Maasdam - yea or nay?

ShyannDay

Hi there...

Have paid a deposit for a Neptune Suite on Maasdam for a East Coast/Canada sailing in May. I am concerned there will be little to do on the cruise, particularly in the evenings. I'm not one of these people who has to be kept busy all the time - not at all, but I recently cruised on Princess and was surprised by the level of their entertainment and also really enjoyed the Club Class dining. Maasdam doesn't have anything that compares to that. I only wish there was a Tamarind on board. From what I've read there isn't much in the way of evening entertainment on Maasdam. I'm NOT interested in any of their cooking classes either. Can anyone enlighten me as to what exactly there is to do in the evenings? I'm also concerned that the ship is in need of repair and we won't have updated TV's etc. I still have time to cancel the reservation if I need to. I am traveling with two elderly people (89 and 80 years) who have their own separate suite. I thought they might enjoy the smaller ship. Now I'm doubting my decision.

Thanks!

Cruises:

Ruby Princess Mexican Riviera October 28, 2017

HAL Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska September 2016

There will be music in the Ocean Bar; there will be music (piano player, often with requests) in The Mix. There will be some sort of show every evening in the showroom. Sometimes, there will be some event in The Crow's Nest.

If you were to dine at the later seating, you won't be done with your meal much before 9 p.m. A good part of the evening is in the dining room. If you prefer the early seating, then the showroom will be the place to go. Generally, there is a convivial group (not all drinking liquor) around the piano bar. There is generally pub trivia in The Mix at 7:00 p.m.

What else might interest you?

Jim

I almost forgot. There is string music in the Exploration's Lounge in the evening.

Many readers on Maasdam, thus the library/Exploration's Cafe is popular. That is where the jigsaw puzzles are and there are several games available in that area.

Jim

We have often posted how, on nearly all of our HAL cruises, the ship dies by 10pm. On most HAL cruises (we are 5 Star Mariners), DW and I will usually be among the very few passengers closing the last venue with live music (often a piano bar) about 11:30 (sometimes midnight).

What you say about Princess is true...and its also true on many other lines. On our most recent Princess cruise (Regal in Oct-Nov) is was SRO for the 11:30 PM late night adult comedy show :). On HAL if they even tried a late night show it is likely that the only attendees would be the comedian. I do not mean this as a slight...but simply fact. HAL has created its own image as a cruise line for old folks (yes, we are also seniors) and it is a self serving prophecy. We once asked a HAL cruise director did he think the lack of late night entertainment is why most HAL passengers go to their cabins by 10.....or is it that the fact that most HAL cruisers go to their cabins by 10 the reason HAL offers few late night options. The CD (an old friend) had a good laugh and admitted he was not sure....but also admitted he simply had few options to offer for late night entertainment.

On our most recent Celebrity Reflection Cruise we could choose between live entertainment in a nice lounge, live entertainment in the atrium, or late night disco/entertainment in an upper deck lounge. Three options.....all running until after 11:30.

Hank

There will be music in the Ocean Bar; there will be music (piano player, often with requests) in The Mix. There will be some sort of show every evening in the showroom. Sometimes, there will be some event in The Crow's Nest.

If you were to dine at the later seating, you won't be done with your meal much before 9 p.m. A good part of the evening is in the dining room. If you prefer the early seating, then the showroom will be the place to go. Generally, there is a convivial group (not all drinking liquor) around the piano bar. There is generally pub trivia in The Mix at 7:00 p.m.

What else might interest you?

Jim

Thank you for taking the time to reply - I appreciate it. I want my Aunt and Uncle to have entertainment options. Since I am responsible for planning everything, I have an extra amount of stress that I'm choosing wisely. I guess we will have to try the showroom although I've only heard negatives. I am a pianist and honestly don't want to listen to someone else play... :D. On the Nieuw Amsterdam there was BB King's which was pretty good and my Aunt and Uncle also enjoyed it (but not every night!). Have you stayed in the Neptune Suites by chance? I'm interested in their condition as I read some negative comments about the state of the ship.

We have often posted how, on nearly all of our HAL cruises, the ship dies by 10pm. On most HAL cruises (we are 5 Star Mariners), DW and I will usually be among the very few passengers closing the last venue with live music (often a piano bar) about 11:30 (sometimes midnight).

What you say about Princess is true...and its also true on many other lines. On our most recent Princess cruise (Regal in Oct-Nov) is was SRO for the 11:30 PM late night adult comedy show :). On HAL if they even tried a late night show it is likely that the only attendees would be the comedian. I do not mean this as a slight...but simply fact. HAL has created its own image as a cruise line for old folks (yes, we are also seniors) and it is a self serving prophecy. We once asked a HAL cruise director did he think the lack of late night entertainment is why most HAL passengers go to their cabins by 10.....or is it that the fact that most HAL cruisers go to their cabins by 10 the reason HAL offers few late night options. The CD (an old friend) had a good laugh and admitted he was not sure....but also admitted he simply had few options to offer for late night entertainment.

On our most recent Celebrity Reflection Cruise we could choose between live entertainment in a nice lounge, live entertainment in the atrium, or late night disco/entertainment in an upper deck lounge. Three options.....all running until after 11:30.

Hank

Hi Hank -

Thanks so much for your input. As I mentioned in my original post, I was surprised that there were so many entertainment options on Princess - and their quality! My first cruise was with HAL on the Niew Amsterdam and while it wasn't up to the level that I found (later) on Princess, at least there were a few lively options. It seems that there's even less on the Maasdam. I guess I just need to flip a coin and come to a final decision to stay on Maasdam or book another cruise line.

Best regards!

Not a suite person, so I cannot comment on how nice/bad they are.

We have sailed on Maasdam for 70 days, last time was March, 2015. Sure, it is an older ship. Sure, the TVs in the cabins are not the big attraction. Sure, small things get addressed promptly (a/c complaint one day and it was fixed the same day).

However, we sail for the itinerary, not the ship. However, we generally cruise on the smaller ships as it allows us to have lots of interaction with the crew. It is always a delight to have one of the crew members remember Karen and me before we have a chance to see their name tag. Somehow, you cannot get that on a ship with 3500+ passengers.

You have to decide where your priorities are. Music/dancing until late? A great itinerary? Lots of CC people to get to know? A comfortable cruise (maybe on an older ship)?

Jim

Massdam is a smaller quaint ship - if you are looking for late night parties and entertainment probably not a good choice for you

We think you have it wrong. If you are looking for late night parties and entertainment its best to look towards other cruise lines. Its just not about the Maasdam and the smaller ships. And also consider that "late night" on HAL means about 10pm!

Hank

Hi there...

Have paid a deposit for a Neptune Suite on Maasdam for a East Coast/Canada sailing in May. I am concerned there will be little to do on the cruise, particularly in the evenings. I'm not one of these people who has to be kept busy all the time - not at all, but I recently cruised on Princess and was surprised by the level of their entertainment and also really enjoyed the Club Class dining. Maasdam doesn't have anything that compares to that. I only wish there was a Tamarind on board. From what I've read there isn't much in the way of evening entertainment on Maasdam. I'm NOT interested in any of their cooking classes either. Can anyone enlighten me as to what exactly there is to do in the evenings? I'm also concerned that the ship is in need of repair and we won't have updated TV's etc. I still have time to cancel the reservation if I need to. I am traveling with two elderly people (89 and 80 years) who have their own separate suite. I thought they might enjoy the smaller ship. Now I'm doubting my decision.

Thanks!

Cruises:

Ruby Princess Mexican Riviera October 28, 2017

HAL Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska September 2016

Not sure why you want to be talked into taking this cruise. You know what you want, you have done your homework and it is unlikely the Maasdam will be right for you. Always say HAL ships work best for the self-contained passenger who basically likes to be left alone.

It is our experience that HAL passengers pay more attention to where they are going than what they are going to be doing on the ship itself. And that is often why they are early to bed people - tried from having visited a port or getting to bed early to be up for the next one.

We also experienced heavy vibrations on our last Maasdam cruise which is also something that would not be a happy experience when you are comparing this ship to your other cruise experiences. Not sure it this got fixed or if it was a factor of location, but it was on the Navigation (Neptune) deck. My vote - don't take this Maasdam cruise. She is a very lovely ship and long been one of our favorites, but all the drawbacks you noted will not make this a good choice for you and your own prior cruise expectations.

Thanks for coming here to get this feedback. I think the overall experiene would also stress you out too much if you felt you had to be responsible for this particular cruise ship choice. Stick with what you know so you too can have a nice vacation.

Given their ages, I'm betting that your aunt and uncle would absolutely love the smaller footprint of the Maasdam. However, if you won't be able to look beyond all the entertainment on a larger and different cruise line, then you should cancel.

I agree about the smaller footprint. That was why I initially chose Maasdam.

It's funny but all these responses from everyone seem to indicate that I'm asking for late night parties and extreme entertainment activities. Not what I indicated in my original post. I simply asked what the entertainment options were. I'm also not asking to be talked in to anything. The reason for asking the initial question is because there are either very negative posts about Maasdam or extreme positive posts about what a great old ship. It would be nice to get the perspective of someone who isn't immediately dismissive of anyone asking questions about the ship. I am a solitary person by nature and don't mind being left on my own but that doesn't mean that in paying for a Suite on a cruise that I don't expect and wish for an updated suite, good service and varied entertainment options.

My answer: 'It all depends on what Room you get on MAASDAM'. Seen some bad situations when aboard MAASDAM 30/days in April 2017 as regards leaking water, general need of Drydock, etc. Neptune Suites had as many issues as standard Rms. Forewarned, Sedate will perhaps accurately describe your evenings.

My answer: 'It all depends on what Room you get on MAASDAM'. Seen some bad situations when aboard MAASDAM 30/days in April 2017 as regards leaking water, general need of Drydock, etc. Neptune Suites had as many issues as standard Rms. Forewarned, Sedate will perhaps accurately describe your evenings.

Thanks so much for your answer! I think my doubt about the ship might be intuition talking. I very much appreciate your info.

We were on the Massdam in the Caribbean in March of 2016 with our friends. There were AC and plumbing problems in sections of the ship. Cruise was fine, but no AC isn't fun when it's hot regardless of what some cheerleaders say. And a non working toilet is unacceptable. Both were fixed in a day or so and we had a verandah which on the Maasdam is a much more expensive cabin compared to the newer HAL ships. Our friends were in a handicap inside cabin and the AC didn't work for most of the trip.

Others here have said it's all fixed since then. So good. But we'll probably not go on the Maasdam again unless the itinerary was exceptional because there is way more competition for my cruise dollars.

Dan

If a person were to investigate the future itineraries on Maasdam, I would believe that the folks at HAL have faith in its ability to offer a good cruise experience. Looking far ahead, Maasdam will be going on some unique itineraries. I don't believe that the folks in Seattle would be offering those if they had experience multiple complaints about the ship. Veendam and Amsterdam are similar size. Amsterdam is the World Cruise ship and Veendam is doing the New England, Bermuda, Cuba, Canada itineraries. All offer about the same amenities.

Jim

When the ship was last refurbished may not have much impact on A/C and plumbing issues. These are engineering systems that depreciate over time. It typically involves a great deal of money and a great deal of time and effort to refresh them. Certainly more that a two week dry dock.

I suspect that HAL's dry dock efforts are focused on cosmetic, revenue generating, and ship safety/operational issues than they are on depreciating AC and plumbing issues.

If a person were to investigate the future itineraries on Maasdam, I would believe that the folks at HAL have faith in its ability to offer a good cruise experience. Looking far ahead, Maasdam will be going on some unique itineraries. I don't believe that the folks in Seattle would be offering those if they had experience multiple complaints about the ship. Veendam and Amsterdam are similar size. Amsterdam is the World Cruise ship and Veendam is doing the New England, Bermuda, Cuba, Canada itineraries. All offer about the same amenities.

Jim

Jim, I really wish that DW and I could share your blind faith in the suits at Seattle. But having been on a few HAL ships that had major problems (related to passenger comfort) we have...what I would call "guarded faith" :). That being said, we have booked one of those terrific Maasdam itineraries (for 41 days) and will pray to the "cruise Gods" that our A/C works, toilet flushes, and we can get hot water (or any water) out of our cabin shower :). To be totally honest, we have long had a love/hate relationship with HAL. While we really love the itineraries, the wonderful staff/crew, and the small to medium size ships....we have grown weary of the maintenance woes we have encountered again and again.

Hank

Jim, I really wish that DW and I could share your blind faith in the suits at Seattle. But having been on a few HAL ships that had major problems (related to passenger comfort) we have...what I would call "guarded faith" :). That being said, we have booked one of those terrific Maasdam itineraries (for 41 days) and will pray to the "cruise Gods" that our A/C works, toilet flushes, and we can get hot water (or any water) out of our cabin shower :). To be totally honest, we have long had a love/hate relationship with HAL. While we really love the itineraries, the wonderful staff/crew, and the small to medium size ships....we have grown weary of the maintenance woes we have encountered again and again.

Hank

I agree with everything you said. We are booked on the Maasdam for the great 21 day cruise in Alaska. Wishing and hoping for the ship to be in good condition in 2019. We did the Amsterdam 14 day Alaska last Aug. Heard a lot of negative about the ship so just went and hoped because we loved the itinerary. We were in a Neptune Suite and we loved the suite and the ship. Everything worked and our room stewards were the best of any cruise line we had sailed. Sure there was some rust on balcony and the tile in tube was cracked a little but from what I had heard beforehand, this was slight.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

We were on the Massdam in the Caribbean in March of 2016 with our friends. There were AC and plumbing problems in sections of the ship. Cruise was fine, but no AC isn't fun when it's hot regardless of what some cheerleaders say. And a non working toilet is unacceptable. Both were fixed in a day or so and we had a verandah which on the Maasdam is a much more expensive cabin compared to the newer HAL ships. Our friends were in a handicap inside cabin and the AC didn't work for most of the trip.

Others here have said it's all fixed since then. So good. But we'll probably not go on the Maasdam again unless the itinerary was exceptional because there is way more competition for my cruise dollars.

Dan

Thanks so much for sharing your experience Dan. I can't risk any of these problems. My Aunt requires oxygen and even a chance of no A/C makes the risk too great. I understand these problems may be "fixed" but there are similar reports on cruises after yours.

We would not consider booking a cruise on any ship that a cruise line has up for sale. Especially if that ship is 20 years old and most especially if it has been on the auction block for an extended period of time.

Had no idea this was the case. If so, that indeed does not bode well. Thank you.

We would not consider booking a cruise on any ship that a cruise line has up for sale. Especially if that ship is 20 years old and most especially if it has been on the auction block for an extended period of time.

HAL President on our recent Veendam cruise said they expect to get a 30 year life out of a ship and HAL will to invest invest in them for that time range. Both Veendam and Maasdam still have useful life, but not for much longer. However, there is never a ship with "no A/C" - that is an exaggeration. Adjustments can be made to balky systems for better comfort, but sometimes this is temperature perception matter and not an actual temperature degree matter.

Most plumbing and cabin temperature problems are actually caused by passengers not following the "rules" - flushing things down toilets that don't belong and leaving verandah doors open which negatively affect all other ventilation systems on the circuit. A/C systems on the older ships do get stressed when traveling in the tropics and HAL official cabin temperature ranges (up to 75 degrees is HAL normal which many will find "too hot" when in the tropics) and this may not be acceptable for some/many. Know this before you go.