Most Convenient Airport to Manhattan Cruise Terminal

SoSem75

i’m considering taking one of the NCL cruises out of NYC, all of which leave from Manhattan, I think. When checking on flights, it looks like I have a good choice of daily flights from my city to LaGuardia, Newark and a few to JFK. I prefer to fly in the night before the cruise. Which airport would be the most convenient to the cruise terminal which would also be in an area with the more affordable hotel options?

LaGuardia Airport would be the closest to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, but Newark Airport would offer the best selection of lower priced hotels....if you are going to stay near the airport...

I absolutely agree. You have to look at the big picture of flight cost, hotel cost, and transportation cost to determine a plan that will work best for your needs and provide a good balance of time, money, and stress.

What is the exact date of your cruise? Two people? Bed size requirements? New York sightseeing objectives, if any? Can you manage your luggage on accessible public transit like train or airport bus plus cab?

I know it's not as convenient but I would look at all three airports because you might have a flight to JFK that is less expensive then the one to another airport thus offsetting the cost.

I keep an open mind.

As to where to stay I prefer staying in Manhattan even if it was for one night and within say a 20 minute drive of the port. I know 20 minutes might be shorter or longer depending on traffic.

Keith

I'd pick the airport with the cheapest non-stop flights

Not that simple. Transportation costs, both from airport to hotel and from hotel to cruise port, can vary widely depending on the location of both the airport and hotel. The cheapest flight might not be enough of a difference to cover an increases cost of transportation and/or hotel. You have to look at the total package. A flight that is a little more expensive but allows for cheaper transp/hotel could be the best value overall.

Not that simple. Transportation costs, both from airport to hotel and from hotel to cruise port, can vary widely depending on the location of both the airport and hotel. The cheapest flight might not be enough of a difference to cover an increases cost of transportation and/or hotel. You have to look at the total package. A flight that is a little more expensive but allows for cheaper transp/hotel could be the best value overall.

I agree. For us the cheapest was a non-stop flight to lga, staying at the airport Courtyard by Marriott (no longer open I think) and a cab ride from the hotel. Look at the whole package.