Solo Cruising

cle1

Hi, I did a 7 day Solo Konigsdam cruise over Christmas and in the first Day At Sea printed program, "Solo Cruisers to meet for Team Trivia." And also "Solo Cruisers to meet for lunch in the MDR at noon." So at least HAL is trying to get people together. Hope it helps. Happy Travels.

I am wondering if I should try cruising by myself on a longer cruise (30 days or more) and does the ship try to do anything for single cruisers to meet each other? Carol

I have done several very long cruises solo. Although I rarely participate, HAL does sponsor several single/solo activities ranging from lunches to cocktails.

There are quite a few solo HAL cruisers (as well as on other cruise lines) and many of them have done long cruises -- 30 days and more.

HAL does try to organize a lunch, a cocktail party so that they can meet each other.

Once you do book a cruise, join your Roll Call -- you will meet people there and possibly some solo cruisers.

I have cruised solo many times including a Grand World Voyage, the entire 113 days. It's very easy to meet many people during a cruise including other solos. HAL does offer opportunities in the daily program (not necessarily every day, however) for solo specific events. Sometimes, I will take advantage of these, particularly on a really long cruise. But, more often than not, I don't.

There is a CC Message Board for Solo Cruisers. You might want to check that Board for information, too.

I just did a quasi-solo cruise - and was quite surprised how comfortable it was and how open and friendly so many passengers are to solos. Only awkward time was on a shore excursion where we had to line up two by two to get on a raft - ooops, no partner.

One thing I learned for myself is I will never take another inside cabin even if that is the most cost-effective option. And right before departure HAL offered a very low cost "upgrade" to an ocean view solo cabin which I declined, and now wish I had not.

So maybe take the cheapest inside cabin for a solo and hope this same last minute "upgrade" will also happen. Unless you know you like the inside cabins. Cabin was fine and I loved not having to share drawers or closets with DH this time. I just did not like being cut off from the daylight.

I call this quasi-solo since my sister and friend were onboard though we did not cross paths that often since we liked doing different things at different times. What I like most of all as this solo passenger test for me is after almost 500 days on HAL ships with DH, is how very homey and comfortable everything felt. That was a bonus.