Ryan Air

We use STN a lot as it is our most convenient airport. Since they have remodelled it there are almost always long queues to go through security.

Tends to be worse in the morning and at weekends. It can also be a long way to departure gate, so make sure you leave yourselves plenty of time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ryan air have gotten way better now than a couple of years ago. I fly with them several times a year. I live in Cork so do the Stanstead flight regularly.

There has been some inaccurate information given. There is no difference in cabin allowance between the different ticket types. Everyone is entitled to one cabin bag and a handbag/duty-free bag.

This is my comprehensive guide for Ryanair Cork to Stansted flights.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Thanks for your comprehensive guide, very useful. But are you taking into account their new cabin bag "regulation", which suggests some lower fare travellers will have their "cabin" baggage put in the hold? This from their website:

New cabin bag regulations – from 15th January 2018

From the 15th January 2018, if you have not purchased Priority Booking or a Plus/Flexi Plus ticket you can still take 2 pieces of cabin baggage, however your 10kg cabin bag will be tagged at the boarding gate and placed in the hold at no additional charge. You will be able to take your smaller bag into the cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes you are still entitled to bring the luggage with you and it might be put in the hold. I covered this lower down in my guide.

As they all ready have to check cases it is no benefit to them to bring their hand luggage with them on the plane. It would be better to let the ground crew put them in hold.

I travel often and have since they became stricter (Only 90 bags allowed). in policy. I have never seen 90 priority passengers. What happens is the ground staff asks for volunteers first. If you don't have a connection or already have a checked bag you might as well put it in the hold when they offer.

So then you have your normal Ryanair queue, so if not enough people have already given up there bags they usually start at the end of queue given those people luggage tags.

The people at the front of the queue usually get to take their bags with them.

only if you have a short connection time when you have to be out of the airport as quick as you can does it really benefit you to take your bag in to the cabin with you.

Yes, I said the same in my original response. The wording of the new "regulation" suggests it WILL be put in the hold if you don't have Priority Boarding or a Plus fare from next week, though.

But as you said irrelevant to the OP if already checking a bag [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's a slick marketing ploy by Ryanair to make priority boarding to be seen as more desirable so increasing the demand for priority so they raise cost of priority seats and more be people will by it.

When in reality there are few reasons why anyone really needs priority to bring. If you're on holiday and don't need to make a connection then a 15 or 20 min wait for luggage in the hold won't really impact you that much.

Here is some press coverage of the new Ryanair cabin baggage rules that came into effect today (and mean that many so-called cabin bags will be placed in the hold at the gate):

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jan/15/ryanair-5-pound-charge-wheelie-bag-in-overhead-locker?

As another poster said, this is kind of just formalising what they have been doing for a while anyway, but with more certainty!

We take a lot of Ryanair flights and in recent times have commented on the size of suitcases some people take into the cabin.

There will always be some who try to abuse the system. Personally, I think it is quite a good idea and nobody forces you to buy priority boarding.

When in reality there are few reasons why anyone really needs priority to bring. If you're on holiday and don't need to make a connection then a 15 or 20 min wait for luggage in the hold won't really impact you that much.

Aside from the luggage, priority boarding can mean you are off the plane and headed to passport control before the hoards (obviously assuming buses are not involved).

The same with the baggage, having it in your hand also means you are headed towards the car rental before everyone else.

Keeping your luggage with you also removes any possibility of it going missing (I know this is less of an issue with Ryanair as the bags are collected at the plane steps).

I understand Ryanair's issue. I take on a precise size 50x40x20 bag and yet everyone else seems to have a bigger bag and a big second bag, taking advantage of Ryanair's new policy of being nice.

Aside from the luggage, priority boarding can mean you are off the plane and headed to passport control before the hoards (obviously assuming buses are not involved).

The same with the baggage, having it in your hand also means you are headed towards the car rental before everyone else.

Keeping your luggage with you also removes any possibility of it going missing (I know this is less of an issue with Ryanair as the bags are collected at the plane steps).

I understand Ryanair's issue. I take on a precise size 50x40x20 bag and yet everyone else seems to have a bigger bag and a big second bag, taking advantage of Ryanair's new policy of being nice.

You have pointed out some advantages. And if you don't mind paying the extra price, that's up to the individual to gauge those advantages. I have gotten it myself a time or two when it was on special offer.

But for most people it's not a necessity. We're all too rushy these days. Why not sit calmly in your seat while the shoving and the pushing takes place? In Stansted it's nearly always buses, so if you are the last on you'll be first off. If on a flight from Cork there is usually someone at the top of the stairs if you are from EU who you flash your passport. No waiting at all. You walk straight in to luggage claim then.

The bus ride and walk to luggage claim is often just about right for luggage to arrive on conveyor.

If there is already a queue at the car hire, why not have a cup of coffee or nip to loo to freshen up to thin out line a bit.

If you have a long car journey ahead of you why not stretch the legs for a bit. It's the first day of your holiday it's not like you will really do any must see sightseeing. Arrival day is usually get settled in the accommodation, maybe have a short look around where you're staying, getting a meal then off to bed.

Will it really have that big of an impact if you are an hour later arriving at your final destination?

I think there are some very clever people at Ryanair, who are very good at separating people from their money 😉

Well, we have ascertained that the new rules have been applied because there were too many people taking cases as hand luggage far larger than the max size.

It isn't just Ryanair who make the extra charges, other airlines do it too.