Need Help Finding an Alaska Cruise Suitable for a Boy with MS

18alaska

Just joined and no idea how to start a thread but found this one and it looks to be very helpful for what I am looking for. Our Christmas present this year from my mom and dad is an Alaskan cruise and I want to help him make it special. He has MS and is bound to a wheelchair. Can EVERYONE help us find the best 7 day cruise line from either Seattle or Vancouver and offer suggestions for excursions that he can enjoy? Thank you so much. Happy New Year!

Just joined and no idea how to start a thread but found this one and it looks to be very helpful for what I am looking for. Our Christmas present this year from my mom and dad is an Alaskan cruise and I want to help him make it special. He has MS and is bound to a wheelchair. Can EVERYONE help us find the best 7 day cruise line from either Seattle or Vancouver and offer suggestions for excursions that he can enjoy? Thank you so much. Happy New Year!

Highjacking a thread is against Cruise Critic's policy. If you go to the home page of the Disabled Forum and scroll to the bottom you will see a blue link that say NEW THREAD jut click on that. In the meantim I have sent message to the moderator that this post should be a seperate thread. Hopefully they'll correct it.,

Highjacking a thread is against Cruise Critic's policy. If you go to the home page of the Disabled Forum and scroll to the bottom you will see a blue link that say NEW THREAD jut click on that. In the meantim I have sent message to the moderator that this post should be a seperate thread. Hopefully they'll correct it.,

The original post, which was posted to another unrelated thread has been pulled out and made the starter post for this thread.

Suggest you do a search on the Disabled Forum as there's been much information prevously posted .

If there's specific question related to traveling with MS ( i.e. traveling with a DMD) I'd be more than happy to assist you as also have MS. Cruise regularly and 3 times to Alaska.

If you feel comfortable about disclosing his age, that information may be helpful in determing what cruiseline would be a better fit. It would be helpful to know you prefer a roundtrip the same port r and whether or not GlacierBay is on your bucket list. Princess and Holland America are the only two cruise lines that presently are licensed to enter Glacier Bay.

You will definietly need a fully accessible cabin. Carnival and Holland America have serveral classifications of accessible cabins. Only a fully accessible cabin on Carnival and Holland America will work for you. Alaska cruises are very popular with the disabled and accessible cabins book very fast. WIth Alaska cruises you pretty much need to book the miniute the cruise itinerary is published which is on average 1-2 years out.

Regarding accessible excursions you'll have to work directly with the Special Needs Department of which ever cruise line selected to find out what if any excursions are available in which the vehicle has a lift. In Skagway the White Pass Train is wheelchair accessible. That tour books very fast as it has limited space for wheelchairs.