Alaska 101

Dishbaby

Hello Fellow Cruisers!

My husband and I are considering Alaska for our next cruise but we have no idea what to expect and don't know if we would find an Alaskan Cruise appealing. For those of you who have sailed to Alaska, could you please answer a few basic questions for us?

1) Is an Aft Balcony off the back of the ship good for an Alaskan cruise or are you better off with a traditional balcony on the side? (for scenery viewing purposes)

2) Is the vibe and energy on the lido deck the same on an Alaskan cruise as a Caribbean cruise? In my mind, I envision Lido time on an Alaskan cruise bundled up in a winter coat and hat, not in a bikini sipping a drink. Am I right?

3) As we have zero experience with Alaska, what itinerary would you recommend? We will probably only do this once so we want to grab the most bang for our buck!

Thanks you in advance for helping us!

You might want to decide if you want to go to Alaska first. Look at photos of different places on trip advisor to see if it is any interest to you. Alaska is pricey so my advice is to make sure you really want to go. Look at previous years trip reports. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Thank you! I was not aware of trip reports but they are providing the info we need!

My husband's first cruise was to the Caribbean. We were on Carnival, it was so long ago that they have sold the ship to scrap. Mardi Gras....1983. Have been on one other Caribbean cruise. We had the pool, calypso music, drinks, BBQ on the deck and fun in the sun while on board.

Going to Alaska in August. Been one other time....hardly remember. Think bundled up with hat, coat, gloves, maybe sipping Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Schnapps.

As for which cabin, budget so you can save $$$ for excursions. For instance, a flight seeing tour to see Misty Fords will cost you approx. $220 per person. Renting a car to drive up the Klondike in Skagway is $160 cheaper than the train.

Look at the inside passage ports and see if any excursion looks good. Pick a itinerary that goes to either Hubbard glacier, Glacier Bay, or offers an excursion to Tracy Arm. When I think Alaska, it is all about wildlife, mountains, and glaciers.

Edited by Dancing Shoes
Add

Tried to add....Can't help on the balcony decision. Budget so you have enough $$ to pay for the excursions. Misty Fords flight seeing will cost about $220. A rental car (option) to travel up the Klondike to see Emerald Lake/Skagway will cost $155 through Avis.