Nelson's Dockyard on your own - how we did it

Morgsmom

This thread is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much for the great advice. We'll be going at the end of next month and will be doing Nelson's, English Harbor and Shirley Heights. We're sooo looking forward to it!

Thanks for all the great/detailed information!

Juanita

On our first visit to Antigua in 2011, we hooked up with an independent tour that included "Nelson's Dockyard". It was our favorite place on the island and we wished we had more time there. The island is lush and gorgeous and full of history, but Nelson's was definitely our favorite place. So we decided on our 2012 cruise to make it our primary destination while in port. Nelson's is truly lovely; and this time we spent the afternoon there and had a wonderful time that included a lunch at the Admiral's Inn. It is not inexpensive, but it was wonderful and the food is great; the views are incredible. Nelson's also has some good shopping; it is a unique destination experience. We hired a driver right outside the pier; a retired college professor who charged about $65 for a 5 hour tour. In addition to Nelson's, he took us to many other areas of the island and gave us a rich history lesson about Antigua. Nelson's is terrific.

• 4 years later...
I read on Frommer's that there was considerable damage recently from the hurricanes. Does anyone know if it is still worth visiting Nelson's Dockyard? I will be in Antigua in a week.

The businesses on Antigua have consistently reported that they were missed. They’ve been helping their neighboring island Barbuda, because they were so fortunate.

I’m not totally sure what Frommers is talking about.

Also, feel free to create new threads! The one you responded to is fairly old.

• 3 weeks later...

I was reading through this and then realized how old it was. Does anyone know if the information in it is still valid? I am going to be in Antigua on January 17th, first time to the island and I really liked the idea of taking the local bus and water taxi to see Nelson's Dockyard and Shirley's heights. I have a full day tour already booked for our next day in St. Lucia so would prefer not to do two guided island tours in a row.

I was reading through this and then realized how old it was. Does anyone know if the information in it is still valid? I am going to be in Antigua on January 17th, first time to the island and I really liked the idea of taking the local bus and water taxi to see Nelson's Dockyard and Shirley's heights. I have a full day tour already booked for our next day in St. Lucia so would prefer not to do two guided island tours in a row.

We did this last week and it worked fine. He charged $4 USD for two people for one way. It will be a little cheaper if you use their money.

We did this last week and it worked fine. He charged $4 USD for two people for one way. It will be a little cheaper if you use their money.

This is on or route for March 2018. Great information and certainly good to see an update! That's what I love about this board... Good information and good people willing to share. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
You should be able to walk around the ticket office entrance and tell the guard that you're going to the water taxi, but frankly, for the price, it's well worth walking through the dockyard and looking at the exhibits.

If we decide to skip the museum and docks and head straight across, does anyone know what the return fare would be on the water taxi alone?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

Just an update for those adventurous souls. DD (15) and I were in Antigua last week and following the great advice here we easily took the #17 bus out to Nelson's Dockyard and English Harbor. We did not want a beach day after a harrowing riptide experience in Virgin Gorda the day before, so I changed my plans to take the bus to Valley Church and went to the Dockyard instead.

Basically if you took the tour through the cruiseline it was $55; if you got off the ship and asked at the Visitor's Information office they were ferrying folks to buses that would take you for $25 + $7 admission; we went the route of the $3 RT bus...

Just to let you know, we are both petite blondes, well traveled with a normal degree of caution and a bit of "don't mess with me" tough-guy-ness. We felt completely comfortable the entire experience and would recommend the buses in Antigua.

Antigua Bus Routes

#17 - Valley Rd, Joseph's Lane, All Saints Road, Belmont, Clarks Hill, All Saints Village, Liberta Village, Falmouth, Cobbs Cross, English Harbour.

To Bus stop:

From the dock, you walk straight -- Keep going straight to Market Street and turn right. Then it's a short walk and you'll come to a fork in the road where you bear right (there's an enormous sculpture at that fork, you can't miss it). There is also the big public marketplace. Once past the fork you'll come to the bus station on the right. Some posters have described this walk as going through "seedy" areas. If you have ever lived in any metropolitan area or ventured out at all this area is not seedy; it's just 'real life.' Only danger is the uneven sidewalks. I would not recommend for anyone not physically fairly fit/active due to the uneveness of the roads and the fact that it is a good 10+ minute walk.

You do not buy tickets. Just look for Bus # 17 (or your desired route) - the buses are in "slots" with numbers assinged to them. We waited about 10 minutes to leave. We and a German tourist family were the only 'non Antiguans' on the bus. Cost was $1.50 each. The driver wanted payment up front. On the ride back we paid when we got off.

We took a lovely leisurely ride all the way to the last stop at Nelson's Dockyard and wandered around it, and the English Harbor for a bit. Flagged down a returning bus in a matter of minutes and took it back to the bus station. Since you are going terminus to terminus it was super easy. Granted, there was no narration involved, but a lot of scenery and 'real life.' On the ride back we were the only tourists on the bus.

Awesome advice that worked great for us. Thank you!

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone,

Just an update for those adventurous souls. DD (15) and I were in Antigua last week and following the great advice here we easily took the #17 bus out to Nelson's Dockyard and English Harbor. We did not want a beach day after a harrowing riptide experience in Virgin Gorda the day before, so I changed my plans to take the bus to Valley Church and went to the Dockyard instead.

Basically if you took the tour through the cruiseline it was $55; if you got off the ship and asked at the Visitor's Information office they were ferrying folks to buses that would take you for $25 + $7 admission; we went the route of the $3 RT bus...

Just to let you know, we are both petite blondes, well traveled with a normal degree of caution and a bit of "don't mess with me" tough-guy-ness. We felt completely comfortable the entire experience and would recommend the buses in Antigua.

Antigua Bus Routes

#17 - Valley Rd, Joseph's Lane, All Saints Road, Belmont, Clarks Hill, All Saints Village, Liberta Village, Falmouth, Cobbs Cross, English Harbour.

To Bus stop:

From the dock, you walk straight -- Keep going straight to Market Street and turn right. Then it's a short walk and you'll come to a fork in the road where you bear right (there's an enormous sculpture at that fork, you can't miss it). There is also the big public marketplace. Once past the fork you'll come to the bus station on the right. Some posters have described this walk as going through "seedy" areas. If you have ever lived in any metropolitan area or ventured out at all this area is not seedy; it's just 'real life.' Only danger is the uneven sidewalks. I would not recommend for anyone not physically fairly fit/active due to the uneveness of the roads and the fact that it is a good 10+ minute walk.

You do not buy tickets. Just look for Bus # 17 (or your desired route) - the buses are in "slots" with numbers assinged to them. We waited about 10 minutes to leave. We and a German tourist family were the only 'non Antiguans' on the bus. Cost was $1.50 each. The driver wanted payment up front. On the ride back we paid when we got off.

We took a lovely leisurely ride all the way to the last stop at Nelson's Dockyard and wandered around it, and the English Harbor for a bit. Flagged down a returning bus in a matter of minutes and took it back to the bus station. Since you are going terminus to terminus it was super easy. Granted, there was no narration involved, but a lot of scenery and 'real life.' On the ride back we were the only tourists on the bus.

Did this today....$1.50 each way, Interesting ride, worked great, Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Did this today and prices are accurate, but the directions were phenomenal (thanks). Our return trip was at about 2:00pm and definitely more traffic.

The walk to the bus station was easy enough, but choose your shoes wisely. DD (17) went for fashion over function and took a tumble on the uneven "sidewalk." All good, no injuries, but that's how it goes when you're 17. At 46, it would have probably been traumatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums