Name of the sixth Viking ship!

Azulann

I noticed yesterday when looking for new itineraries (looking for Italian Sojourn 2019 that's not in the Summer) that there were new dates for a few of the Med itineraries and they were on Viking Jupiter. If you go to the Viking website and pull down the ships list, Viking Jupiter is listed with quite a few itineraries already. None were Italian Sojourn though :(

I noticed yesterday when looking for new itineraries (looking for Italian Sojourn 2019 that's not in the Summer) that there were new dates for a few of the Med itineraries and they were on Viking Jupiter. If you go to the Viking website and pull down the ships list, Viking Jupiter is listed with quite a few itineraries already. None were Italian Sojourn though :(

Rats! Italian Sojourn 2019 that is not in the summer is exactly what I was hoping for when I saw the announcement about the Jupiter. I cannot deal with the heat and I prefer not to deal with the crowds. Oh well, at least you saved me some time.

Rats! Italian Sojourn 2019 that is not in the summer is exactly what I was hoping for when I saw the announcement about the Jupiter. I cannot deal with the heat and I prefer not to deal with the crowds. Oh well, at least you saved me some time.

Well, never say never. They added some Sojourn itineraries for 2018 well after other itineraries for the year had been published, but none worked for us. It's maddeningly difficult to figure out if a ship's itineraries are filled out the way they have the website set up and multiple ships doing the same itinerary. I have, in the past, used an online t/a website that runs by date to try to piece the various ship's routes together. I couldn't believe my eyes yesterday when new itineraries were popping up in real time on Viking Jupiter. I haven't had the time to figure out if there are still holes in her schedule. She's going to South America though, I saw that.

Yeah! South America....can’t wait to see Vikings expanded itineraries as they continue to grow. Thanks for the heads up - needing to check that out!

It's a lovely itinerary. We did the identical trip on Princess. It would be so much nicer on Viking! I'm sorry now we've done it already :)

It's a lovely itinerary. We did the identical trip on Princess. It would be so much nicer on Viking! I'm sorry now we've done it already :)

First glance just now and totally agree that it looks very attractive. Since you have done, and since it is offered in both directions, would you view one preferred over another?

First glance just now and totally agree that it looks very attractive. Since you have done, and since it is offered in both directions, would you view one preferred over another?

Yes! We did Santiago to Buenos Aires, which was good for the flights, but bad for glacier viewing. Both big glacier days of cruising had us passing them early in the morning and it was foggy. My husband's favorite bartender told him that when they went the other way (Starting in BA) the scenic cruising was all in the afternoon. Obviously, YMMV with another cruise line, but that's how it went for us. I would go the other way this time for that reason. My husband didn't even get up for one of the days as it was 6:00 a.m. Not sure the direction matters for any of the rest of it. I did all the excursions for the roll call, and I still have all my information, so if you sign up for it, hit me up and I'll share.

My favorite thing was seeing King Penguins in the Falklands. So amazing.

PS - the reason I think it would be so amazing on Viking is the outdoor/indoor space. On every other cold weather cruise we've done (several!) people gather in the indoor areas and stay all day. No way to get a coffee or even eat in the buffet with people spending the days in there. On Viking when that pool roof is closed nearly every space that was once outdoors becomes indoors save the infinity pool in the back. The Viking ships are really well built for cold weather cruising.

What terrific feedback amyr! Thank you! Those specifics can really make a difference - so good to know!

I will definitely reach out to you if we decide to look into this one - and great points about the ‘cold weather’ cruising on Viking. We we braved the outdoors on Princess in Alaska years back, but Viking would be oh so much better!

I think my only hesitation on this itinerary is whether we want to incorporate Antarctica....which we have discussed several times. Viking would be a good fit for that in the future......