Thinking of a HAL cruise on Koningsdam

NEcruiser7515

Hi Ya'll. I would like some advice, I am looking for a cruise in March for my partner and I. Were in our 30's and I we have sailed twice in our live, both with NCL 2x in the Haven Spa Suites for an avg of $6,300 for both of us. Included in that we get priority boarding, tender, concierge, butler, unlimited beverages, unlimited spa access, unlimited access to its private HAVEN restaurant, courtyard with pool, and 3 nights at specialty restaurants. Pretty much first class.

I'm looking at a bunch of different "first class areas" of ships, Celebrity, RCL, including HAL Koningsdam, this ship looks beautiful. I'm trying to figure out what is the best route to go. I could get a Signature suite for about $7,300 for us both but from what I see that doesn't include priority boarding, butler, access to specialty restaurants drinks etc.

I would have to move up to the Neptune Suite for $10,818 for us both, to get priority boarding, dining reservations, concierge etc. But that still doesn't seem to include unlimited beverages. I've come to the conclusion that NCL is a steal for what you get in their suites for the amount you pay. I've only cruised twice and both on the NCL Breakaway in HAVEN and loved it didn't have to worry about buying any food or drink.

1. If we stick with a Signature suite, do you think we'll be happy with that and a beverage package? The price is within our budget. I don't want to spend more than 7k on a cruise for 10 days. The Signature suite room size is fine, even the Vista suite looks great. But If we choose one of those, is spa access included? What is the price for specialty restaurants and beverage package? I don't see it listed on their website.

I love the newness and clean lines of the Koningsdam. What is HAL's average clientele? We love wine, food and a nice spa area to relax, we don't need crazy zip lines on the ships although I wouldn't mind them but RCL looks more towards kids and families.

I LOVED the Koningsdam. I would recommend purchasing a cabana in The Retreat. I loved that I could go up there in the morning and they would bring me breakfast, lunch, and snacks. Plus the champagne in the afternoon was always nice. (Came with chocolate-covered strawberries and frozen grapes.) I am a foodie so I highly recommend the Tamarind restaurant @ $25/pp. My husband gets the thermal spa pass offered for a reduced price on embarkation and really enjoys it. It doesn't pay for us to get a beverage package but I believe the break-even point on that is 6 or 7 alcoholic beverages per day.

Edited by *Miss G*
Added link

Have you considered MSC’s Yacht Club? We sailed NCL Haven in a spa suite on the Getaway and thought the Yacht Club on the Divina blew it out of the water. The level of service and amenities far exceeded our expectations. Even better, the price is a fraction of the Haven.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My DH and I have cruised on both Koningsdam and NCL Breakaway. The Haven experience is much different than what you'll experience in a Signature Suite with HAL. Basically, you get a larger cabin than a standard balcony, but not a lot of perks. You would have to move up to a Neptune Suite to even start comparing with the NCL Haven. That being said, I would never cruise on Breakaway again, regardless of cabin/suite. It was just not a good fit for us and I won't go into a lot of detail, since you have already sailed on Breakaway and enjoyed it.

We spent two weeks on Koningsdam in a balcony cabin and we loved it! We did not have a beverage package as we are not big drinkers. We did dine in Pinnacle Grill a couple of times and I believe the extra price was $35.00 per person. We really enjoyed it. Tamarind was $25.00 per person and it was very, very good. The ship is beautiful and we though the entertainment was fine, but certainly not as lively in the evenings as you found on Breakaway. We really enjoyed BB King Blues Club and the production shows were just okay. The service and MDR food on Koningsdam was much better than NCL, but we were not in The Haven, so hard to compare.

Personally, I would prefer any cabin on Koningsdam, but that is just my opinion and there are lots of folks who really enjoy NCL.

Just note that the average age of a HAL passenger is much older than you two

I find that it really depends on the time of year, length, and itinerary, but I agree that it does tend to skew older. But, for us, that is our preference.

Hi, the K'dam is very nice. Spent 28 days this last year with her and going on 10 more next month, all in a Neptune. My recommendation is:

Get the Neptune, that is first class. DO NOT get a beverage package, it is much cheaper to pay as you go and put that money to the Neptune. A SS is not a First Class experience.

We love the aft Neptune Suites with the wrap around balcony. The beverage package doesn’t allow bottles of wine or minibar purchases. We haven’t done one and we do drink. More on sea days , less in port. We’ve spent that much but that includes wine by the bottle. The only thing better is the Pinnacle Suite.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Ya'll. I would like some advice, I am looking for a cruise in March for my partner and I. Were in our 30's and I we have sailed twice in our live, both with NCL 2x in the Haven Spa Suites for an avg of $6,300 for both of us. Included in that we get priority boarding, tender, concierge, butler, unlimited beverages, unlimited spa access, unlimited access to its private HAVEN restaurant, courtyard with pool, and 3 nights at specialty restaurants. Pretty much first class.

HAL doesn't offer anything close to that. To get priority boarding and tendering on HAL, you have to book a Neptune Suite and above. HAL does not offer butler service in any suite. It also does not offer unlimited beverages, but it does offer limited beverage packages.

As for dining, HAL does not offer a separate restaurant for suite passengers. Passengers sailing in Neptune Suites and above can dine in the specialty restaurant Pinnacle Grill for breakfast, and are offered the exact same breakfast menu as that of the MDR. There is no private courtyard with pool access.

HAL offers unlimited access to the Neptune Lounge for those sailing in Neptune Suites and above. This is sit down lounge with a small selection of buffet style foods and beverages (coffees, teas, and fruit juices) and is where you will find the concierge. The lounge is always located on an inside section of the ship so there are no views. There is a television in there as well as several newspapers. It has been our experience that very few people actually use the lounge - most just pop in to grab a snack and leave again. It was the least enjoyable venue on the ship for us.

So, if you are looking for a first class suite experience similar to Haven, you will not find it on HAL.