Galapagos islands

angeleyes27

We would like to see the Galápagos Islands. I looked into Celebrity cruise lines. They have significantly increased their prices from 2 years ago. Prices per person ranged from $5399 to $13,999 for less than a week. Way out of our budget. It seems that we would be paying for many things that we would not use. We don't drink so we don't need alcohol included. We don't snorkel or scuba so we don't need any of those excursions. I need to have a bland diet and can't eat any spicy or gourmet food with fancy sauces and I am allergic to seafood. Last time I ate one mouthful of spicy food, I suffered for 2 days and once ended up in the hospital. We also don't care about being there for a whole week. But we would like to see wildlife and beautiful scenery. Does anyone know what other alternatives are available for us? Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I and other people I know have used this company

https://www.gadventures.com/search/?f=92d8fcfd1c9f

This would be the low end of cruising. Dressing for dinner is a shower and clean t-shirt

Here's a link to one of the ships they use

https://www.gadventures.com/travel-styles/cruising/galapagos/xavier-3/

We used them for the Galapagos a bunch of years ago. They use top certified Galapagos park guides and the one we had was excellent.

We had bunk beds in our cabin and they were comfortable. Food was so-so. (I would suggest letting them know you need a bland diet with no seafood.)

We saw and did wonderful things on the islands but remember that, in the end, you get what you pay for.

Still, if I wanted to go again, I wouldn't hesitate to book with G.

Just remember that this is nowhere near a mainstream cruise experience.

I found this blog a couple of days ago...... https://practicalwanderlust.com/2016/09/the-galapagos-islands-by-land-a-complete-guide.html.

They provide great details on how to see the Galapagos without taking a cruise. I haven’t thoroughly researched it as it will be a couple of years before we go, so I don’t know if they are missing anything significant by skipping the cruise. Sounds to me like a great way to do it!

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Celebrity several years ago and we don't eat spicy or heavy foods , no problem. I do not drink.

The quality of tour choices each day were amazing, the time taken to enjoy and learn in each island were well worth it. This is not luxury this is exploration whether in water or on land. Top Equidorian guides and pictures given to you after cruise, plus tour and hotel in Quito also excellent.

So it is a choice, I could never imagine going that far to such an amazing place for a few days.

You make a large assumption as it was never tedious.

They offer 3 levels of tours and we took the highest level which had us climbing, snorkelling at Kicker Rock at 6:30 AM as well as long hikes. Nothing easy about these tours we chose.

I wasn't implying that your trip was tedious. Just saying for me, I tend to feel stressed in slow paced excursions which others would find relaxing. No right or wrong. More people are relaxers, just not me.

Have you considered going with REI? https://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/galapagos

• 5 months later...

We’re in our mid 60s & are heading there in Oct 18 as part of a Sth American 50 day tour .... no boats except for Galapagos.

We are on Corals 1 (sister ship is Corals 2) totalling 56 pax between them. I dont snorkel either but am looking forward to dry & wet landings & seeing the area.

Our 4 day tour (includes return flights to the islands, NP fees etc & all meals) plus 2 nites in Guayaquil & 2 nites in Quito (incl transfers, accom and tours) costs $AU8444 for 2.

We chose this cruise as it was mid range and did offer very good value.

We took an 11 day "Nature Workshop" on the 16 passenger Tip Top IV offered by Galapagos Travel.

I recommend them most highly. Everything went perfectly from 1st contact to last moment.

The ship wasn't fancy, but met our standard that we call "nice enough". Small but well designed cabin, pleasant public areas, very good food.

One of the things we especially liked was that they provide 2 guides, rather than the one required by law. When we hiked, one led the group and the other brought up the rear, so both fast & slow walkers had a guide.

When we explored by panga along the cliffs, each panga had a guide. I can't imagine how one guide could have shown/explained things to 2 pangas.

Excellent lectures each evening.

Went to enough islands that we didn't have to choose between itineraries.

Definitely the trip of a lifetime.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

• Thanks 1