"Chat" on Koningsdam

Vict0riann

I haven't had time to go through all the threads, but I wanted to let everyone know that in the "when and where" today on the Koningsdam there was a note that Chat was now available between passengers. It works and it's great. No more need for walkie- talkies! You just have to be on the ship's wifi - I do hope it will be available on all the ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That sounds great.

But if you have to use WiFi -- could that get expensive?

It would just be using the ships IntrAnet, just like the navigator page. There is no cost for that. The only time you have to pay is to access the IntErnat (off the ship).

When we were on in December and using the Navigator we would send a message to each other letting us know where we were. At that time it did require that you look often to see if there was a message. No cost involved. We didn't use it much as most of the time we were together though.

We just got back yesterday from our Western Caribbean 7-day on the Rotterdam. It was a great resource for us. We used it to communicate our whereabouts within our family and to arrange meet ups with our roll call members. It definitely added to the enjoyment of our cruise. I would love to see HAL add a notification feature to the app. We did have to check and refresh the app periodically for any new messages.

Good news. How does it work, do you just let your friends/family on board know that you'll be using that feature to contact them so they know to check it?

This worked great for our family last year on Carnival. You have to download the app first though from the APP store (when you are connected to the internet). It then operates from your smartphone just like a regular text message, using the ships Wi-Fi which is free for this purpose.

Nice tool for staying in touch with friends and family on board.

This worked great for our family last year on Carnival. You have to download the app first though from the APP store (when you are connected to the internet). It then operates from your smartphone just like a regular text message, using the ships Wi-Fi which is free for this purpose.

Nice tool for staying in touch with friends and family on board.

Thanks, good to know! We've used the ship WiFi before to check on other things, glad to know this has been added as another free feature.

I haven't had time to go through all the threads, but I wanted to let everyone know that in the "when and where" today on the Koningsdam there was a note that Chat was now available between passengers. It works and it's great. No more need for walkie- talkies! You just have to be on the ship's wifi - I do hope it will be available on all the ships.

Ann, hating to make assumptions, did you have to download a separate app for this or did it work through the ship's intranet, browser-based "Navigator" pages? It appears from an earlier post that on Carnival ships there is an app that must first be downloaded.

Sorry, must be quick. The chat icon is just part of the Navigator app which you use to check your account, itinerary, etc. All free. You do have to check it to see if you have a message, it doesn't notify you with a sound. But it's better than nothing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, must be quick. The chat icon is just part of the Navigator app which you use to check your account, itinerary, etc. All free. You do have to check it to see if you have a message, it doesn't notify you with a sound. But it's better than nothing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the answer Ann! This explains why it doesn't notify of new messages; it's using the default (likely, anyhow) browser and it's settings on your device. I wonder if if you would get an icon and sound in the task area of the display if notifications are turned on for browsers in your device settings? I know I have it turned off in my settings. Guess I might find out on Westerdam in April! I wonder where Brian is? He could probably explain the technical side of this.