I Belize in MAGIC! MITSUGIRLY revisits the Western Route. My Novel.

mitsugirly

Kim,

Awesome review!! I've read a number of your reviews over the years and always enjoy them. We've cruised the western route quite a few times, and I enjoy comparing our experiences/excursions to yours. Chankanaab is our favorite place to snorkel so far.

Also, the Breeze is our favorite Carnival ship too. We've cruised the Vista but still prefer the Breeze. I can't wait until it homeports in Port Canaveral.

Take care and thanks again for the review.

Is the Breeze coming to Port Canaveral? My fav ship in my home port would be awesome!

Hello. I really enjoyed following your review. It caught my attention as we will be on the Magic in March and will be doing the same port of calls as you did. I have one question for you as you seem to be quite the snorkeling expert. We will be traveling with our 7 yr old Granddaughter. This will be her 3 time cruising with us. I would like to introduce her to snorkeling, or should I say all of us as my husband and I have never done this either. I see a lot of excursions that offer this, but I am looking for casual, shallow water with some instruction. We are booked at Little French Key in Roatan, Also my husband and friend are going fishing in Costa Maya, and we are doing cave and zoo in Belize. This only leaves open Cozumel and possibly Costa Maya as it is a short excursion for the guys, but our lady friend is not a water baby, so she would not enjoy the snorkeling experience. Would you have suggestions as to where we should try this experience? I do not care about the $ end of it, but more important is the location, and experience. My granddaughter is not a strong swimmer, but she is getting better at it. I used to be, but am more cautious at this point in my life.

Thanks so much for your detailed reviews, I've been reading them for days!! I'm heading to Cozumel with my husband and two boys (ages 7 and 9) in February... My husband would like to snorkel, I myself like the pool a bit more, and the kiddos just want to PLAY! We're trying to decide between Chankanaab, Paradise, or Playa Mia. You've been to them all - Wondering which one you would choose? :*:*:*

Thank you for taking the time to write these wonderful reviews and all of the pictures! I feel like I was there! I rarely post but have read your reviews (and taken notes) and have gone to some of the port places you have recommended and had a great time! I look forward to reading more of your reviews!

Thank you for taking the time to write these wonderful reviews and all of the pictures! I feel like I was there! I rarely post but have read your reviews (and taken notes) and have gone to some of the port places you have recommended and had a great time! I look forward to reading more of your reviews!

Aww, thanks so much. I appreciate the kind words and glad they are helpful and you have enjoyed some of the places.

Our next cruise will be in 68 days :D

Hi Mitsugirly,

It's always great to check out your reviews. This time I was only looking at the Rendezvous Caye snorkel, so I apologize if you answered this question already in this review. I wondered what kind of underwater camera you use, and if you adjust your color, etc. before posting? You always have such awesome pictures! Thank you for sharing. I still haven't mastered actually knowing what I'm getting in my picture. I'm usually just trying to stay in one place long enough to snap a picture before my subject swims away. Any tips?

Thanks,

Sandy

Hi Mitsugirly,

It's always great to check out your reviews. This time I was only looking at the Rendezvous Caye snorkel, so I apologize if you answered this question already in this review. I wondered what kind of underwater camera you use, and if you adjust your color, etc. before posting? You always have such awesome pictures! Thank you for sharing. I still haven't mastered actually knowing what I'm getting in my picture. I'm usually just trying to stay in one place long enough to snap a picture before my subject swims away. Any tips?

Thanks,

Sandy

Hi Sandy. I use all Olympus Tough cameras. I have a 620, 803, and the TG4...which is my favorite. The TG4 is my favorite because they made it so you can add lens to it (like a DSLR camera). I have a fish eye. The fish eye seems to bring out the colors and make them a little deeper than without.

But, there are several types of settings on the camera that will make the pictures vivid, tilt shift, pop and so on. I am always playing around with them.

The other nice thing about the TG4 is it has several different underwater settings on it like a motion one that...if your subject is moving quickly, you'll be able to capture it without a blur. Also, it has a macro underwater feature, which is nice.

One thing I have learned after all these years using these cameras is that if you are in motion (either riding in a car and snapping pictures or walking and snapping) if you put the setting on the "sports" mode, you won't get the blur.

When I pick the pictures I want to share and put my name stamp on it, I do an "action" in PS that saves it for web, which sharpens it. When you save pictures and every time you do something and save it, it loses the sharpness quality of it. So by actually saving for web in PS, this brings it back and makes it crisper if that makes sense. Just a little trick my instructor taught me years ago when I took a photography class.

Other than that, I take A LOT of pictures hoping for that one "good" one. I may take 5 pictures of the same thing...all on a different setting until I get home and see which I like best. Or if the subject is moving, such as fish, I just keep snapping and hopefully I'll get a fishes full body in the picture or looking at me versus in reversing direction in the middle of my shot and all you see is a curved blob in the picture.

Framing is another way to make your pictures/subject look better. I have been known to get on my hands and knees or crawl under a bush to frame a beautiful ocean scene with a greenery around it. I did a review once (can't remember the ship we were on) that we went over to Pinel Island in St Maarten and I did just that...crawled in this unlikely place to take a picture and then I took a picture of what it looked like (where I crawled at) to show how I did things like that. Also, always try to remember the rule of thirds when taking pictures. Look it up and it will give you ideas on how to frame the perfect picture. These are all things I learned in photography class (and more of course) because I'm a photography junkie. The Olympus will also allow you to use the P and A setting, just like a DSLR. :D

This information is great! I just got the TG5 for Christmas and I am looking forward to using it on my Western cruise on the Magic next month. I'll be sure to take note of these tips!

Hi Sandy. I use all Olympus Tough cameras. I have a 620, 803, and the TG4...which is my favorite. The TG4 is my favorite because they made it so you can add lens to it (like a DSLR camera). I have a fish eye. The fish eye seems to bring out the colors and make them a little deeper than without.

But, there are several types of settings on the camera that will make the pictures vivid, tilt shift, pop and so on. I am always playing around with them.

The other nice thing about the TG4 is it has several different underwater settings on it like a motion one that...if your subject is moving quickly, you'll be able to capture it without a blur. Also, it has a macro underwater feature, which is nice.

One thing I have learned after all these years using these cameras is that if you are in motion (either riding in a car and snapping pictures or walking and snapping) if you put the setting on the "sports" mode, you won't get the blur.

When I pick the pictures I want to share and put my name stamp on it, I do an "action" in PS that saves it for web, which sharpens it. When you save pictures and every time you do something and save it, it loses the sharpness quality of it. So by actually saving for web in PS, this brings it back and makes it crisper if that makes sense. Just a little trick my instructor taught me years ago when I took a photography class.

Other than that, I take A LOT of pictures hoping for that one "good" one. I may take 5 pictures of the same thing...all on a different setting until I get home and see which I like best. Or if the subject is moving, such as fish, I just keep snapping and hopefully I'll get a fishes full body in the picture or looking at me versus in reversing direction in the middle of my shot and all you see is a curved blob in the picture.

Framing is another way to make your pictures/subject look better. I have been known to get on my hands and knees or crawl under a bush to frame a beautiful ocean scene with a greenery around it. I did a review once (can't remember the ship we were on) that we went over to Pinel Island in St Maarten and I did just that...crawled in this unlikely place to take a picture and then I took a picture of what it looked like (where I crawled at) to show how I did things like that. Also, always try to remember the rule of thirds when taking pictures. Look it up and it will give you ideas on how to frame the perfect picture. These are all things I learned in photography class (and more of course) because I'm a photography junkie. The Olympus will also allow you to use the P and A setting, just like a DSLR. :D

I love your reviews so much! I recently stumbled upon them and have been doing the equivalent of binge-watching them ( binge-reading??).

Anyway I really need an answer to the following question. How does one “ pronounce” your user name?

Are you:

*MIT-su-girly?

*Mi-T.S.U.-girly ( that’s the one I kind of have been using in my head)

*mitsu-girly?

Something else?

And what the heck does it mean?

Inquiring minds ( or at least this one) are dying to know!!

And thanks for all your hard work!

I love your reviews so much! I recently stumbled upon them and have been doing the equivalent of binge-watching them ( binge-reading??).

Anyway I really need an answer to the following question. How does one “ pronounce” your user name?

Are you:

*MIT-su-girly?

*Mi-tsu-girly ( that’s the one I kind of have been using in my head)

*mitsu-girly?

Something else?

And what the heck does it mean?

Inquiring minds ( or at least this one) are dying to know!!

And thanks for all your hard work!

Aww thanks for the comment and glad you are enjoying them enough to binge-read. :D

MITSU-girly....As in Mitsubishi the car shortened to mitsu and I'm a girl extended to girly. :p I drove a mitsubishi eclipse when I first met my husband (actually that's what caused us to meet when he chased me down and followed me in his and ask me to race him). :') So I went by that name for years. I was promoted to Audi girl now, but can't really change my name on here after all these years. ;)

Believe it or not, plenty of people have asked me (on here) about the name....and of course how to pronounce Sakari's name...which is just like it's spelled... SA-KAR-I (or ee)

Aww thanks for the comment and glad you are enjoying them enough to binge-read. :D

MITSU-girly....As in Mitsubishi the car shortened to mitsu and I'm a girl extended to girly. :p I drove a mitsubishi eclipse when I first met my husband (actually that's what caused us to meet when he chased me down and followed me in his and ask me to race him). :') So I went by that name for years. I was promoted to Audi girl now, but can't really change my name on here after all these years. ;)

Believe it or not, plenty of people have asked me (on here) about the name....and of course how to pronounce Sakari's name...which is just like it's spelled... SA-KAR-I (or ee)

Thank you!!! I am literally reading all your old reviews and they are among the best written on cc. Your family is adorable! I can’t believe that in addition to Sakari ( beautiful girl, beautiful name ) you have adult kids. You look way too young!

I love me a Mitsugirly review - I go back and read the old ones when I get the No-Cruise Blues. You and TheDougOut are my imaginary cruise buddies.

Thanks for the detailed port posts especially - we are doing the same itinerary on NCL this April, and your review helped me feel certain that I chose good excursions for us in Cozumel and Costa Maya. (I just had a spinal fusion in December and DH refuses to consider doing anything remotely jarring like ziplining or hiking or deep sea fishing, so of course I have booked a tour of Mayan ruins. But I took pity on him in Cozumel - it's just cooking our own lunch and hanging out at the beach at Playa Mia.) He has a pathological fear of missing the ship, so most of the time I book through the cruise line, but we will use Victor Bodden for Roatan and I want to snorkel. (He hates water, so he wants to . . bar, I guess.) I am planning to do the Banarama/West End snorkel, so we shall see.

This NCL girl has never been on Carnival, and the colors . . . your shots were awesome, but I think the colors might give me a migraine!

Sakari is as talented as she is stunning, and we feel like we've watched her "grow up" - congratulations to her (and you guys) on the diving cert and the art school!

but we will use Victor Bodden for Roatan and I want to snorkel. (He hates water, so he wants to . . bar, I guess.) I am planning to do the Banarama/West End snorkel, so we shall see.

We toured with Bodden two years ago and are planning to again this year. I would make one suggestion and that is to have your driver take you to Paradise Beach instead (two doors down, same beach). It was the same price ($10) for either place, but Paradise has a wonderful large pool with shaded relaxing area for your husband. Unless he is just planning on sitting at the bar the whole time, I would definitely be more comfortable at Paradise.

20160807_110724.jpg.fdfa8f72b45fa3bd2738d615c4319f70.jpg

20160807_110743.jpg.35152170ace65fb2640b4284e0fe2d93.jpg

Kim, by chance do you have any pictures of the Wheel of Fortune machines ? Thanks !

Angela

It's funny you mentioned this...I never take pictures of the Wheel of Fortune machines because they are always situated on the end cap of a row of machines and all alone. So, I never snap a picture of it for some reason. I bet I remember next time. ;p

Another Great Review, AWESOME pictures like always

Thanks so much.

Thank you!!! I am literally reading all your old reviews and they are among the best written on cc. Your family is adorable! I can’t believe that in addition to Sakari ( beautiful girl, beautiful name ) you have adult kids. You look way too young!

Aww, thank you so much. That means a lot to me. I just like to have fun with them. ....and now I'm blushing at the comment of having older children. You are too kind. :*

I love me a Mitsugirly review - I go back and read the old ones when I get the No-Cruise Blues. You and TheDougOut are my imaginary cruise buddies.

Thanks for the detailed port posts especially - we are doing the same itinerary on NCL this April, and your review helped me feel certain that I chose good excursions for us in Cozumel and Costa Maya. (I just had a spinal fusion in December and DH refuses to consider doing anything remotely jarring like ziplining or hiking or deep sea fishing, so of course I have booked a tour of Mayan ruins. But I took pity on him in Cozumel - it's just cooking our own lunch and hanging out at the beach at Playa Mia.) He has a pathological fear of missing the ship, so most of the time I book through the cruise line, but we will use Victor Bodden for Roatan and I want to snorkel. (He hates water, so he wants to . . bar, I guess.) I am planning to do the Banarama/West End snorkel, so we shall see.

This NCL girl has never been on Carnival, and the colors . . . your shots were awesome, but I think the colors might give me a migraine!

Sakari is as talented as she is stunning, and we feel like we've watched her "grow up" - congratulations to her (and you guys) on the diving cert and the art school!

What a nice compliment. I haven't heard of the TheDougOut. I'll have to look that one up.

I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise. I would have really loved to have spent some time in the water at West End, but this will be the second time the weather did not really cooperate with us. Maybe the third times a charm...we'll see. I hope you have better luck.

It's funny you mentioned this...I never take pictures of the Wheel of Fortune machines because they are always situated on the end cap of a row of machines and all alone. So, I never snap a picture of it for some reason. I bet I remember next time. ;p
LOL, I thought for sure you would have some in your thousands of pictures ! I do have another question ... is there a link to your smugmug pictures where I can see the FunTimes pictures in higher resolution ? I really appreciate your review, we're heading on this same ship/itinerary soon and it is ALWAYS great to read your take on things. Esp good to know about Blue Kay, we're planning to go there too.