Carnival and Dominica

BillOh

Ok, I'm a Royal Cruiser, I could have used the search function, or I could have revived an old thread, but thought I would just start a new thread and see if i can get any information in between the flames ;)

600 days ago I booked a cruise going to 3 new islands. One of which was Dominica. In October, Royal changed our stop in Dominica to Martinique. I probably would have preferred Dominica, with what little knowledge I have of both, but I haven't been to either Island. I see where Fascination, which cruises at the same time as our cruise is still going to Dominica as far as those passengers know. Any news on that. Has any Carnival ship been there since 1/1/18? When is the next one due to arrive that hasn't rescheduled?

I'm sure it storm related, but for what it is worth, Martinique is better IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Its definitely storm related, I've never been to either, so I'll have a good time either way, just have to book another cruise when Dominica returns.

Dominica is a beautiful unspoiled country. A large percentage is set aside as National Park. The hurricane decimated the island and it will take a while to get past it. There’s not a lot else to do except enjoy nature, so I would visit Martinique if that’s the other choice. There’s interesting history of the volcanic eruption among other things. You get a good taste of Creole culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are headed to Dominica on Fascination in August. I have been twice before.

Last time I did a hike to the Boiling Lake with two friends and a private guide. We barely had enough time to do it.

I love this island. It is the most beautiful in the Caribbean.

We have been watching the Dominica sites since the hurricane. People got hurt badly and the tourism is much needed. I expect the port will not be skipped.

Dominica was a total surprise to me on our Journeys Cruise a few years ago. I didn't know much about it, and it turned out to the be highlight of that cruise. Just beautiful, lush and vibrant. The Nature Island. And it certainly lived up to that name. My heart was broken when I saw the pics of streets that I had wandered just littered with trees and debris. I too am following the rebuilding. It is an island I hope to repeat visit in my lifetime.

I was just looking at the ship tours offered on our Fascination cruise (not that I would ever book one, but they are good for ideas!)

Dominica had quite a few tours listed. This was not the case earlier... there was nothing listed for that port. It looks like the island is back in business.

• 2 months later...

In Martinique we were told many people have left Dominica for other islands including Martinique because the damage is devastating.

Dominica is not nearly as built up as other islands, which has made us more beautiful, but they lack the manpower and materials to get back in shape quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since I started this thread, the Fascination roll call told me they are going to Antigua instead. Which that has been our option!

Same happened to me. While it could have been worse, I was actually looking forward to Dominica the most. Oh well..

A number of years ago (don't remember how many), Dominica was hit by a hurricane. In January 2017, when I had a port stop there, we were told that much of that hurricane damaged had never been repaired and that many roads were still unusable (and that was obvious on our excursion).

Dominica was hard hit again last fall. Damage from the recent storm would have just added to the unrepaired damage from previous storms.

I can not see any cruise ship stopping there in the future.

This would also be a good port to take a ship's excursion because of the road conditions. On our cruise, several passengers did private tours and due to road conditions, did not make it back to the ship.

The passengers rejoined us in Martinique the next day. Both tour groups left behind had similar tales of bad roads and other delays.

• 1 month later...
Carnival's website shows the first call to Dominica is July 8. Hope that call goes well, since we are going there the following month.

Thanks, I'll watch for that, Martinique was ok, I can say I've been there. Sure wish we had gone to Antigua.

A number of years ago (don't remember how many), Dominica was hit by a hurricane. In January 2017, when I had a port stop there, we were told that much of that hurricane damaged had never been repaired and that many roads were still unusable (and that was obvious on our excursion).

Dominica was hard hit again last fall. Damage from the recent storm would have just added to the unrepaired damage from previous storms.

I can not see any cruise ship stopping there in the future.

This would also be a good port to take a ship's excursion because of the road conditions. On our cruise, several passengers did private tours and due to road conditions, did not make it back to the ship.

The passengers rejoined us in Martinique the next day. Both tour groups left behind had similar tales of bad roads and other delays.

Thanks for that insight.

Because Dominica is hilly and mountainous, rain damage from hurricanes is frighteningly devastating. Roads did get washed away from the torrents of water raging downhill.

I've been to Dominica about 5 times, and have always enjoyed the isle for it's natural beauty. Waterfalls, sulpher springs, and river tubing come to mind when I recall the island.

I have only been to Martinique 3X, I had 1 lousy long excursion to a south beach where the RT bus was longer than the time at a mediocre beach, did a very nice snorkel tour to the Bat Cave and several small beaches with Celebrity, and last time just walked around the town and had brunch in a little French cafe. I'm told it's easier to get around Martinique by the water ferries next to the dock than by land.

Neither island is your typical cruise port. There is no port side cruise ship built shopping mall or man made beach within sight of the ship. The beauty is in the natural resources. If you appreciate Nature, you'll love these isles. Do use Euros or major credit cards in Martinique and maybe learn a little French to make your visit there more enjoyable.