Just got my tickets! Silver Wind out of Barcelona 6/28

• 7 years later...
Anyone sailing out of Barcelona on the Wind on June 28th to Rome?

Just got off from Silver Wind last week, Istanbul to Athens. Had a great time. Ship seems a little worn. Management not up to snuff. Seems like they use the ship to train people. Forget Cruise director.:)

Food service was excellent on Silver Sea. Food was only ok. Butler was outstanding. Entertainment was fine and enjoyed very much. Gym very small. Had shuttle problems when in port (serious lack of planning and mismanagement). Be careful if using private tours rather then cruise tours. BUT the places we went were so much fun and we spent little time on ship. On 4th floor. Noisy at night. Work me up several nights. Get a higher level deck. Pumps going at night will wake you up!

The original post was from 2004!

Well spotted! I glanced at the thread title yesterday evening and thought 'Goodness, they are sending tickets out well in advance nowadays, more than two months pre-departure" ! :o

Well spotted! I glanced at the thread title yesterday evening and thought 'Goodness, they are sending tickets out well in advance nowadays, more than two months pre-departure" ! :o

And having just been "speaking" with you over on the SB board, did wonder, then I read the date!

An original post from 2004! Wow! That's really doing some digging to find a thread to comment on. That notwithstanding I always find it interesting the different view folks have of the same ship and basically the same staff. Granted the comment was about a later cruise but you'd not think things would have slipped that much in a small amount of time. We were on the Wind in the Med 13-27 March 2012 and I'd rate it as the best cruise we've ever been on. Here's my review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=100978 I thought the ship was in great condition and staff fantastic at all levels. Go figure.... :)

My husband and I were also on the Istanbul to Anthens Silver Wind cruise the same cruise as Mondaymorning, although reading the review I did begin to wonder!

OK....so now I see you boarded as we got off so that makes me even more surprised at the negative comments. It's not like we trashed the ship on the way off on March 27. :)

Gee,

I have never been on a cruise where when the ship docked a mile from the port exit and the ship did not provide transportation to the exit. When we exited the ship in Haifa we were a mile from the port exit. We were told we were on our own not by the staff because there was no staff once you walked down the gangway. We walked through an active port dodging trucks and equipment. Later when we complained there was no transportation to the port terminal for those people who wanted to be on their own (we booked our own tour) we were told the ship does not have to provide transportation to the port exit at this stop or any stop. When we returned that evening, we walked through a busy port facility at night without a hard hat and no reflective gear. DANGEROUS. The staff person on duty at the desk when we returned told us it was not their responsibility for shuttles to the port exit. I then took from the desk in front of her the notice to the passengers that there was a shuttle. What ship were you on? I asked several of the senior staff questions and was told it was their first cruise and they did not know.

Also the pumping voice at night was terrible. Several cabins around us complained. Where were you? The worst meal on the entire three week trip was the last meal on the boat. It made a lasting impression. We are trying Crystal Cruise next year because we hear it is much better.

I think most of us are just rather perplexed as to why you dug up a roll call type post about a totally different itinerary on a cruise that took place almost eight years ago, and replied on it. You'd have been better airing your multitude of grievances on a new thread and giving it an appropriate title.

Not all cruise lines suit everyone, and Crystal may well be better for you.

You missed the point of the post. Passenger safety is very important. A cruise line that fails to protect its passengers whether at sea or at the port is a very dangerous situation. In our case we had one member of our group is physically impaired. There are no excuses. If you think passenger safety is irrelevant then please take the star line etc.

This is really confusing. Where did this cruise actually stop? Since the original thread and the cruise MondayMorning is commenting on appear to have different itineraries, I am not following this at all.

And is MM saying that Silversea did not offer shuttles of any sort into town when the ship docked in an industrial area? I find that rather hard to absorb.

Each time our ship has docked in an area not within walking distance to a town or city, there have been buses available to take us to a drop off area, whether it be Athens (40 minute drive) or Rouen (10 minute drive) or wherever. In other ports, such as Antwerp, we were right there in the heart of things, so no shuttle was necessary.

I would agree that sometimes the communications regarding the shuttles is not the best! Sometimes there are local destination people at the desks who are super helpful with maps and info along with the shuttle information.

But we have always had the shuttles when needed.

You missed the point of the post. Passenger safety is very important. A cruise line that fails to protect its passengers whether at sea or at the port is a very dangerous situation. In our case we had one member of our group is physically impaired. There are no excuses. If you think passenger safety is irrelevant then please take the star line etc.

This entire thread is very confusing.

I'm not sure what your agenda is, but perhaps your grievance is best aired with Silversea rather on this board.

Missed the date. My first post.

I think we're just baffled how you managed to even find a thread from so long ago to post on, and wasn't even a similar itinerary to yours, and was by a person who was happy to receive their tickets and was looking for others on the same cruise. If you'd started your own thread about these issues, it would make it easier for any other SS guests who had the same issues to find it and reply. As it is, your post is way off topic to the original. Apart from the ship being the same. But with the SS fleet being so small that's a 1 in 6 chance anyway :)

I'm not sure that anyone has 'missed the point' of your post, although several of us had been confused. And I think I can speak for everyone who has posted so far on this one - we ALL take safety very seriously. But I believe that your complaint is far better addressed to Silversea than it is to us. It sounds as if you have some grievances and were very disappointed.

I have never been on a cruise where there was not a shuttle to town. There was no shuttle. It was a mistake that the crew failed to remedy.

You appear to be complaining about the lack of transportation *within* the port, not from the port into town.

Ports are governed by port authorities, and I have been in other ports where walking was required -- no shuttle buses to the port entrance were provided and people were on their own.

It is quite likely that Silversea could not have brought its own shuttle service within the port.

Archived