have bought some sand paper , fish hooks and pens pencils etc, and some more Kina, will try and get to the schools to distribute the pens etc, thanks for your blog has lots of good info, cheers.