Viking Oceans - Our recent experience (12/15-1/5 Viking Sun)

dcsam

We recently returned from the Miami to Los Angeles portion of the world cruise. For those who have some mobility issues, we highly recommend Viking Oceans. It was our best cruise thus far!!! We've cruised with Holland, Princess, Azamara. Viking is our favorite line now, and we're forever spoiled!

My husband can walk, but not for long distances. His balance is also poor due to a stroke several years ago. I made several inquiries about bringing his scooter, and was told no. It is a small, compact, lightweight scooter (35 pounds). However, we saw more than 3 scooters while onboard. One scooter user said he was given the 'okay' by Viking when he told them his scooter was narrower than his wheelchair. I'm not sure why we were told 'no'. We ended up bringing his transfer chair. And I'm glad we did. The hallways seemed narrower than other cruises we have been on - perhaps they're the same. The hallways do have railings which could make the hallways seem narrower, but my husband found them very helpful when he did walk. Large scooters simply would not work, but small ones seem doable IF one is able to do some walking and move their scooters in and out of their cabin. Even with a transfer chair, he found it helpful to get out of the chair and walk the hallway when the housekeeping carts were in use. I did notice one couple who kept both their scooters outside their door (on the couple of times I was on that floor). I thought this was a big 'no no' due to safety reasons.

We requested a shower chair/stool, but apparently they ran out. When the ship was rockin and a rollin, I brought in a balcony chair. That worked. But not easy. When the seas were calm, my husband would use a towel on the shower floor to aide with traction.

We loved the fact that every deck had elevator access. Even the top decks and walk-around promenade were wheelchair accessible with automatic doors. Smooth transitions too - no big lip to go over. There were ramps to the mid-ship pool too. The handicap bathrooms (in public areas) were really nice and so helpful to those with 'challenges'.

The only area that proved challenging was the area around the Wintergarden. No automatic doors there, and the doors were narrow.

We were very careful in choosing our excursions. There weren't any 'slow walking' groups.

Sometimes the ramp off/on the ship was very steep. Too steep for my husband to remain in his chair. So being able to walk seems important in choosing this line. However, one employee did say there is a different area they can use for those who are wheelchair bound. We just didn't need it.

If (when) we take another Viking Oceans cruise, we'd most likely bring the transfer chair rather than the scooter. The scooter is narrower, but the transfer chair allowed us a bit more flexibility.

Please feel free to ask questions and I'll be happy to respond.

Caroline