Shopping in Southh America

Reina del Mar

As a self confessed shopoholic, I wonder what you might recommend me to look out for in the markets/ local craft fairs/ stalls at the harbour side on our Round the Horn cruise. Santiago, San Antonio, Puerto Montt, Ushuaia, Punta Arenas, Stanley,Puerto Madryn, Montevideo, Buenos Aires.

Many thanks.

Apologies for mis spelling of title. I am unable to edit it.

Edited by Reina del Mar
Mis spelling of title.

No one keen on souvenirs ???

We didn't buy much. Most of the stops had typical touristy things. I bought a few crafty things - a wood carved butter knife, a little milk jug with penguins on in Ushuaia, a set of Falkland Island coins for a young friend and a jar of diddle dee jam

, the best I think was a small pointed painted mask typical of those worn by the Yamani from Puerto Montt - I think, and a handmade lapis lazuli necklace.

The typical things in Uruguay are the mate cups and bombilla straws - like a closed spoon you drink through, things made of cow horn, handmade wool items from Manos de Uruguay, or some nice handmade glass dishes. Leather is popular here and in Buenos Aires.

There are lots of stalls at some of the stops - just beware the fake alpaca sweaters sold everywhere.

Enjoy.

We didn't buy much. Most of the stops had typical touristy things. I bought a few crafty things - a wood carved butter knife, a little milk jug with penguins on in Ushuaia, a set of Falkland Island coins for a young friend and a jar of diddle dee jam

, the best I think was a small pointed painted mask typical of those worn by the Yamani from Puerto Montt - I think, and a handmade lapis lazuli necklace.

The typical things in Uruguay are the mate cups and bombilla straws - like a closed spoon you drink through, things made of cow horn, handmade wool items from Manos de Uruguay, or some nice handmade glass dishes. Leather is popular here and in Buenos Aires.

There are lots of stalls at some of the stops - just beware the fake alpaca sweaters sold everywhere.

Enjoy.

What port did you end in? (If it was Chile, did you have any issue with the jam?

How does one distinguish a fake alpaca?

Which place did you buy the lapis necklace as we are not going all the way around the horn.

Chile is one of two major countries that mine lapis lazuli so it tends to be cheaper and more plentiful there. I bought the necklace in Santiago but you will probably see nice pieces at other stops in Chile.

On another vacation to Iguazu Falls we visited the Wanda amethyst mine in Argentina and they had beautiful jewellry so look for amethyst in Argentina. http://wander-argentina.com/wanda-mines/

What port did you end in? (If it was Chile, did you have any issue with the jam?

How does one distinguish a fake alpaca?

We ended up in Valparaiso. Had no problems with the jam. I am no expert on alpaca but genuine alpaca is expensive and will be labelled as such. The under $25US sweaters sold in small markets etc. that I saw, all had no labels of any kind and were just brushed synthetic yarn probably from China although the sellers all said they were alpaca.

Real alpaca is cool to the touch and usually only sold in proper high end stores.

Edited by Lunenburg
clarity

We ended up in Valparaiso. Had no problems with the jam. I am no expert on alpaca but genuine alpaca is expensive and will be labelled as such. The under $25US sweaters sold in small markets etc. that I saw, all had no labels of any kind and were just brushed synthetic yarn probably from China although the sellers all said they were alpaca.

Real alpaca is cool to the touch and usually only sold in proper high end stores.

Truer words were never spoken.

A chain we've had very good luck with is 'Kuna', which is a Peruvian company with outlets also in Chile. Sweaters start around $175; scarves start at $50. We are very pleased with the quality.

A number of cruisers on our trip were certain they'd bought the real thing at market stalls for 1/5th the price, and told us we'd been hosed..

I argue numbers for a living, and did not feel the need to argue on vacation.

• 1 month later...

I found that I did most of my shopping on the west side of South America. That's where you will find most alpaca products since the llamas are in Peru and Chile. Also Lapis lazuli is only mined in Chile and Afganistan so if you want that stone, shop in Chile. Great little shops in Puerto Varas which was a stop during our Puerto Montt tour. Also in Montevideo, when you get off the ship, look at the two talls buildings in front of you and walk between them. About a block up was a street market. I didn't purchase anything in BA, Puerto Madryn. I did buy some yarn, knitted items in Puerto Arenas. To the left of the cathedral in the square, walk up about 1/2 block and you will see a little shop with yarn, hats, fur hats, etc inside and that is where I purchased items.