Back to Back Travel From River to Ocean Can this be done then How much extra???

Sweet Tea Two

I was wondering how much extra is the back to back cruising. If I would go on a Ocean Cruise Med Oddesty first end at Spain or Venice fly to Passau Germany and then take the Danube Waltz cruise on the river can this be done or has anyone done anything like this and how much extra will that be coming from the states? Thanks.

I was wondering how much extra is the back to back cruising. If I would go on a Ocean Cruise Med Oddesty first end at Spain or Venice fly to Passau Germany and then take the Danube Waltz cruise on the river can this be done or has anyone done anything like this and how much extra will that be coming from the states? Thanks.

You can do anything you want. Viking does offer a couple ocean plus river combos, which you can see on their website. I've not looked at them in depth to comment on pricing.

The hard part is timing, optimizing the time between the end of the first cruise and the start of the next. Plus, the cost of any transportation and needed hotel stay would be on you. However, I get the impression that there are folks here who have already done this kind of "b2b," so you won't be treading on new ground.

Currently Viking offers only two of what they call "Ocean and River Voyages," neither of which is the combination you are looking at. Therefore I am pretty sure they would consider a combo of Odyssey as two separate cruise vacations with two different booking numbers. If you're using Viking Air you'd have to pay a surcharge to deviate from the air itinerary and then pay extra to arrange transportation between ports.

So for the sake of illustration, you book the Odyssey cruise from Venice to Barcelona and then you go to Passau to get on the Danube river cruise. Viking Air for the Odyssey cruise would take you to Venice with arrival the day of the cruise and then to Barcelona airport on departure day. That's the standard. To do what you want to do, you'd be leaving not from Barcelona but from Budapest at the end of the Danube Walz. It's on your dime to fly from Barcelona to Passau. To the best of my knowledge, Viking will not help you in booking a one-way flight. In addition, there is what they call a deviation fee to fly from a port different than the one you debark at. If you look on Viking's website, there's more information on this. Scroll to the very bottom of the main page and click on Air Services to find out more on Custom Air.

If the dates match up, of course you can do what you want but really you're booking two cruises, not a back-to-back so there no discounts on the order of what some other cruise lines offer. You'll get your loyalty discount and that's it. And extra fees for the air deviations if you choose to use Viking Air.

• 2 weeks later...