Getting to Gold Rock Beach/Lucayan National Park

PaulaBinMississippi

My 16 year old daughter and I will be in Freeport in March on a Carnival Cruise. I'd like to go to Lucayan National park and Gold rock beach. I've read so much about Freeport, that it has made me a little nervous about the two of us traveling alone. If we take a cab, how expensive would that be? I keep reading about other companies that do excursions there making multiple stops and it taking hours to actually get to the beach. Then there is the option of booking through Carnival- but that is always so much more expensive. Some input would be appreciated (I don't see myself renting a car there) And is the pier area in Freeport really as bad as I keep reading?

I was prepared to hate Freeport. We did the kayak and nature tour through carnival. Went both places. My advice? Pay for it. It was awesome! The kayak was easy. Actually harder for experienced kayakers then those with no experience. The info you get from the guide during the drive there and during the kayak was very interesting to me and my 12 year old son. We ended up with more than a couple of hours on the beach and time to shop at the peir after. I really can't adequately explain how wonderful it was. It greatly exceeded my expectations. Not at all tourist trappy. Very authentic. By the van ride back my son and I were ready to move there! This was from a starting point of considering not getting off the ship in Freeport. Spend the money and try to get in bradleys group.

I was prepared to hate Freeport. We did the kayak and nature tour through carnival. Went both places. My advice? Pay for it. It was awesome! The kayak was easy. Actually harder for experienced kayakers then those with no experience. The info you get from the guide during the drive there and during the kayak was very interesting to me and my 12 year old son. We ended up with more than a couple of hours on the beach and time to shop at the peir after. I really can't adequately explain how wonderful it was. It greatly exceeded my expectations. Not at all tourist trappy. Very authentic. By the van ride back my son and I were ready to move there! This was from a starting point of considering not getting off the ship in Freeport. Spend the money and try to get in bradleys group.

We have booked this excursion and are loving the positive reviews. Why do you say it is harder for experienced kayakers? We have only kayaked a few times, so semi-experienced.

Taxi would likely be very expensive and they will probably try to direct you to a closer beach as it is so far they won't be making much money. An excursion may be a better option, or arrange a private driver ahead of time instead of trying to find a taxi after arriving.