Question re: 2nd bed in Dawn Class suites SJ, SD, SE, SF

dos equis

Hi guys. I tried searching for this but it's such a broad question I couldn't really find the answer I'm looking for.

We'll be on the Dawn and are considering upgrading to one of the following categories: SJ, SD, SE, SF (any of the single-room suites). Can someone please let me know what the 2nd bed (couch) is like in those rooms? Does it fold out like a pull-out sofa, or is it actually a twin bed? Is it comfortable? Does anyone have pictures of any of these suites on the Dawn or Star with the 2nd bed made up?

Thanks so much for any help. Just want to make sure the bed for the 3rd person isn't way worse/less comfortable than the main bed.

Edited by dos equis
typo

Hi guys. I tried searching for this but it's such a broad question I couldn't really find the answer I'm looking for.

We'll be on the Dawn and are considering upgrading to one of the following categories: SJ, SD, SE, SF (any of the single-room suites). Can someone please let me know what the 2nd bed (couch) is like in those rooms? Does it fold out like a pull-out sofa, or is it actually a twin bed? Is it comfortable? Does anyone have pictures of any of these suites on the Dawn or Star with the 2nd bed made up?

Thanks so much for any help. Just want to make sure the bed for the 3rd person isn't way worse/less comfortable than the main bed.

The SJ bed is a large fold out couch and one that drops down from the wall. They are all WAY worse than the main bed.

We stayed in a suite on deck 12..Family suite with large balcony. We (husband and i) our 12 year old daughter AND my in laws. We gave the old people the big bed and my husband and I slept on the pull out couch and our daughter on the pull down bed. We all slept fine. My daughter was actually the one that was the least comfortable. She said the bed wasn't great but was better than a cot..lol. With the 2 beds down and out..it sure made the room a lot smaller...so as soon as you get up..you'll want to hide them away again. Our room guy was awesome and usually did this quite quickly. My husband and I actually fell asleep one night out on the balcony..there are 2 nice loungers out there and we probably would have slept through the night if it wasn't for the mist.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Forums mobile app

Thanks. Are you saying the SJ has 3 beds all together then?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

It depends. There are SJ cabins with 3 beds, but not all of them do. You’ll want to check the key on the deck plans. I sailed on Dawn in an SJ with my mom and sister in law, and we each had our own beds. I thought the Murphy bed I slept in was perfectly comfy, and my sis in law didn’t have any complaints about the fold out couch. And we had the best views as our beds were right by the wall of windows. :)

It depends. There are SJ cabins with 3 beds, but not all of them do. You’ll want to check the key on the deck plans. I sailed on Dawn in an SJ with my mom and sister in law, and we each had our own beds. I thought the Murphy bed I slept in was perfectly comfy, and my sis in law didn’t have any complaints about the fold out couch. And we had the best views as our beds were right by the wall of windows. :)
Thanks for that feedback! We have 3 adult females as well and I just don't want one of us to be uncomfortable all week.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

My friend and I were in an SE suite on the Dawn; the fold out bed was AWFUL. It was about 2 inches thick and flat on the floor. Awful to get in to, awful to get out of, hard as a rock. After the second night he brought me an egg crate for it; it helped a little but still pretty awful.

A picture says it all most of the time.

Link to DAWN SJ class cabin - SD same with balcony:

https://www.ncl.com/booking-quote?guestCount=2&itineraryCode=DAWN7QUESYNHALSJBBHBBOS&shipCode=DAWN&sailMonths=4294953370&selectedStateroomMeta=SUITE&voyageId=11779928&activeStep=1&activePanel=3&sailDate=2018-10-05

Look down the menu for the Family Suite and notice the King bed left center and in the corner right center

is the couch that folds out to sleep two rather cramped. Where the table extreme right in the image is - the

table had to be moved aside with the chairs for the Murphy bed to drop down out of the wall. The Murphy bed

is a Full size bed and very comfortable. The King bed will sleep two very comfortably but due to an intimate

situation between sleeping partners may not be used that way. This is the arrangement of the suites on deck 12.

The two cabins 12032 and 12532 adjacent to the Library - these are handicap cabins.

The two cabins forward of those 12030 and 12530 have a smaller balcony and does not have the 3rd bed option.

The SE and SF class suites are either Aft or forward on decks 9 or 10 and not as spacious.

The SC 2 bedroom Family suites with balcony are on deck 11 - the 2nd bedroom is a conversion of the living room.

NOTE: If you sign on for the Roll Call on your cruise take the opportunity to also do a Cabin Crawl to see

the cabin arrangements that maybe of interest on your next cruise.

I've slept in the Murphy bed in SJ suites on the Dawn 4-5 times and found it perfectly comfortable each time. Comfortable enough that I did not take roommates' offer to switch beds halfway through the cruise. I like being by the floor to ceiling windows at sunrise!

My niece recently traveled on the Dawn in the SJ suite and felt the same way -- Murphy bed was good!

I haven't heard good things about fold out couches on any ship for anybody over toddler age.

We have a SD booked on the Dawn w 3 ladies- we all want our own bed. What options besides the egg crate can be used to make the pull out sofa more comfy?\

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You might see if the cabin steward can get a mattress and put it on top of the folded out couch leaving it

be that way during the day or disassemble and put back at night.

Other than that if the egg crate foam doesn't work not much else can be done but to bring your own sleeping bag

and sleep where ever you can set it up - I know dumb idea but I am trying to look for alternatives.

Oh you could get another cabin on the ship - adjacent suite or other cabin several decks away but obviously

that is not a suiteable suitable solution.

That King Bed is huge and could easily sleep 2 but there will price to pay over who gets the sheets and covers. LOL ! or maybe not so much LOL !

Ask if a rollaway is an option.

Having been on the STAR and the DAWN I have not seen a roll-away bed.

Obviously they don't fit into a non-suite cabin and me thinks that having

a roll-away bed would be tinkering with the occupancy mechanics of the

number of persons authorized to be in the suite cabin.

I am an 800# gorilla give me some luggage to toss about ! LOL !

That being noted in the deck 12 suites there is the King Bed (2 persons

very comfortable) the fold out couch (2 persons * not terribly comfortable)

and the Murphy bed (1 person ** I don't know how NCL expects to get

a 2nd person in bed here - it is no more larger than a twin)

So this is a Family Suite - must have children (small wee ones) in

the equation of bedding.

But the suite cabin is supposed to sleep 6 - what does NCL do import

a hammock - ah ha - the roll-away bed trick. With all dem beds in a

cabin must be set up for a harem wall-to-wall beds.

I would just as soon toss a mattress on top of the couch bed.

And the pity the poor fellow - the cabin steward constantly setting up

and taking down the bedding arrangements.

"Solutions are not us" begs an answer !

I got it - bring in a plywood board* and after sleeping on that you

will be prepped for the SPA treatment !

* Optional nails in the plywood board (bed of nails) !

I am leaving the Cruise Director needs a straight man for his show !