Upcoming dry-docks and R-Class Atrium Sculptures, their futures?

AtlantaCruiser72

From the recent Westerdam drydock we saw the removal of her Atrium Crystal Sculpture to allow the addition of a much more modern art piece and a general brightening and freshening of the whole Atrium space. Given that all 4 R-Class vessels will undergo drydock in the next several months to we think they will suffer the same fate? I would like to see the spaces become more open modern and bright but would bemoan the loss of the sculptures on the Rotterdam, Amsterdam and Zaandam particularly.

From the recent Westerdam drydock we saw the removal of her Atrium Crystal Sculpture to allow the addition of a much more modern art piece and a general brightening and freshening of the whole Atrium space. Given that all 4 R-Class vessels will undergo drydock in the next several months to we think they will suffer the same fate? I would like to see the spaces become more open modern and bright but would bemoan the loss of the sculptures on the Rotterdam, Amsterdam and Zaandam particularly.

I would highly doubt it. These ships are unlikely to be in the fleet for more than a handful of years (I don't expect any still in the fleet in 10 years) so it would be a really poor use of resources for ships getting phased out sooner rather than later.

Side note - When Statendam and Ryndam left the fleet P&O Australia removed the atrium sculptures and the atrium looked like a brand new ship!

Definitely a loud/busy carpet pattern but so much brighter and more open.

006Pacificeden_CFramew.jpg

Pacific-Aria-Atrium-Internet-6.jpg

Now, the Vista/Signature Class ships on the other hand...

Between the fact that if the rest kept it then Westerdam would just be out of place not having it...

And considering that some of the crystal atrium pieces are huge and hideous (Noordam)...

I could see those maybe disappearing so keep the fleet cohesive. And all of those ships are going to be around for a while... Even though when you think about it, Zuiderdam is already 15 :eek:

That photo confirms my long held belief that the sculptures were disguising a structural pillar! Not sure I like the internet station at the base of the Atrium, but I do like the refreshed Decor. I am hopeful that the R-Class Atrium's, and the entire ship for that matter, will retain their sculptures and artwork but get brighter and more contemporary carpets, fabrics and lighting.

I agree that the R-Class have maybe 10-15 years maximum with HAL, with the 2 remaining S Class probably less than 5 :loudcry::(

Just for clarification: this was Westerdam's original Waterford crystal "Halve Maen" (Henry Hudson's sailing ship) sculpture in her Atrium

HAL_Mar14_Ship_IMG_5789.jpg

WEDM_Rijks2.jpg

This is her new Atrium look after this year's dry dock incl. "Rijksmuseum at Sea" - You can just see the very bottom of what appears to be the new/different center piece placed there during April's dry dock in Palermo Don't have any better pics that show the entire doohickey

The four "R" class sisters (Rotterdam and Volendam are going to dry dock this year) and (Amsterdam and Zaandam next year) are not scheduled to receive "Rijksmuseum at Sea" as far as I know. Their pretty massive Atrium sculptures (nothing hanging from the ceiling on the "R" class vessels unlike the Vistas, Signatures and Pinnacles) are remaining in place also

Rotterdam has the reproduction of a 17th century Flemish clock tower with Hercules holding the world on his back

Volendam has “Caleido”, a three-deck-tall crystal sculpture combining redlacquered metal and blocks of glass

Zaandam has the 22-foot high Baroque-style Dutch Pluer pipe organ with mechanicalfigures “playing” violins, drums and horns

Amsterdam has the giant “Planeto Astrolabium,” with a Carillion at its base. The Astrolabe tracks constellations, theplanets (in relation to the city of Amsterdam), world time and ship’s time

Just for clarification: this was Westerdam's original Waterford crystal "Halve Maen" (Henry Hudson's sailing ship) sculpture in her Atrium

WEDM_Rijks2.jpg

This is her new Atrium look after this year's dry dock incl. "Rijksmuseum at Sea" - You can just see the very bottom of what appears to be the new/different center piece placed there during April's dry dock in Palermo Don't have any better pics that show the entire doohickey

The four "R" class sisters (Rotterdam and Volendam are going to dry dock this year) and (Amsterdam and Zaandam next year) are not scheduled to receive "Rijksmuseum at Sea" as far as I know. Their pretty massive Atrium sculptures (nothing hanging from the ceiling on the "R" class vessels unlike the Vistas, Signatures and Pinnacles) are remaining in place also

Rotterdam has the reproduction of a 17th century Flemish clock tower with Hercules holding the world on his back

Volendam has “Caleido”, a three-deck-tall crystal sculpture combining redlacquered metal and blocks of glass

Zaandam has the 22-foot high Baroque-style Dutch Pluer pipe organ with mechanicalfigures “playing” violins, drums and horns

Amsterdam has the giant “Planeto Astrolabium,” with a Carillion at its base. The Astrolabe tracks constellations, theplanets (in relation to the city of Amsterdam), world time and ship’s time

Just back from the Amsterdam and I loved the astrolabe. I was disappointed that it wasn't working. The carillon did play, though and that was nice to hear.

Asselijn%252C+Jan-Threatened+Swan.jpg

This vigorous swan, immortalized around 1650 by Jan Asselijn, was the first acquisition of the (direct predecessor of the) Rijksmuseum. The picture of the furious animal, defending her nest against the approaching dog in the water, comes across as a dramatic scene from nature. Taking a closer view, one can read the inscription DE RAAD-PENSIONARIE (the Grand Pensionary) under the swan, as well as HOLLAND on one of the Swan’s eggs and DE VIAND VAN DE STAAT (the enemy of the State) above the dog.

Therefore, Asselijn’s painting was understood as an allusion to the difficult position of the famous Dutch statesman Johan de Witt (1625-1672). He was responsible for the foreign policy and the commercial interests of Holland, the (then) dominating province in the Netherlands. To protect the latter he constantly strove for peace, especially with permanent competitor and enemy England. When the painting was bought in 1800, it was thus interpreted as a political allegory. De Witt (whose family symbol was in fact a swan) defends his dearest (Holland) against the approaching enemy of the State, the English dog. The Rijksmuseum had a primarily nationalistic standpoint in those days, so Asselijn’s painting was perfectly suited for the recently started collection.

One day, somebody realized that Asselijn could have impossibly destined his painting for this propagandistic message, for the simple reason that he died in 1652, one year before De Witt would even start his career. Research soon revealed that the inscriptions were indeed added later, but by whom remains a mystery.

JMO - but I do not like the new look of the Westerdam's atrium.

Not just your opinion, KK. I don't like it either---too 'loud'. I have loved HAL's quiet elegance all these years, but it appears the leadership wants to take the line in an entirely different direction. Not my style.

WEDM_Rijks2.jpg

Thanks very much for sharing these photos. I only saw the early photos before the art was installed, and I was concerned with the austerity of the space. And thanks for the later photos, too. I really like this space and the scale of the art, including the "scary" swan.