Getting the third degree at Customs

LandlockedCruiser01

I've never been asked anything. I even put down 3 cartons of cigs and don't have a problem.

This reminds me of an incident that's funny now but not when it happened. I was with my kids in London and when we went through customs the guy asked my son "So you know this lady?" My son looked at me and said "No,I've never seen here before in my life." I was flabbergasted! He was 8! How did he come up with that? He's a clone so when the guy looked at me and then at my son he laughed and we were cleared. I laugh now but it wasn't funny then!

LOL! You just made my day. What kids will sometimes come up with.

It appears to me that the border people use different procedures on different days. Sometimes they just glance at your passport and wave you through. When that was happening, I (as a solo) was treated just like everyone else (glance and wave).

But on days when they were questioning people - and maybe they have 2 or 3 different levels of that procedure on different days - I was questioned more extensively than non-solos. For example, I don't recall hearing couples questioned about their careers or work experience, but I frequently was. :-(

On any given day you don't know what procedure you will encounter. Sometimes it's a cake walk, sometimes not.

I doubt traveling alone triggers any alarms.

I've traveled solo frequently the past six years. Never once been delayed at customs.

Glad you have never had issues. Not saying an alarm gets triggered

but I do think some agents think traveling solo (especially for women)

is odd. It is like they have no open minds about anything:eek:.....As I

mentioned earlier, I do get the question, "you are traveling alone"?:rolleyes:

If I answered them back what I really think of the question? That would

set off an alarm for them:rolleyes:...cause I feel like saying, "yes, so what?

Why do you want to know? It is none of your business".....but I

never say those things........I just say yes......and they give me

back my passport and go on my way.

But I do think many agents just don't understand many women

love to travel solo.

I already did two solo cruises, and each time, I found myself getting heavily screened at customs. The agents were being total jerks, asking me detailed questions about what I do for work, purpose of my travel, who I'm traveling with (were they being rhetorical?), purpose of some things I packed for my cruise, etc. During one of the cruises, I was even picked out for more detailed screening. It was a quick, but irritating experience, and when the agents found nothing, they begrudgingly sent me on my way.

I ran into two of my cruise friends after getting through Customs; we were waiting for our buses in the same area. They told me that it was because I was traveling alone. While that won't stop me from cruising solo again, the reason is quite unsettling. Compared to my experience with Border Patrol, the TSA agents at the airport were almost as nice to me as the Carnival crew members. If you believe the news articles, TSA is supposed to be really bad.

So on with my question: just how common is it for solo cruisers to get the third degree at Customs? Do they screened and questioned more thoroughly than couples and families? Has there been a history of people using cruise ships to smuggle drugs from countries like Jamaica? If you've had similar experiences or can suggest an answer, please go ahead. If it makes a difference, I'm male, age 29.

I'm in my early 70's (female) and I too have got the "Why are you travelling alone question?" I'm Canadian and this question has been when I'm going tho' customs to catch my flight.

I can only shudder at the thought of how BP would screen me if I took a cruise that stops in Jamaica, but luckily (I suppose), Jamaica doesn't appeal to me.

I travel solo to Jamaica alone numerous times, and I never get heckled by customs the way you have. I travel to Grand Cayman solo and was ask how long will I be there. I said 5 days. She turn to me and said that's a long time for someone by themselves. I said its call a vacation . She didn't say anything to me gain. All these are land base vacation.

I got pulled out going through Customs at Gatwick in 2011, coming back from Dubai. I was asked a number of questions, which included where had I come from and who was I travelling with. I was asked if I knew what the duty free allowance was.

I wonder if it was because I was looking a bit harrassed. I was just in a hurry to get to the station to get the next train home.

• 4 years later...
I've never been asked anything. I even put down 3 cartons of cigs and don't have a problem.

This reminds me of an incident that's funny now but not when it happened. I was with my kids in London and when we went through customs the guy asked my son "So you know this lady?" My son looked at me and said "No,I've never seen here before in my life." I was flabbergasted! He was 8! How did he come up with that? He's a clone so when the guy looked at me and then at my son he laughed and we were cleared. I laugh now but it wasn't funny then!

Sounds like a line from a TV show. It was funny to him, maybe, when he saw the show and thought he'd use it. Good thing it worked out ok.

Oops ... didn't see it was an OLD thread. Someone resurrected it though.

• 2 months later...
I already did two solo cruises, and each time, I found myself getting heavily screened at customs. The agents were being total jerks, asking me detailed questions about what I do for work, purpose of my travel, who I'm traveling with (were they being rhetorical?), purpose of some things I packed for my cruise, etc. During one of the cruises, I was even picked out for more detailed screening. It was a quick, but irritating experience, and when the agents found nothing, they begrudgingly sent me on my way.

I ran into two of my cruise friends after getting through Customs; we were waiting for our buses in the same area. They told me that it was because I was traveling alone. While that won't stop me from cruising solo again, the reason is quite unsettling. Compared to my experience with Border Patrol, the TSA agents at the airport were almost as nice to me as the Carnival crew members. If you believe the news articles, TSA is supposed to be really bad.

So on with my question: just how common is it for solo cruisers to get the third degree at Customs? Do they screened and questioned more thoroughly than couples and families? Has there been a history of people using cruise ships to smuggle drugs from countries like Jamaica? If you've had similar experiences or can suggest an answer, please go ahead. If it makes a difference, I'm male, age 29.

I had a worse experience, traveled on a 7 day out of Long Beach with my 13 yr old daughter . Returned her to her mom at the port and got back on board the same ship to travel for an adults week. Met lots of great people even planned lunch once we got home . However once back in Long Beach went into the dome at 8:30 and was asked numerous questions as the agent typed away then said follow me please not even a reason why . Once searching my stuff dumped out pills , jewelry noticed I had a child's neclaces , hair ties , and earnings continued to ask over and over the same questions held me almost 3 hours only to let me go not even an apology thank you nothing . And I had to repackage all my luggage plus no lunch with my new friends was good for s laugh now

• 2 weeks later...

I travel solo as well and had my 1st cruise out of galveston in Dec. (Vision of the Seas). Going through customs was a breeze. I was wearing my firefighter shirt and he asked about it. Then he told me I forgot to sign my passport. He was very friendly and easy going. Total time was only a couple minutes and I was out the door.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

I travel at least every month, and I don't care how much or little I am screened. I NEVER think I'm being "picked on", like it seems being reported. This is a fact of travel. I'd suggest, rethinking your claims- as they may be slanting your presentation.

What's the concern if you are in compliance with entry? It doesn't matter to me, if I have to spend a a little more time.

As for picked on ! I was very much in compliance and have no problem with a random search but when I am held up by customs for almost 4 hours that is rediculoius . I had responded to all questions even located my bags so they could search them to. I also travel all the time . This hold was ridiculous .

I travel at least every month, and I don't care how much or little I am screened. I NEVER think I'm being "picked on", like it seems being reported. This is a fact of travel. I'd suggest, rethinking your claims- as they may be slanting your presentation.

Why on earth should I rethink my claim?? My thoughts on my experience with Customs/ Security are my own. To suggest they are "slanted" is rude. Good for you if you have never received this type of treatment. I have more times than I can count. Do I still travel, of course I do. The point of this thread is that single women in particular seem to be picked out and questioned way more than couples and families.

• 2 months later...

I've had problems at Long Beach, which I suspect is simply their fear of drug smuggling on Carnival's short and cheap cruises to Ensenada and its many pharmacias. Once it involved checking my identity in a back room (carry multiple IDs, just in case), and once checking my bags (print out a list of your meds, so you can explain any pills). The past several times through there, though, I've gotten through without problem, especially after using an enhanced driver's license, which requires a background check, unlike a passport. I suspect some of it has to do with the LA port customs guys having to justify their cushy jobs, since getting off a Mexican cruise in San Diego is just a cursory passport check, since they only work there when a cruise ship comes through, whereas in Long Beach it's twice or more a week, year-round.

I also was pulled aside after checking in on a Disney cruise going out of Vancouver for an identity check, which I suspect was profiling me as a possible sex offender since I was a man sailing solo, but I told myself if I were an Arab going on a plane or a black man driving, I'd probably get more intrusive suspicions from police.

As for Canada, I realized after being interrogated and searched at the border is they are afraid you are looking to emigrate illegally to Canada to live off their social services--thus the questions about income and other ties to the US. I solved a lot of the Canadian border hassles by getting a NEXUS card, also requiring a background check (the card also gives TSA Precheck and Global Entry, which means no hassle or waiting when returning from Europe). Carrying some papers showing a mortgage and substantial investments would also help with Canada--I found the magic words that got me through my immigration horror was the amount of retirement accounts I had with Vanguard and describing my military pension and low-cost health care. I still get taken in for secondary screening when arriving at the Vancouver rail station, though, but I just let them do their thing and I'm quickly gone to get on my cruise.

I had panic attacks the first two times held up at Long Beach, but now I realize it's no big deal, and make sure I have an afternoon flight so I'm not pressed for time (and I've learned to wait until the end of debarkation to get off the boat, so I'm not rushing and angry at lines and stressed when I get to customs). I also use the breathing app on my Apple Watch while waiting in line, listen to some calming music, avoid an espresso jolt that will make me agitated, and ask myself 'what's the worst that could happen?' instead of getting upset (especially considering the trauma that many legal and illegal immigrants face at borders). The worst thing you can do is become confrontational and agitated, as many cruise passengers tend to do when dealing with cruise line customer service--that doesn't fly with customs/immigration. Some are professional, some are friendly, some are power-hungry jerks, but being confident and polite and reserved is the best approach, I've found.

At the same time, my negative experiences in LA made me turn more to San Diego and HAL for my Mexican cruises, and to Alaska ones with no hassles.

Edited by rj42
wanted to add to my post

Well, I'm 55, travel solo either by cruise or land tour, and I have been questioned extensively by Border Patrol. My land tour was to London, met up with the tour group there but flew on my own. Tour ended in Paris. The 'group' went on the bus to the airport in Paris. I had to go to the train station, cross from France to 'England' inside the station and I was asked the same as you. I opened my suitcase (they didn't require it) and I pulled out ALL my paperwork showing I was with a land tour but flying on my own ... I was there for over 20 minutes satisfying their queries.

Last year, coming back from Cuba, I was asked again and again WHY are you travelling alone? Couldn't you find ANYONE to travel with you? Last minute TO CUBA? NO ... I grew up in New England ... NONE of my friends there wanted to go to Cuba.

I've had problems at Long Beach...

Interesting... Good to know. I was thinking about doing a short Catalina/Ensenada cruise, but your comment is making me reconsider. God help me if they find my bottle of Tylenol or Imodium! :eek: I think I'll stick to Caribbean cruises out of Miami; I didn't have much of a problem there. All they asked me was what I do for work, and seemed to calm down when I said I worked in IT. Port Canaveral was much worse; that's where I got secondary-screened. I think it's because it's filled with families on Disney ships, and a single dude stuck out like a sore thumb.

I was 29 back then, on both cruises. Maybe I'll have a slightly easier time today, since I look older. (Read: less likely to have drugs on him.) One thing for sure: I'm DEFINITELY not cruising solo to Cuba.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I very frequently got more, and more pointed questions, when traveling solo, particularly from US Immigration (moreso than when I travel elsewhere in the world) - though now that I've got a Nexus card, it's much, much easier (best $50 investment I've ever made). I understand why, but I don't doubt that it's real. Yes, they are "picking on" solo travelers solely because they're traveling alone -- pattern recognition and assessing risk is part of their job, so there's no point in denying it. It's a common experience among anyone traveling solo (and there was recently a thread in the Solo Cruisers forum about it).

I very frequently got more, and more pointed questions, when traveling solo, particularly from US Immigration...

Speaking of which, when they ask you "Have you met anyone?", DO NOT SAY "YES". It's a trick question that they always misinterpret! It doesn't mean "Have you made any new friends?" It means "Have you prearranged to meet someone during cruise?" (To hand off a briefcase of drugs, of course.) Fortunately for me, I already knew that. So when they asked me, I told them: "Nobody specific. Just passing conversations here or there." (The last sentence was a fib.) After all, they don't need to know about the fun tablemates who adopted me and made my cruise. I don't want to throw innocent people under the bus.

When getting off a cruise, I have always just 'sailed' thru the inspection...just a question like, where were you born, or where do you live, if even that, followed by have a nice day.

A month ago, I crossed back into the US from Montreal, by bus. I received a much more intensive questioning in that case...where do you live, where were you born, where did you go, what was the purpose of your trip, did you bring anything back, what is in your bag (didn't actually look inside), and some others that I have forgotten. About three minutes worth, compared to usual 15 seconds or so....

Customs agents are trained to “read” body language. If you have had a previous negative experience when returning to the U.S., it may be reflected unconsciously in your body language. That will cause you to be screened more closely. Always act like you know what you are doing. You want to be comfortable but not overbearing in your demeanor. Just be calm and pleasant.

I've cruised solo over a dozen times, know exactly what I'm doing, and cool as a cucumber, but have still been pulled aside and questioned a few times. Twice I was asked 'why' I would cruise alone and both times told the agent 'I live alone and travel alone and I wouldn't have it any other way." The last time he said it was a little weird. I told him it's happening more and more so he should get used to it. I've asked a few couples if they've been asked 'why' are you cruising with the other one in particular, and of course the answer was no.