Cruise to Mexico

anca101

Our cruise is going to stop at Cozumel and Costa Maya.

I heard that there are no beaches in the close proximity and you have to rely on taxis.

How expensive this is going to be and how you can get back to sheep? I am thinking that coming back may be a problem because you need to take any taxi that is going to wait at the beach and you will have to pay anything he asks given that you don't really have a choice.

Also how safe is this in Mexico?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We find that both of these areas are safe but just like anywhere you want to be observant.

You can get a lot of information on the ports of call board when it comes to ports and Costa May and Cozumel have there own boards so yo can read on those boards and also post questions.

For Costa May:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=169

For Cozumel

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=210

Costa Maya has a beautiful areas right at the cruise port which was built by one of the cruise lines. A very large and nice pool area a beach close by and lots of places to eat and shop.

Keith

In Cozumel, I wouldn't be worried about getting back to the ship. The taxi drivers know when people need to head back to the ship and will be waiting at the beaches. Though, in Cozumel, most people book a beach break (versus a public beach) and they can always arrange to get a taxi for you.

In Costa Maya, there is a shuttle that takes you to Mahajual. It's only a couple bucks per person. It's only about a 10 minute ride. For the return trip, you need to take a taxi. The taxis are lined up and easy to get. It's a set price. I don't remember the cost, but it was pretty cheap. Just confirm the price before you get into the taxi.

Agreed that there’s no need to hire a taxi to wait. I’ve been to ports where there are taxis lined up at touristy places you can hop on; and I’ve had taxi drivers drop me off and ask when I want to be picked back up. As others said; everyone is going from the ship to places in the AM and from places to the ship in the PM. Have never had trouble getting transportation back to the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In Costa Maya, there is a shuttle that takes you to Mahajual. It's only a couple bucks per person. It's only about a 10 minute ride. For the return trip, you need to take a taxi. The taxis are lined up and easy to get. It's a set price. I don't remember the cost, but it was pretty cheap. Just confirm the price before you get into the taxi.

There is also a relatively new water park just outside the pier complex!;)

In Cozumel there is a taxi “stand”where the cost for most of the beaches and other sites is posted so you know the price before getting into the taxi. The price is for the taxi, not per person! If you want a beach day, I would recommend Paradise Beach. Entry fee is about $3-4/person and there are lots of umbrellas and loungers. Good food and beverages, plus a pool if you prefer. Taxis are always there to take you back to the ship whenever you are ready. Have a great cruise and don’t stress over things!

Sent from my iPad using Forums