Kaikoura gets cruise ship visit today 10 Jan

I note on Marine Traffic AIS that Seabourne Encore has been at Kaikoura today . Not many cruises stop there, but I guess they are small enough to get in close and tender ashore. May even be the first cruise ship call there. Good on them. The locals need the business after the earthquake .

Hope they saw lots of whales:)

I note on Marine Traffic AIS that Seabourne Encore has been at Kaikoura today . Not many cruises stop there, but I guess they are small enough to get in close and tender ashore. May even be the first cruise ship call there. Good on them. The locals need the business after the earthquake .

Hope they saw lots of whales:)

Always happy to hear of new stops.

So good for local economies

I had to google Kaikoura because I hadn't heard of it. Looks a really beautiful place. I was surprised to see a tag "we've open", until I noticed a sign about checking for road closures. Great that Seabourne Encore got to visit. No doubt the locals were happy.

I'm always surprised when small ships don't make the most of their size to visit unique road less travelled places.

I had to google Kaikoura because I hadn't heard of it. Looks a really beautiful place. I was surprised to see a tag "we've open", until I noticed a sign about checking for road closures. Great that Seabourne Encore got to visit. No doubt the locals were happy.

I'm always surprised when small ships don't make the most of their size to visit unique road less travelled places.

The main highway through Kaikoura was destroyed in places by a major earthquake in December 2016. It has only just been reopened, just before Christmas. It's a very popular spot for whale watching, and has the best crayfish in NZ.

You are right cruise ships do not call here very often.

I noticed that Azamara Quest is scheduled to call on the 17th of February 2019.

But at a cost of $5739 for the New Zealand cruise on Azamara I think I may have to fly/drive there to taste these delicious crayfish. :D

But at a cost of $5739 for the New Zealand cruise on Azamara I think I may have to fly/drive there to taste these delicious crayfish. :D

Good that Azamara Quest is scheduled to visit in February 2019.

I agree that it would be better value for Aussies to hire a car and fly/drive there.

Especially since you get the best crayfish, freshly caught and cooked, from Nins Bins which is a few kms north of Kaikoura.

BTW: "Literally, the name Kaikoura means “to eat crayfish”. It is said that the full name is Te Ahi-kai-koura-a-Tamatea-pokai-whenua meaning “the fire which Tamatea-pokai-whenua made to cook crayfish”. The legendary traveller stayed at Kaikoura Peninsula to cook crayfish during a journey."

A further bit of research on Kaikoura...the earthquake lifted the harbour bed by a metre , leaving the local fleet high and dry . When it was rebuilt they made provision for not only the whale watching fleet , but also room for cruise ships to land tender boats.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/98680647/kaikura-harbour-rebuilt-in-half-the-time-as-businesses-make-it-happen

perhaps we may see more calls there in the future.

A further bit of research on Kaikoura...the earthquake lifted the harbour bed by a metre , leaving the local fleet high and dry . When it was rebuilt they made provision for not only the whale watching fleet , but also room for cruise ships to land tender boats.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/98680647/kaikura-harbour-rebuilt-in-half-the-time-as-businesses-make-it-happen

Great stuff, planning for the future at least.

Interesting they’re in South Bay, the main port is on the other side of the Peninsular unless the earthquake has impacted that

Brings back memories from my childhood as we lived a couple of hours north in Blenheim. The earthquake in 2016 did huge damage to the coastal road

OzkiwiJJ - yes Nins Bin is the place for Crays - as we say “world famous in New Zealand”

and a very interesting spelling of Kaikoura on Marine Tracker - not sure what that means in Maori JJ?

9a78cc34da264d682836ea03423078a4.jpg

eaeac65e0437548d3ea9d99691bd470a.jpg

Edited by Bodogbodog

What a good news story about Government and private enterprise working together to achieve a successful outcome.

I hope they are rewarded by more small ship visits, in the future.

Cool, Blenheim is a nice area , lots of delicious wines as well.

Blenheim is better done from Picton. Blenheim to Kaikoura is a 2+ hr drive, more at the moment as they are stil working on the road.

You also have to give way to the seal pups when they cross the road.;p

Blenheim is better done from Picton. Blenheim to Kaikoura is a 2+ hr drive, more at the moment as they are stil working on the road.

You also have to give way to the seal pups when they cross the road.;p

Agreed, we did from Picton via Havelock.:D

Agreed, we did from Picton via Havelock.:D

Queen Charlotte Drive from Picton to Havelock is a very nice scenic route - if you like Mussels I hope you stopped at the Mussel Restaurant in Havelock - mussels prepared so many ways - but steamed is still my favourite