Bluff Cove or Gypsy Cove in the Falklands?

emmak8

Decided that Volunteer Point in a 4x4 not OK for someone with back problems. Also not eager for a 7 hour trip.

So now the question is whether to do the Bluff Cove tour ( 3 hours $189pp.) with Princess or the Gypsy Cove shuttle ($20pp) on our own with Penguin Tours. Is anyone familiar with either of these places? The ship's tours in South America seem quite expensive. Do you get what you pay for??

• 2 weeks later...

We passed on Volunteer Point for similar reasons. Gypsy Cove is okay as a filler of time in Port Stanley, but there weren't that many penguins there - maybe 50 were visible to us. We did go rather late in the season in mid-March, but I don't think there are many penguins there even in the heart of the season.

I would agree with you that the ship's tours are expensive, but you can certainly book identical independent tours for less. Or, do like we did and rent a car. Most penguin tours are nothing more than transportation anyway - the "guide" isn't contributing much to the experience.

Most penguin tours are nothing more than transportation anyway - the "guide" isn't contributing much to the experience.

While it obviously depends on the guide, I would have to disagree with that comment in general. We had a wonderful guide when we toured with Patrick Watts last year. We talked the entire way to and from Volunteer Point about life in the Falklands, the war, wildlife, her family, etc. She was friendly and informative. We talked with others who were on that excursion with Patrick Watts and with Estancia and all were impressed with their guides.

Decided that Volunteer Point in a 4x4 not OK for someone with back problems. Also not eager for a 7 hour trip.

So now the question is whether to do the Bluff Cove tour ( 3 hours $189pp.) with Princess or the Gypsy Cove shuttle ($20pp) on our own with Penguin Tours. Is anyone familiar with either of these places? The ship's tours in South America seem quite expensive. Do you get what you pay for??

We took the Princess tour to Bluff Cove on a rainy morning several years ago, and I also went to Gypsy Cove (walking part of the way) in the afternoon.

The species of penguins normally seen at the two areas are different -- at Bluff Cove, many Gentoo Penguins and a few of the larger King Penguins, vs. Magellanic Penguins at Gypsy Cove. For anyone specifically interested in birds, various species of seabirds, geese, ducks, etc., can be seen at either site, but you would probably see a greater variety at Bluff Cove.

The trip to Bluff Cove was much longer and (for part of the route) rougher, but for us was a highlight of the cruise. In addition to the Gentoo and King Penguins and other birds, it was interesting and sobering to see (and hear the guide's commentary about) some of the areas that were in the news during the 1982 Falklands war. The Bluff Cove tour involved easy travel by small bus from Stanley to a transfer point, and then some seriously off road travel in a group of 4x4s through boggy terrain. Though I had had neck issues in years prior to that tour, we wanted to see the area and the birds, including at least a few King Penguins, and decided to book the Bluff Cove tour. As it turned out, the rough travel did not cause any problems for me -- but "YMMV". I can understand how the 4x4 part of the trip might be an issue for some with more acute neck or back trouble.

For any tour in the Falklands (or southern South America), be prepared for the possibility of wet, windy and cool weather. You may be lucky and have good weather, but it would be really unfortunate to travel that far and then miss seeing many of the sights because of inclement weather!

John

I