Cruising with RCCL - New Caledonia Visa Problem

The cruise we booked for this November includes a few hour stop at Noumea, Caledonia, and my mother is a Chinese passport holder, and generally speaking she will need a visa for New Caledonia. But it's almost impossible to get one due to the lengthy and complicated application process. I searched and found these old posts regarding whether or not a visa is indeed needed for cruise ship passengers.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1085073

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32734620&postcount=16

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32734759&postcount=18

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33107252&postcount=42

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=34860187&postcount=52

So, according to other cruisers, visa is NOT needed after all. What's more, it says on the French government's website:http://www.ambafrance-au.org/New-Caledonia-and-French-Polynesia If you require a visa to enter New Caledonia and French Polynesia, please note that if you remain aboard the vessel transiting through a French port arriving from one country and travelling to another country, you do not require visas if you remain on board the vessel during the port of call.

And I even emailed the visa department of the French consulate to confirm that.

However, after making numerous calls to RCCL, the responses I got was very frustrating. According to them, you won't be allowed to embark if you don't have the visa, regardless what the government says. And they don't have the 'in-transit' visa that covers everyone on the ship like P&O cruise line does.

I can't believe that Royal Caribbean makes it so difficult for their passengers and they would rather lose a sale. We'll have to cancel this cruise as there is no other choice.

The cruise we booked for this November includes a few hour stop at Noumea, Caledonia, and my mother is a Chinese passport holder, and generally speaking she will need a visa for New Caledonia. But it's almost impossible to get one due to the lengthy and complicated application process. I searched and found these old posts regarding whether or not a visa is indeed needed for cruise ship passengers.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1085073

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32734620&postcount=16

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32734759&postcount=18

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33107252&postcount=42

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=34860187&postcount=52

So, according to other cruisers, visa is NOT needed after all. What's more, it says on the French government's website:http://www.ambafrance-au.org/New-Caledonia-and-French-Polynesia If you require a visa to enter New Caledonia and French Polynesia, please note that if you remain aboard the vessel transiting through a French port arriving from one country and travelling to another country, you do not require visas if you remain on board the vessel during the port of call.

However, after making numerous calls to RCCL, the responses I got was very frustrating. According to them, you won't be allowed to embark if you don't have the visa, regardless what the government says. And they don't have the 'in-transit' visa that covers everyone on the ship like P&O cruise line does.

I can't believe that Royal Caribbean makes it so difficult for their passengers and they would rather lose a sale. We'll have to cancel this cruise as there is no other choice.

This is a matter for your Travel Agent to pursue but, if you're like many of us and don't have one, then it's certainly VERY frustrating for you.

How about you post this question on the dedicated Royal Caribbean International thread. There must have been others who have had to address this problem in the past.

All the very best!

This is a matter for your Travel Agent to pursue but, if you're like many of us and don't have one, then it's certainly VERY frustrating for you.

How about you post this question on the dedicated Royal Caribbean International thread. There must have been others who have had to address this problem in the past.

All the very best!

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to find that thread.

I am no expert on this subject and I guess it is very confusing i.e. terminology etc. I had the to read up on this once before and if my memory serves me.

A Chinese Passport holder requires a VISA for New Caledonia and French Polynesia. That is it.

A Transit Without Visa (TWOV) is only 1 hour long and it is for people flying through to another country and a TWOV also does not apply to citizens of People's Republic of China, they need to apply for a VISA.

You mention P&O has a "In transit VISA" but this (I am guessing) is only for holders of an Australian Passport. I guess P&O use this term as they know they do not have to do anything for Australian Passport Holders.

All travellers are responsible for their own VISA requirements - so RCI can do nothing to assist you in anyway except give you advice and they probably won't because it is a very complex subject and would I guess with your circumstances P&O (for example) would be exactly the same.

I am no expert on this subject and I guess it is very confusing i.e. terminology etc. I had the to read up on this once before and if my memory serves me.

A Chinese Passport holder requires a VISA for New Caledonia and French Polynesia. That is it.

A Transit Without Visa (TWOV) is only 1 hour long and it is for people flying through to another country and a TWOV also does not apply to citizens of People's Republic of China, they need to apply for a VISA.

You mention P&O has a "In transit VISA" but this (I am guessing) is only for holders of an Australian Passport. I guess P&O use this term as they know they do not have to do anything for Australian Passport Holders.

All travellers are responsible for their own VISA requirements - so RCI can do nothing to assist you in anyway except give you advice and they probably won't because it is a very complex subject and would I guess with your circumstances P&O (for example) would be exactly the same.

Thanks for the input.

But according to the french embassy's website, if you normally require visa for New Caledonia (such as, a Chinese passport holder), if you stay onboard the ship the whole time, you won't need a visa. There's no time limit mentioned (like the one hour you mentioned). If you read other past posts on this New Caledonia visa issue, all those cruisers are NON Australian passport holders, and P&O said they were covered by their "in-transit" visa.

Thanks for the input.

But according to the french embassy's website, if you normally require visa for New Caledonia (such as, a Chinese passport holder), if you stay onboard the ship the whole time, you won't need a visa. There's no time limit mentioned (like the one hour you mentioned). If you read other past posts on this New Caledonia visa issue, all those cruisers are NON Australian passport holders, and P&O said they were covered by their "in-transit" visa.

t4tintin,

You are Welcome - correct you can stay on board, so it would not be a problem if that is what you want to do.

VISA for New Caledonia are normal VISA (entry) and TWOV (TWOV being 1 hour transit). The "In Transit VISA" does not appear on any of New Caledonia and French Polynesia documentation or the P&O web site. The P&O web site states that you need to "Check your visa requirements with your relevant consulate, embassy or online visa service provider such as http://www.visalink.com.au or http://www.travcour.co.nz at least 75 days prior to your departure."

I have read a lot of post on this subject here a CC and other sites and in the end most recommend contacting the website that you have mentioned already for a definitive answer as they are really the only authority on the matter.

As stated I am no expert on this subject but before changing to another cruise line I would check to see if your mother needs the VISA or not.

Which ever way you go have a great cruise.

t4tintin,

You are Welcome - correct you can stay on board, so it would not be a problem if that is what you want to do.

VISA for New Caledonia are normal VISA (entry) and TWOV (TWOV being 1 hour transit). The "In Transit VISA" does not appear on any of New Caledonia and French Polynesia documentation or the P&O web site. The P&O web site states that you need to "Check your visa requirements with your relevant consulate, embassy or online visa service provider such as http://www.visalink.com.au or http://www.travcour.co.nz at least 75 days prior to your departure."

I have read a lot of post on this subject here a CC and other sites and in the end most recommend contacting the website that you have mentioned already for a definitive answer as they are really the only authority on the matter.

As stated I am no expert on this subject but before changing to another cruise line I would check to see if your mother needs the VISA or not.

Which ever way you go have a great cruise.

Thanks again.

I've already emailed the visa department of the French embassy, and they confirmed that what was said on the French embassy's website was up-to-date and accurate (- that you don't need a visa if staying onboard the whole time). So the problem is at RCCL. They seem to have their own rules regardless what the government says.

Edited by t4tintin

Thanks again.

I've already emailed the visa department of the French embassy, and they confirmed that what was said on the French embassy's website was up-to-date and accurate (- that you don't need a visa if staying onboard the whole time). So the problem is at RCCL. They seem to have their own rules regardless what the government says.

That's true. The lines (like airlines) do impose their own rules. For example, some dual passport holders have issues as they may not require a visa under one passport, but some carriers only permit one passport to be entered, and it may be necessary to record the other one.

Again, it results in a similar situation to yours.

Thanks again.

The problem I see for the cruiseline is - If they allow your mother to board without a visa on the understanding that she will remain on board in that port, how can they be sure she really remains on board? The cruise company cannot just take someone's word that they will stay on board because they are responsible to the government of the country the ship is visiting. The only way I can see is to put a "stop" on her card so if she tries to disembark the machine won't accept her card. Then she cannot use the card that day on board. I can see that the cruise company might think it is simpler to refuse initial boarding to someone without a necessary visa.

I hope you get it sorted out and can enjoy a cruise with your mother. :)

The problem I see for the cruiseline is - If they allow your mother to board without a visa on the understanding that she will remain on board in that port, how can they be sure she really remains on board? The cruise company cannot just take someone's word that they will stay on board because they are responsible to the government of the country the ship is visiting. The only way I can see is to put a "stop" on her card so if she tries to disembark the machine won't accept her card. Then she cannot use the card that day on board. I can see that the cruise company might think it is simpler to refuse initial boarding to someone without a necessary visa.

I hope you get it sorted out and can enjoy a cruise with your mother. :)

I see what you mean. But if you need a visa to get onshore at New Caledonia and you don't have one, you won't be allowed to get onshore at the check point in the first place, and ultimately you'll have to stay onboard, there's no choice. So there shouldn't be the situation where you say you would stay onboard but actually secretly go onshore.

I have emailed the visa department of the French embassy again, asking if they could send me formal documents on the special requirement for the New Caledonia visa exclusively for cruise ship passengers, and here's what they responded:

Hello,

the border services know their jobs and are aware of the fact that cruise ships passengers are usually exempted from the visa requirement. You won't have to show any document to tell the border and customs services that. Therefore, we do not issue this kind of document. Regards,

Visa section

Consulat Général de France à Vancouver

So, it's again RCCL's call.

I see what you mean. But if you need a visa to get onshore at New Caledonia and you don't have one, you won't be allowed to get onshore at the check point in the first place, and ultimately you'll have to stay onboard, there's no choice. So there shouldn't be the situation where you say you would stay onboard but actually secretly go onshore

Maybe I didn't express myself very well. You comment "you won't be allowed to get onshore at the check point in the first place" pre-supposes there will be a checkpoint. On my couple of dozen visits to Noumea there isn't a checkpoint, only the procedure on the ship where passengers insert (or show) their cruisecard and are "logged off". This way the ship knows who is ashore and who is on board. The problem I mentioned still applies. When passengers check off the ship, no-one is checking visas. There wouldn't be time. Everyone disembarks in a continuous line and no-one shows their passport. It would hold everyone up a couple of hours if they were checking visas and I cannot see it happening when hardly anyone on the ship needs a visa. In ports where visas are required, this checking is always done in a lounge on board and passengers are given a slip of paper confirming they have been processed by immigration. French Caledonia doesn't do this.

You could be OK with the advice from the Consulate, but I feel you should get this confirmed by the cruiseline.

On one of our cruises, in Noumea I was 'chosen' to present my credentials to the New Caledonian authorities - there was a note in my room to advise me. I was part of a sample of passengers & we had to have them check our passport & sight us. We had to attend in the MDR at 7:15 am and there were RC staff organsing us into a line to be processed by the border people. The process took just a few minutes. Based on the sample, all passengers were then 'cleared'.

As others have said, getting on & off the ship was via our our seapass card. There were no checkpoints, just the 'boing' machine. The machine knew I had been specifically checked when I had my card scanned, as a different message was noticed by the security staff working the reader.

Unless RC can encode the seapass of anyone who can't get off, there would be no way to control the process. So I guess they approach it like the airlines do - no visa, no travel.

• 4 years later...

Hi there. I would rely appreciate it if you could tell me if your mum went to new Caledonia on cruise without any problems in the end? I'm in the same boat. Dad has a Hong Kong British National overseas passport and now just found out needs visa. No time to apply. So I really like to get some advice please. Traveling with carnival leaving from Sydney Australia. Thank you so much.

Good luck, hope you can resolve the issues before it is too late.

Thank you. You know what? I'm just going to take a chance. There's nothing I can do now. Getting a visa is not an option because of limited time. I'll just go check-in and try my luck. If dad does get on board we'll all be drinking wine until pass out!;p

Yes we have insurance for everyone. but I don't think insurance covers visa problems if he was to sent home. That would be the worst scenario. The rest of us will still go without him but it's just really sad. Money down the drain and he doesn't get to be with family. That's all. The world is not going to end and life goes on. Life is full of disappointments sometimes. we can only try our best and **** happens.:o

I have been personally through this very situation a few years ago.

We were unsure of what to do when my daughter in law who is a Chinese national but Australian permanent resident wanted to accompany us on a Pacific cruise on Voyager of the Seas in 2016.

Visa websites led us to believe that she needed a visa for New Caledonia but people told me that they are not needed.

We were on another Voyager cruise so I asked at check in, asked at immigration, asked guest services, asked other foreign nationals on board.

The answer from all was that they DID NOT need a visa for the islands.

They DID need to insure they had a valid visa to return to Australia otherwise immigration at Sydney will not let you board the ship.

She went on the cruise without a problem and has cruised again since. We have also cruised with other Chinese friends who were on a tourist visa without issue.

I have spoken personally with cruisers who are South African, Philippines, Indonesian, Indian, Chinese and others who did not have visas for the typical Pacific cruise.

There is a forum topic on trip advisor where this has been discussed in detail.

Relax and enjoy you cruise.

Hey guys. My sincere thank you for your help. In fact I've already started drinking wine. Lol. I couldn't sleep at all last night worrying about this visa problem. It is meant to be a birthday present for my daughter's birthday. We're leaving on her birthday so I desperately need this to go ahead! Thank you guys! I can sleep well tonight. I wish you all Happy New Year!

Hey guys. My sincere thank you for your help. In fact I've already started drinking wine. Lol. I couldn't sleep at all last night worrying about this visa problem. It is meant to be a birthday present for my daughter's birthday. We're leaving on her birthday so I desperately need this to go ahead! Thank you guys! I can sleep well tonight. I wish you all Happy New Year!

Reading through the TripAd thread, both passport experts and past travellers clearly state that Visa not required for NC just an Australian return visa for non Australian passport holders.

So glad you get to enjoy your cruise with the whole family.

Happy New Year to you and the family!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Just come back from cruise to New Caledonia with Carnival Legend. No visa required even for non-Australian passport. Just putting an update here so people in similar situation can find it useful.

Australian passport officers checked re-entry visa to Australia (for non-Australian passports) but once this is checked no one asked for visa to New Caledonia even though websites led us believe that non-Australian passports needed visa even for a cruise trip.

Thanks everyone for your help. I had a great time with my family. January 2018.

Hi guys,

Just come back from cruise to New Caledonia with Carnival Legend. No visa required even for non-Australian passport. Just putting an update here so people in similar situation can find it useful.

Australian passport officers checked re-entry visa to Australia (for non-Australian passports) but once this is checked no one asked for visa to New Caledonia even though websites led us believe that non-Australian passports needed visa even for a cruise trip.

Thanks everyone for your help. I had a great time with my family. January 2018.

Thanks for returning with your own experience. After going through the same issues a while back I have been trying to provide advice on Trip Advisor, FB and Whirlpool forums along with here on CC.

I have even copped a bit of abuse from a few at times for providing potentially misleading info.

Pity the various nations websites are not forthcoming with easy to find up to date visa requirements.

A similar situation occurs in cruises that stop in China at present. There is info available that suggests there is now a 144 hour free entry visa on arrival. Problem is RCL tells people they wont be allowed on the ship without a visa and who knows what will happen in China where local officials are sometimes not up to date with the latest changes.