Ovation towers over Maasdam in Tauranga today Jan 3

WOW What a great photo showing size comparison. I wonder what my little Azamara Journey, which I just cruised on, would look like next to Ovation and Maasdam. Funny Journey never felt like a small ship, as I'd been on Fram previously.

I was just thinking Ovation is one big ship I wouldn't want to be on during a storm with rough seas in the Pacific Ocean!

WOW What a great photo showing size comparison. I wonder what my little Azamara Journey, which I just cruised on, would look like next to Ovation and Maasdam. Funny Journey never felt like a small ship, as I'd been on Fram previously.

I was just thinking Ovation is one big ship I wouldn't want to be on during a storm with rough seas in the Pacific Ocean!

Handles the weather just fine.

Mmmmmm that’s my size ship. I just wish Azamara would offer more Sydney to Sydney options

Handles the weather just fine.

It is not so much the rough seas, which don't bother me, more what would happen in an emergency, with so many passengers, which would frighten me.

MSC Poesia, with 3,000 passengers, turned me off big ships forever.

Ovation was in Sydney yesterday and I thought it looked absolutely amazing. I'm not sure I'd want to go on the ship though but that's because that cruise line has a theme park vibe to it.

I like big ships but I think Ovation is too big.

It is not so much the rough seas, which don't bother me, more what would happen in an emergency, with so many passengers, which would frighten me.

MSC Poesia, with 3,000 passengers, turned me off big ships forever.

I wouldn't want to be on any ship during a real emergency.

Ovation was in Sydney yesterday and I thought it looked absolutely amazing. I'm not sure I'd want to go on the ship though but that's because that cruise line has a theme park vibe to it.

I like big ships but I think Ovation is too big.

Remarkably, it didn't feel crowded, (except for debarking at some ports).

I wouldn't want to be on any ship during a real emergency.

Me neither. However, I don't worry about a possible emergency on small ships, but I do on large ships. I think my experience on MSC compounded my feelings, with five languages on board, and the loss of control by staff when someone tried to jump the queue for US immigration.

I was on the Ovation during this cruise. Watching Maasdam pull into port alongside us I was struck by its elegant lines. Ovation looks like a brick.

Up close though I have to say, there was visible rust up the side of the Maasdam. On the other hand, whenever I went on the lower deck on the Ovation, there was always a painting crew at work. It looked immaculate.

I remember a similar comparison being made between QE2 and Queen Mary 2 when they were in Sydney in 2007/8. Old style elegance vs the modern numbers game.

Has anyone sailed on a new smaller ship?

I was on the Ovation during this cruise. Watching Maasdam pull into port alongside us I was struck by its elegant lines. Ovation looks like a brick.

Up close though I have to say, there was visible rust up the side of the Maasdam. On the other hand, whenever I went on the lower deck on the Ovation, there was always a painting crew at work. It looked immaculate.

I remember a similar comparison being made between QE2 and Queen Mary 2 when they were in Sydney in 2007/8. Old style elegance vs the modern numbers game.

All Viking ships are small and new, however I haven't sailed on Viking. I would like to.

I'd guess the virgin cruiseline ships might take care of the new but smaller ship thing. If you consider 2700 pax small. :eek:

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-ideas/cruises/virgin-voyages-to-launch-adultsonly-cruise-experience/news-story/1c1bda0dd5e1013b4a14c5b9f3da23d4