The sliding wardrobes in Wheelchair suites, have they been improved or redesigned?

rl787

Last year we stayed in a Wheelchair suite which we really liked but the wardrobes were an absolute pain as the doors kept on jamming with clothes! The stewardess told us that Seabourn were aware that the design was not as good as expected and that they had worked on a new design which would be more successful. She was under the impression that on a future dry dock they were going to be redesigned and improved. I believe this effects suites 519, 619, 715, 813 and 913 on the three larger ships.

Does anyone know if this is correct and if so has it been carried out yet on Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest? If correct I suppose I should also ask if the new design works better!!

• 3 years later...

Bumping this up.

We've been assigned suite 813 on our sailing next week. I can manage without a tub (it's the Caribbean so we'll soak in the hot tubs!) but I am trying to imagine what our clothing situation will look like without a walk-in closet.

Does anybody have updated experience?

We were assigned one of these suites on a guarantee fare. It was good, except for the wardrobe. My wife has arthritis in her hands and couldn’t operate the doors without causing significant pain. The sliding mechanisms are very poor. Ironic that a suite intended for one type of handicap was a problem for another.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were assigned one of these suites on a guarantee fare. It was good, except for the wardrobe. My wife has arthritis in her hands and couldn’t operate the doors without causing significant pain. The sliding mechanisms are very poor. Ironic that a suite intended for one type of handicap was a problem for another.

Oh no! I too have arthritis in my hands so this might not be good. :eek: I am having trouble visualizing this wardrobe.

Does it have the same amount of hanging space we would have had in the walk-in closet?

Plenty of hanging space, although the robes are not overly deep. But the doors are difficult to open. I guess they need to stop them sliding open too easily in rough weather. If you have arthritis in your hands they WILL be a problem, from our experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Update... the sliding wardrobes are still there. Our suite stewardess took one of the doors off which made it much easier to open/close the doors. We still disliked this configuration for several reasons -

1. We could not close the doors without clothing getting wrinkled in the process. The doors didn’t fully clear the depth of the hangers with clothing on them.

2. Fewer drawers and less hanging space overall meant we had things stashed all over the room.

3. Can only use one of the three sections of the closet at a time. This meant we had to take turns getting dressed, getting in the safe/drawers, etc.

4. The top shelf of the wardrobe isn’t accessible without standing on a chair. Hardly practical and definitely not “wheelchair accessible”!

Other things:

1. The vanity in the entryway lacked a drawer like the one by the walk-in closet has. There is not a plug there either, unlike on the others.

2. The wood fold-down bench in the shower has a mildew smell. We also had a persistent problem with the drains under our room that required a large airblower to be brought in each day to dry the carpet outside the bath. We thought it might be due to shower overspray but weee told it was a drainage design issue under the floor that had nothing to do with us.

3. I missed the tub!

On the plus side:

1. More room to walk without bumping into things.

2. Nice wood rail going along the wall to the bath.

3. The shoe shelves in the wardrobe are nice. They remind me of the ones in the Penthouse Suites.