When to buy cruise

fldogmassage

IF the price of a DCL cruise is lowered before the penalty date (you can see the chart on their web site for the dates), you can contact them and they will match the new rate. However, this happens VERY rarely on DCL cruises. The normal situation is that the prices increase as the ship fills. You'll get the best price if you book as close to the day that the cruises are announced as possible.

It is impossible to predict how rapidly prices will increase. I've seen cruises where the price on embarkation day was the same as the initial announcement day, and I've seen cruises that increased in cost literally while I was holding on the phone for a DCL agent to make a booking (I had a question that needed to be answered before I could book, so had to wait on line). The norm is somewhere between those two, with steady price increases from the release date till penalty date.

If you are flexible in dates, you can wait and see if there are any *GT rates available for your cruise--these are typically released after the penalty date (although I've seen some in advance) and are usually about the same as day 1 rates were but they have significant restrictions. Do be sure to read all the restrictions before booking. The main ones are that it must be paid in full at the time of booking and there are no refunds for any reason (get travel insurance!)

DCL is not like other cruise lines--when they set a price, that is THE price. No TA can undercut that price or "hold" a block of cabins and sell them cheaper. They do not come up with a new "Sale" every month. If you see a TA advertising cheaper prices on DCL cruises, they are being deceptive--they are not including taxes, port charges, or something else in their advertised amount, and when you factor those in, it will be the same as on the honest sites. A TA can offer you some sort of incentive for booking--an onboard credit, coupon book, store card, or whatever.

Edited by moki'smommy

And, don't forget the "buying incentive" when actually on board. You can make a placeholder reservation and get 10% off your next cruise. There are certain blackout weeks but if you are remotely interested in cruising again it pays to book a placeholder while on board.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
Booking in advance seems to be the best. I have never seen special promotions with Disney like with the other cruise lines. Sometimes there is a military discount but very unpredictable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On a cruise that has not sold out, there may be military, FL resident, and restricted fare discounts. These are often priced about the same as a "day 1" booking. As above, they are unpredictable, and mostly for off season cruises, I have, on occasion, seen them prior to the penalty date, but not often. No, DCL does not do the "sale of the week" (or month, or just because) they way some other lines do.

Booking in advance seems to be the best. I have never seen special promotions with Disney like with the other cruise lines. Sometimes there is a military discount but very unpredictable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also, from what I've seen military discounted cruises are only 7 nights.

• 2 weeks later...

Booking for my May, 2019, EC 7day on the Fantasy started the 3rd week of November, 2017. I booked at the initial pricing on 01/06/2018. The prices for adults (children are still the same) started inching up on 01/25/2018. Not much for a 4B, but still on the way up, has increased $42pp. So definitely with DCL you want to book as soon as itinerary opens up.

Pooh

Booking for my May, 2019, EC 7day on the Fantasy started the 3rd week of November, 2017. I booked at the initial pricing on 01/06/2018. The prices for adults (children are still the same) started inching up on 01/25/2018. Not much for a 4B, but still on the way up, has increased $42pp. So definitely with DCL you want to book as soon as itinerary opens up.

Pooh

And this is typical. Most increases are slow but continue as the ship fills. One the other end, we once saw a cruise increase $800 in 30 minutes during the first booking day!

Does anybody have information about the Concierge category, especially the two-bedroom on the Magic? It's so very pricey, and I think there are only two onboard the ship. Am I interpreting that correctly, and what's your experience with the pricing and how quickly they sell out?