EWR to Manhattan Cruise Terminal

cat4563

My Husband and I are cruising on Carnival Horizon September 13, 2018 out of the Manhattan cruise terminal. We have a direct flight from Fort Wayne, IN arriving into EWR at 7:55am on the 13th. What is the best way to get to the cruise terminal? Carnival's shuttle service is $31 pp but does not start till 11:00. That seems like a long time to sit at the airport. Though I know if we get to the port much sooner then 11:00 we will just end up sitting around there. Neither one of us likes Uber and we are not seasoned at public transit either. I was kind of looking at "Go Airlink NYC" ($24pp), but most of the boards are saying Share Rides are not a good idea. We will probably have two carry ons and one checked bag total. Any thoughts?

My Husband and I are cruising on Carnival Horizon September 13, 2018 out of the Manhattan cruise terminal. We have a direct flight from Fort Wayne, IN arriving into EWR at 7:55am on the 13th. What is the best way to get to the cruise terminal? Carnival's shuttle service is $31 pp but does not start till 11:00. That seems like a long time to sit at the airport. Though I know if we get to the port much sooner then 11:00 we will just end up sitting around there. Neither one of us likes Uber and we are not seasoned at public transit either. I was kind of looking at "Go Airlink NYC" ($24pp), but most of the boards are saying Share Rides are not a good idea. We will probably have two carry ons and one checked bag total. Any thoughts?

You arrive on a weekday morning towards the end of rush hour. Car Service will run $80-100+.

Express bus to New York Port Authority is $17/pp. You would take a cab for $10-15 from there to the cruise terminal. NJ Transit train to New York Penn Station plus cab to the cruise terminal is $13/pp. plus $10-15.

https://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-public-transportation.html

Neither one of us likes Uber and we are not seasoned at public transit either.

Any particular reason you don't like Uber?

Beyond that, if you don't want to use Uber and you don't want to use public transit, your options are either a cab or a private car service. Cab will generally be cheaper but a car service will be much nicer.

You arrive on a weekday morning towards the end of rush hour. Car Service will run $80-100+.

Express bus to New York Port Authority is $17/pp. You would take a cab for $10-15 from there to the cruise terminal. NJ Transit train to New York Penn Station plus cab to the cruise terminal is $13/pp. plus $10-15.

https://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-public-transportation.html

NJ Transit is a good way to go, but you have to read the info on the site that was linked. There is a train station at the airport accessible via a monorail that requires a separate fare ($3 pp?). Many people use it every day.

If you take a cab to the terminal, you have a choice that can save some money. If you need to be dropped off at the door to the terminal itself, the cab must drive a few blocks north of Pier 88 and then make a u-turn back into the terminal, all with the meter running. This isn't a taxi scam, it's how the roads are set up. The alternative is to be dropped off across the street from the terminal and lug your stuff over. It's a busy street with limited crossings, so evaluate the situation either way.

If you take a cab from the airport you will be charged for the meter plus the tolls for crossing the Hudson. Encouraging, right?

You don’t need Uber at Penn Station. Either exit if using NJ Transit or walk down the block using the bus to the Eighth Avenue side near Madison Square Garden entrance. There is large cab stand with many yellow medallion taxis waiting. These cabs are metered so if there is traffic it might be more than average.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NJ Transit is a good way to go, but you have to read the info on the site that was linked. There is a train station at the airport accessible via a monorail that requires a separate fare ($3 pp?). Many people use it every day.

There is no extra fee to get from the airport to the NJ transit station. You just hop on the airtran take it to the last stop which is the NJ transit station. You will need to buy a ticket for the NJ train before you can get to the platform though. (and keep the ticket handy as the conductor on the train will need it collect it.

Just hop on the NJ transit. Get on it at the EWR station and go towards NYC. Get off at the last stop (NY Penn Station) and go upstairs and grab a cab. You don't have much luggage (and you won't be the only one with luggage on the train) and assuming you don't have any mobility issues (you didn't mention any) this is probably the easiest. You can just buy your train tickets at the airport before you get on the airtran. I always just buy a R/T ticket (it spits out 2 tickets 1 each way) and be done with it. There is no date or time on them and on the way back you just get back to Penn Station and wait for a train back to EWR (follow the signs) and away you go. It is really easy. Now if you had 6 people and 42 suitcases then it would be different, but from what you have stated, this looks like the easiest. The NY/NU public transportation system (trains anyway) are really easy and nothing to be concerned with.

There is no extra fee to get from the airport to the NJ transit station. You just hop on the airtran take it to the last stop which is the NJ transit station. You will need to buy a ticket for the NJ train before you can get to the platform though. (and keep the ticket handy as the conductor on the train will need it collect it.

The "extra fee" is $5.50/pp and it's bundled into the train fares from Newark Airport Station when you actually buy the train ticket from the machine.

Examples (* includes the $5.50 extra fee)

Newark Penn Station to NY Penn Station - $5.25

Newark Airport Station to NY Penn Station - $13*

Elizabeth to NY Penn Station - $7.25

Elizabeth to Newark Airport - $8.50*

The "extra fee" is $5.50/pp and it's bundled into the train fares from Newark Airport Station when you actually buy the train ticket from the machine.

Examples (* includes the $5.50 extra fee)

Newark Penn Station to NY Penn Station - $5.25

Newark Airport Station to NY Penn Station - $13*

Elizabeth to NY Penn Station - $7.25

Elizabeth to Newark Airport - $8.50*

You can also take Amtrak if you want to pay the higher fare (about $37) but you can get a redcap in Penn Station. Similar to the numbers above, the fare from the airport is about $5 more than from downtown Newark.

My general advice on trips to/from the airport or piers is to take a car service. They are price competitive with taxis and Lyft/Uber and generally much more knowledgeable than the ride sharing solutions.

We use Dial7 - 212-777-7777, www.dial7.com

A direct competitor is Carmel - 866-666-6666, www.carmellimo.com

If you google, you'll easily find discount codes for both

• 3 months later...
My general advice on trips to/from the airport or piers is to take a car service. They are price competitive with taxis and Lyft/Uber and generally much more knowledgeable than the ride sharing solutions.

We use Dial7 - 212-777-7777, www.dial7.com

A direct competitor is Carmel - 866-666-6666, www.carmellimo.com

If you google, you'll easily find discount codes for both

Thanks - just booked

We will be in the same boat (lol) for our cruise. Flying in to EWR and need to get to Manhattan cruise terminal. 3 people with luggage and I don't want to mess with public transportation etc, I just want easy and no stress so I'm prob going to go with a car service (but not carmelimo - too many bad reviews there). We will be traveling in September on a Saturday, arriving at EWR late morning.

We will be in the same boat (lol) for our cruise. Flying in to EWR and need to get to Manhattan cruise terminal. 3 people with luggage and I don't want to mess with public transportation etc, I just want easy and no stress so I'm prob going to go with a car service (but not carmelimo - too many bad reviews there). We will be traveling in September on a Saturday, arriving at EWR late morning.

Use Dial7.